The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the best way to watch the films? (viewing order)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What is the best way to watch the films? (viewing order) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Ahem Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Where, in the viewing order, do you introduce the Star Wars Holiday Special?

I'm ready to admit I've seriously pondered this very question.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahem Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

... and can drink to forget.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ahem Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

Agreed, after they are old enough to drink!
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I haven't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating what someone else has said, I'm sorry.

I've read about this reordering elsewhere and also think it's a decent idea I might try when my kids are older. What I read even took it so far as to suggest leaving Ep. 1 out entirely. So the order would be 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. The reasoning is that Ep. 1 offers nothing vital to the main story. Every important character is reintroduced in Ep. 2, so Ep. 1 really is just a sideshow, sort of like what the new, non Eps. 7, 8, & 9, movies will be. So watch Ep. 1 after you watch the other five for the main story, rather than taking a meaningless detour in between ESB and AotC.
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
I've read about this reordering elsewhere and also think it's a decent idea I might try when my kids are older. What I read even took it so far as to suggest leaving Ep. 1 out entirely. So the order would be 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. The reasoning is that Ep. 1 offers nothing vital to the main story. Every important character is reintroduced in Ep. 2, so Ep. 1 really is just a sideshow, sort of like what the new, non Eps. 7, 8, & 9, movies will be. So watch Ep. 1 after you watch the other five for the main story, rather than taking a meaningless detour in between ESB and AotC.

I think viewing order is an important consideration for children. That is the order I did for my son, except I showed Episode 1 first and then that order. No "sideshow" "detours" once the "vital" story has commenced. Episode 1 requires a similar maturity level as 4 and 5. Putting aside the merits (or lack thereof) of Episode 1 itself, watching it before the rest does nothing to the rest. And you may find that your kids like it more than you do, so why don't you just let them decide its merit since it doesn't do anything to ruin the experience of the rest of the films?

Even after watching Episode 1 first and liking it, my son's favorite film of Lucas' whole saga is still Episode 4, so watching 1 first did not have any negative impact on his appreciation for the original Star Wars. You say there is nothing vital in 1 to the rest of the story, but if so then there is also nothing detracting to the rest of the story either. For more casual Star Wars fans, the prequels are almost completely without dramatic value to people that have already seen Episode 6 first. Watching Episode 1 first won't ruin the rest, but watching 1 last may render 1 nearly worthless dramatically if your kids don't end up loving all Star Wars so much that they just crave another no matter what.

Since 1980, early in Episode 6's preproduction, Episode 6 was intended to be the conclusion to Lucas' story. The prequels didn't change that and Lucas admitted that. We already knew what happened, so it was only a question of how it happened. The prequels did give perspective on Anakin Skywalker's side of the story, his fall and redemption, but the Jedi's redemption and destruction of the Sith Master of the Empire was already told. The post-classic generation of SW fans now have the option of seeing the ending last. Even Episodes 2 and 3 are detours, backstory to the real main story which has always been 4, 5 and 6. The main musical theme of Star Wars is Luke's theme, and Luke's theme is still used for the prequels. Don't be fooled by the existence of Lucas' story treatments for 7, 8 and 9. After 2005, Lucas only gathered together the unused notes for further stories ideas and wrote up some new stuff to include in the package a selling point for Disney who's best interest in buying the franchise obviously would be to make new films. But those were not Lucas' third trilogy notes as they were (unaltered from the 70s) because Lucas' third trilogy was based on the Emperor not being killed in 6 and Luke's long-lost sister being a new character instead of being Leia. When Lucas decided in 1980 that 6 would be the end, he pulled stuff from his third trilogy and put it into 6 to have it be more conclusive. And Disney rejected Lucas' post-2005 repackaged story treatments, probably because they were crap. So my point is, the end of Lucas' saga is 6, so I feel strongly that no matter what order anyone watches the rest, 6 should be last.

You could even show 1 first and then wait a while before diving into the "vital" saga. Of course, it's your kids and you know best for them, so I'm just throwing this out there for consideration. Best wishes!
Registration & Log-In Help
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
cheshire wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

I have some vague memories of it from watching it on TV in my childhood, and I think I'm good forever. My son isn't even aware of its existence. We have watched the animated sequence from it because it was included in the blu-ray special features, but that's it.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
cheshire wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Only after they're 21...

I have some vague memories of it from watching it on TV in my childhood, and I think I'm good forever. My son isn't even aware of its existence. We have watched the animated sequence from it because it was included in the blu-ray special features, but that's it.

If you want the kids emotionally invested in the Ewoks for episode 6, just throw in the two Ewok movies some weekend. Not high cinema by any streach, but they were fun when I was a kid.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed them to the kids before they'd seen RotJ. They thought they were wonderfully entertaining. Not going to lie, even I found the first one great for nostalgic fun. No, not high cinema, but I can appreciate something along with its faults.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ewok movies, etc. Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
If you want the kids emotionally invested in the Ewoks for episode 6, just throw in the two Ewok movies some weekend. Not high cinema by any streach, but they were fun when I was a kid.
cheshire wrote:
I showed them to the kids before they'd seen RotJ. They thought they were wonderfully entertaining. Not going to lie, even I found the first one great for nostalgic fun. No, not high cinema, but I can appreciate something along with its faults.

The Ewok films were my son's first live-action Star Wars. My son and I liked both the Wilford Brimley one better, probably because it had blasters and a big battle in it.

Including all the kiddie Star Wars, this was my son's first-time viewing order. The first two were pure serendipity not at all planned. We just turned on the TV one Saturday and the first one just started and we watched it, immediately followed by the second, after never previously even knowing of their existence.

Lego Star Wars: The Padawan Menace & The Empire Strikes Out
Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles (some episodes on TV, ongoing)
Holiday Special (animated sequence only!)
Droids animated series
Ewoks animated series
Rebels (ongoing)
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
I: The Phantom Menace
IV: A New Hope
V: The Empire Strikes Back
II: Attack of the Clones (edited)
Clone Wars (original 2D animated series)
II: Attack of the Clones (unedited)
III: Revenge of the Sith
VI: Return of the Jedi
VII: The Force Awakens

I have one final thing remaining in my secret Star Wars stash, The Clone Wars (2008 film) that I'll probably give my next year for his birthday or something. No rush on that.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to watch the films? (viewing order) Reply with quote

Chronological Star Wars (for reference)
TPM
AotC
RotS
Solo
RO
ANH
TESB
RotJ
TFA
TLJ

CRMcNeill wrote:
A friend of mine is a high school teacher, and for the end of the school year, he showed all six films to his classes, including several who had never seen any of the movies. Apparently, several new Star Wars fans have been born, thanks to my friend Craig. When I asked in which order he showed the films, his response is quite likely the best I have ever heard.

He shows ANH first, followed by ESB, then cuts to the prequels, ending with ROTJ, basically showing the entire prequel trilogy as a flashback of how Anakin fell and became Darth Vader, while simultaneously amping up the suspense and the angst for Jedi. Honestly, if I were to show the films to someone who had never seen them before, I can't think of a better way to do it. Thoughts?

Back before TFA came out, I created a little Parents Guide to Star Wars films that included a suggested first viewing order for children with some commentary about content for the films. For a while it was quite popular among parent friends and family who weren't as die hard SW fans as I am. They wanted to give their children the proper background in Star Wars before the new films. I updated the guide for TFA, but it is now three movies out of date.

Besides it being PG-13, Solo definitely can't be watched before ANH because that destroys the drama of Han's dramatic return to save Luke from Vader (Solo shows Han being "the good guy" at the end.) I've lately been thinking about the new films, so here it goes...

TPM
ANH
TESB
Re-watch TPM
AotC
RotS
Solo
RO
Re-watch ANH
Re-watch TESB
RotJ
TFA
TLJ
IX

The bolded ones are first time viewings. As far as what age to start kids on this and when to move on to the next one on the list, that is purely up to parental guidance. (It could possibly be years between TESB and AotC and RotS depending on the child). Before moving on to the next movies, repeat viewings of previously watched films is of course fine, but my suggested re-watches above are best not long before the next film in the sequence. By watching TESB before RotS, this order preserves the drama of Vader's parental revelation to Luke, and then eases the child into the confirmation of it's truth by showing Anakin's decent into darkness.

As CRM informed about his teacher friend showing the Lucas films to his class, I think moving TPM's first viewing until after TESB is fine too, but TPM is a good quintessential film due to the final battle having an outdoor ground battle, an indoor battle action, a lightsaber battle, and a space battle. And watching TPM before ANH does set the stage for the generational aspect of the saga which may help when watching the films out of order. Telling the children viewers that Luke Skywalker is little Ani's dad when he was a kid doesn't spoil anything because TPM makes no overt connections to Anakin becoming Vader or Leia being Luke's sister, like watching ANH without TPM. Watching TPM before ANH also gives some context to Obi-Wan talking about the Jedi Order and the Republic, and seeing Obi-Wan when he was a young man and and Jedi apprentice really shows what Obi-Wan was offering Luke in ANH. So for all these reasons, TPM wins out as my suggested first viewed film. When the child is ready to move on to AotC (after watching ANH and TESB), TPM should be re-watched to continue it's narrative.

AotC is the most mature PG rated SW film, so this will be a significant step forward for a child. To show AotC earlier for my son, I showed him a slightly edited version that removed, Anakin's slaughter of the Tusken camp, Anakin later talking about it to Padme, and Jango Fett's decapitation with Boba reaction showing he saw it happen (I just told him that Mace Windu killed Jango Fett).

Even after four new Disney films that are all PG-13, I still feel that Lucas's only PG-13 film, RotS, is the most mature SW film over all. When a child is ready for that, they will probably be ready for it all. After watching RotS the first time, I recommend the child watching Solo and RO, re-watching ANH and TESB, then watching RotJ is a fairly short succession of no more than a week apart from each other. This gets the child to RotJ only 5 weeks later after watching RotS, which is longer now that the two anthology prequels are in the mix, but still not too long to experience the parallels between the final episodes of each trilogy. RotS enhances RotJ. RotJ's decrease in maturity level and two new inter-trilogy prequels do not at all weaken my opinion that RotS should be watched before RotJ, which has always the conclusion of Lucas's saga.

Then of course the sequel trilogy can be watched whenever getting to it after RotJ. I think this order also works for adults new to Star Wars (as few as they may be, they do exist).

But without the maturity level concerns, I think straight chronological order is fine for older kids or adults as well. I call banta poodu on the prequel-basher sentiment that the prequels ruin the classic films. When I met my wife in the Fall of 2005 and we started dating, she had never seen any Star Wars. So I showed the Lucas films too her in chronological order and you know what? RotS totally enhanced the drama of the classic trilogy starting with ANH. At the end of RotS, she understood the next trilogy was about those babies when they grow up. Can they succeed where Yoda and Obi-Wan failed? She utterly despised Vader in the classic films after seeing his betrayal and evil in RotS. Vader was holding his daughter while she watched Alderaan be destroyed (and "Jimmy Smits" died), and Vader was trying to gun his own son down in the trench! She was shocked when Obi-Wan disappeared. And for TESB, despite already knowing the truth of Vader's revelation, she still felt it was dramatic and felt Luke's pain at being told that. In RotJ she was distraught when Luke threw his lightsaber away because she knew the Sith lightning was coming and he couldn't defend himself. She was totally surprised by Anakin's return and felt very satisfied that that evil bastard finally did the right thing. Upon seeing Vader's funeral pyre, she recalled the prophecy of the chosen one and was satisfied that Qui-Gon was right about Anakin all along. I had specifically been warned that if I showed her the prequels first, she would hate the classic films, especially TESB. Poodu. In the end, TESB, the film most spoiled by the prequels, was her favorite Star Wars film of them all. She really doesn't care for AotC or RotS, but in her first run-through of the series, they did their intended job of enhancing her experience watching the classic films.
griff
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great to come back to this. I will take the view of a teenager viewing for the first time.

Rogue One
This is a good introduction to the universe. Jedi are mentioned but not shown. Leia and Vader are introduced.

A New Hope
Just for the continuation and the introduction of the rest of the characters and Jedi.

The Empire Strikes Back
I thought about TPM here but Obi-wan had already mentioned that Vader was his student not Anakin. TESB is here just to keep the "I am your father" the big suprise.

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clone

The Revenge of the Sith
Yes I would watch the prequels here. I think the reveal that Luke and Leia are brother and sister fits here better.

The Return of the Jedi
Finishing Vader's redemption story here works best after following him through the prequels.

The Force Awakens
Mostly here for continuation of the story.

Solo
After losing Han it would be nice to he his beginning. A the dice connect nicely with.....

The Last Jedi
The chronolicly the last should be viewed last.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm liking Griff's viewing order. While the only change I might make is to put Solo before Rogue One just for the sake of chronology, it also makes sense to put Solo after TFA to heighten how tragic Han Solo's life has become by the time he dies at the hand of his own son.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, I'm liking Griff's viewing order.

For teenagers or older, I agree that Griff's order works. Rogue One really does belong before ANH, but it just isn't best for younger children.

Sutehp wrote:
While the only change I might make is to put Solo before Rogue One just for the sake of chronology, it also makes sense to put Solo after TFA to heighten how tragic Han Solo's life has become by the time he dies at the hand of his own son.

I almost wish that Solo had come out before TFA so we would get to see Han's "origin story" before his death. I'm not saying Solo being Disney's first SW film would have been better for the franchise or any other silly what-if sentiments. It was probably best for a lot of fans to see Harrison Ford's Han die before accepting new actor taking on the role.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had kids, I'd be strongly inclined to not show them TFA or TLJ at all until we see how EIX turns out.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
griff
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Rogue One being first and the "total party kill" aspect of the movie, gives the "nobody is safe" feel. And with Obi-Wan ' s death in IV reinforces it. I had also thought of putting Solo between III and VI because Han was the major focus for the beginning of VI, but I thought it slowed down Vader's story too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: