The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the best way to watch the films?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What is the best way to watch the films? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Ahem Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Where, in the viewing order, do you introduce the Star Wars Holiday Special?

I'm ready to admit I've seriously pondered this very question.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahem Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

... and can drink to forget.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ahem Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

Agreed, after they are old enough to drink!
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I haven't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating what someone else has said, I'm sorry.

I've read about this reordering elsewhere and also think it's a decent idea I might try when my kids are older. What I read even took it so far as to suggest leaving Ep. 1 out entirely. So the order would be 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. The reasoning is that Ep. 1 offers nothing vital to the main story. Every important character is reintroduced in Ep. 2, so Ep. 1 really is just a sideshow, sort of like what the new, non Eps. 7, 8, & 9, movies will be. So watch Ep. 1 after you watch the other five for the main story, rather than taking a meaningless detour in between ESB and AotC.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
I've read about this reordering elsewhere and also think it's a decent idea I might try when my kids are older. What I read even took it so far as to suggest leaving Ep. 1 out entirely. So the order would be 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. The reasoning is that Ep. 1 offers nothing vital to the main story. Every important character is reintroduced in Ep. 2, so Ep. 1 really is just a sideshow, sort of like what the new, non Eps. 7, 8, & 9, movies will be. So watch Ep. 1 after you watch the other five for the main story, rather than taking a meaningless detour in between ESB and AotC.

I think viewing order is an important consideration for children. That is the order I did for my son, except I showed Episode 1 first and then that order. No "sideshow" "detours" once the "vital" story has commenced. Episode 1 requires a similar maturity level as 4 and 5. Putting aside the merits (or lack thereof) of Episode 1 itself, watching it before the rest does nothing to the rest. And you may find that your kids like it more than you do, so why don't you just let them decide its merit since it doesn't do anything to ruin the experience of the rest of the films?

Even after watching Episode 1 first and liking it, my son's favorite film of Lucas' whole saga is still Episode 4, so watching 1 first did not have any negative impact on his appreciation for the original Star Wars. You say there is nothing vital in 1 to the rest of the story, but if so then there is also nothing detracting to the rest of the story either. For more casual Star Wars fans, the prequels are almost completely without dramatic value to people that have already seen Episode 6 first. Watching Episode 1 first won't ruin the rest, but watching 1 last may render 1 nearly worthless dramatically if your kids don't end up loving all Star Wars so much that they just crave another no matter what.

Since 1980, early in Episode 6's preproduction, Episode 6 was intended to be the conclusion to Lucas' story. The prequels didn't change that and Lucas admitted that. We already knew what happened, so it was only a question of how it happened. The prequels did give perspective on Anakin Skywalker's side of the story, his fall and redemption, but the Jedi's redemption and destruction of the Sith Master of the Empire was already told. The post-classic generation of SW fans now have the option of seeing the ending last. Even Episodes 2 and 3 are detours, backstory to the real main story which has always been 4, 5 and 6. The main musical theme of Star Wars is Luke's theme, and Luke's theme is still used for the prequels. Don't be fooled by the existence of Lucas' story treatments for 7, 8 and 9. After 2005, Lucas only gathered together the unused notes for further stories ideas and wrote up some new stuff to include in the package a selling point for Disney who's best interest in buying the franchise obviously would be to make new films. But those were not Lucas' third trilogy notes as they were (unaltered from the 70s) because Lucas' third trilogy was based on the Emperor not being killed in 6 and Luke's long-lost sister being a new character instead of being Leia. When Lucas decided in 1980 that 6 would be the end, he pulled stuff from his third trilogy and put it into 6 to have it be more conclusive. And Disney rejected Lucas' post-2005 repackaged story treatments, probably because they were crap. So my point is, the end of Lucas' saga is 6, so I feel strongly that no matter what order anyone watches the rest, 6 should be last.

You could even show 1 first and then wait a while before diving into the "vital" saga. Of course, it's your kids and you know best for them, so I'm just throwing this out there for consideration. Best wishes!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
cheshire wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

I have some vague memories of it from watching it on TV in my childhood, and I think I'm good forever. My son isn't even aware of its existence. We have watched the animated sequence from it because it was included in the blu-ray special features, but that's it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
cheshire wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

I have some vague memories of it from watching it on TV in my childhood, and I think I'm good forever. My son isn't even aware of its existence. We have watched the animated sequence from it because it was included in the blu-ray special features, but that's it.

If you want the kids emotionally invested in the Ewoks for episode 6, just throw in the two Ewok movies some weekend. Not high cinema by any streach, but they were fun when I was a kid.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed them to the kids before they'd seen RotJ. They thought they were wonderfully entertaining. Not going to lie, even I found the first one great for nostalgic fun. No, not high cinema, but I can appreciate something along with its faults.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ewok movies, etc. Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
If you want the kids emotionally invested in the Ewoks for episode 6, just throw in the two Ewok movies some weekend. Not high cinema by any streach, but they were fun when I was a kid.
cheshire wrote:
I showed them to the kids before they'd seen RotJ. They thought they were wonderfully entertaining. Not going to lie, even I found the first one great for nostalgic fun. No, not high cinema, but I can appreciate something along with its faults.

The Ewok films were my son's first live-action Star Wars. My son and I liked both the Wilford Brimley one better, probably because it had blasters and a big battle in it.

Including all the kiddie Star Wars, this was my son's first-time viewing order. The first two were pure serendipity not at all planned. We just turned on the TV one Saturday and the first one just started and we watched it, immediately followed by the second, after never previously even knowing of their existence.

Lego Star Wars: The Padawan Menace & The Empire Strikes Out
Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles (some episodes on TV, ongoing)
Holiday Special (animated sequence only!)
Droids animated series
Ewoks animated series
Rebels (ongoing)
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
I: The Phantom Menace
IV: A New Hope
V: The Empire Strikes Back
II: Attack of the Clones (edited)
Clone Wars (original 2D animated series)
II: Attack of the Clones (unedited)
III: Revenge of the Sith
VI: Return of the Jedi
VII: The Force Awakens

I have one final thing remaining in my secret Star Wars stash, The Clone Wars (2008 film) that I'll probably give my next year for his birthday or something. No rush on that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had kids, I'd be strongly inclined to not show them TFA or TLJ at all until we see how EIX turns out.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If I had kids, I'd be strongly inclined to not show them TFA or TLJ at all until we see how EIX turns out.

In my childhood, I first saw Star Wars (ANH) and TESB before seeing RotJ, not knowing how the trilogy was going to turn out or if I was even going to like it.

I get where you are coming from, but kids mature enough to see these PG-13 movies at home are almost always going to be old enough to see these movies in the theater. Not letting them see the movies when they are new means they are being robbed of the new Star Wars movie theatrical experience, and they will be spoiled on the movies by their friends who do see them.

For better or worse, the current Star Wars movies are the current generation's new Star Wars movies. And besides, it is extremely likely that when these modern kids grow up, Star Wars is going to totally suck and they will look back fondly on the comparatively good movies of their childhood. All people should have new Star Wars movie theatrical experience memories of their childhoods, but which movies they are just depends on when they grew up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to start a rewatch by watching a few of Star Wars fan-made shorts. Here's a few of my favorites.

Troopers (Cops): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoZBDIPDP8

Hoshino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-n36MBs1A

Dark Legacy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gKpJy3bzaw
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prequel experience was kinda like Whill's OT experience...
I still haven't seen the prequels since they were in theaters. I saw Episode 1 twice in a row. Waited till Episode 2 was in the Dollar Theater to see it once. Saw Episode 3 once in a regular theater.

To introduce an uninitiated adult to SW, ANH is the best option. Since SW has so permeated the pop culture, they spend the whole movie saying "Oh this is what that's from".
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm from the original generation of Star Wars fans. Back in our day, there were no home video versions (at least that everyday Americans had access to). You saw a SW film in the theater and you had no choice but to wait 3 years for the next one.

My friend talks about how he managed to get, from someone at a high school AV club, a cassette tape of ANH. Not an audibook type thing, or the radio drama, mind you. It had all the dialog, sound effects, and music. It was as if you just recorded the movie sound reels onto a cassette. He used to listen to that on his headphones because there was no VHS in the late 70's/early 80's.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
My prequel experience was kinda like Whill's OT experience...

My friend talks about how he managed to get, from someone at a high school AV club, a cassette tape of ANH. Not an audibook type thing, or the radio drama, mind you. It had all the dialog, sound effects, and music. It was as if you just recorded the movie sound reels onto a cassette. He used to listen to that on his headphones because there was no VHS in the late 70's/early 80's.

Timothy Zahn said he had audio recordings of the classic trilogy and he used to play them in the car when traveling on family vacations. I didn't have that. Before 1987, I had seen ANH twice and the two sequels once each. Here is my early OT viewing history:

1977 - once - The original SW in The Strand, the 10th oldest operating movie theater in the nation (in my hometown of Delaware, Ohio).
1980 - once - TESB in Columbus, Ohio
1983 - once - RotJ in new side screen of The Strand
1984 - TV broadcast of the original SW on CBS

1987 - My best friend got them on VHS and we trilogized. I saved up money at my high school job and bought my own VHS copies, which began the pattern of watching each episode of the trilogy about once per month which lasted into 1996.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: