The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the best way to watch the films? (viewing order)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What is the best way to watch the films? (viewing order) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If I had kids, I'd be strongly inclined to not show them TFA or TLJ at all until we see how EIX turns out.

In my childhood, I first saw Star Wars (ANH) and TESB before seeing RotJ, not knowing how the trilogy was going to turn out or if I was even going to like it.

I get where you are coming from, but kids mature enough to see these PG-13 movies at home are almost always going to be old enough to see these movies in the theater. Not letting them see the movies when they are new means they are being robbed of the new Star Wars movie theatrical experience, and they will be spoiled on the movies by their friends who do see them.

For better or worse, the current Star Wars movies are the current generation's new Star Wars movies. And besides, it is extremely likely that when these modern kids grow up, Star Wars is going to totally suck and they will look back fondly on the comparatively good movies of their childhood. All people should have new Star Wars movie theatrical experience memories of their childhoods, but which movies they are just depends on when they grew up.
Registration & Log-In Help
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
With Rogue One being first and the "total party kill" aspect of the movie, gives the "nobody is safe" feel. And with Obi-Wan ' s death in IV reinforces it. I had also thought of putting Solo between III and VI because Han was the major focus for the beginning of VI, but I thought it slowed down Vader's story too much.

I love how much thought you've put into this. I do disagree on the Obi-Wan's death because he almost immediately spoke to Luke after dying, showing that in some form he wasn't really dead. However yes, RO totally enhances the drama of ANH and I really do see your general point.

When I was a kid, it was my dad was the movie fanatic who took my brother and I to see Star Wars. He liked the movies too.

You guys will probably be surprised to hear this, but my mom, mother of two huge Star Wars fans, has never seen any Star Wars movies. Growing up as country girl on a farm, she had never been exposed to sci-fi. She didn't watch Lost in Space or Star Trek. Before she met my dad, my mom went on date with a guy who took her to see 2001: A Space Odyssey. She didn't get it. She didn't like it. Ever since then, she has had an aversion to "space" movies. I've tried to tell her that Star Wars is an adventure movie and almost nothing like 2001, but she just doesn't care. Several years back I told her that she had to watch the original Star Wars after she retired. She said, "Why after I retire?" I said because she would have more free time and be less likely to resist and refuse. She chuckled and agreed that I was probably right about that. She has been retired for a couple years now and nearing 70. She had a couple back surgeries earlier this year so is less mobile.

My step-dad also has never seen Star Wars, but he is not a movie person in general. He is in his 70s but can probably count the number of times he has been to the movie theater in his life on one hand. He mostly watches sports. He is a channel flipper and he has seen parts of a lot of movies. Almost all the movies he has seen completely in his life have been in watching parts of them in multiple viewings until he happens to see all of them. He's not into "space" either.

I am really tempted to show them RO and ANH because of how RO makes ANH even better. But they would be asking them to do two movies which would have to be two separate occasions. And they are a different tone, so out of the two, there is a greater chance they wouldn't like RO and then they might not have much motivation to sit through a second movie some other time. I don't want them dreading another "space" movie after the first one because that could really poison them on ANH.

If they haven't seen the original Star Wars after 41 years or any of the now 10 movies, I think that unfortunately it is probably too much to expect them to do two movies and suffer through the modern dark one for the happy ending of the second one. I think it is probably best to just show them ANH and that way even if they don't like it, they will have at least seen the original classic Star Wars. RO enhances ANH, but ANH also totally works on its own. It was the only Star Wars movie for its first three years and made without certainly of their ever being sequels.

So it looks like viewing order for my mom and step-dad will be: 1) ANH.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
With Rogue One being first and the "total party kill" aspect of the movie, gives the "nobody is safe" feel. And with Obi-Wan ' s death in IV reinforces it. I had also thought of putting Solo between III and VI because Han was the major focus for the beginning of VI, but I thought it slowed down Vader's story too much.

It never really occurred to me before you suggested this, but the attention to detail that went into Rogue One, with hairstyles, costuming choices, all the little cameos, etc, Rogue One really does fit well as an introduction to the OT in a way that Solo lacks. Switching from Solo to ANH would be, well, jarring is the most apt word that comes to mind, whereas Rogue One just feels like it belongs.
Whill wrote:
I love how much thought you've put into this. I do disagree on the Obi-Wan's death because he almost immediately spoke to Luke after dying, showing that in some form he wasn't really dead. However yes, RO totally enhances the drama of ANH and I really do see your general point.

I think, if anything, the TPK at the end of RO enhances the surprise of hearing Obi-wan's voice. It's established that heroes can die, and we see it happen yet again, and- wait, why can we still hear his voice?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Solo4114
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I debate between doing something like the Machete order, and doing things the way I experienced them.

My rough idea at the moment is as follows:

ANH
ESB
ROTJ

TFA
TLJ
Ep. IX (since, by the time I'm doing this with my daughter, Ep. IX will have come out already).

Possibly followed by the GRAND rewatch

Filioni Clone Wars Cartoon
ROTS
Rebels
Solo
R1
ANH
ESB
ROTJ

TFA
TLJ
Ep. IX

I still haven't seen Solo, so I'm not sure where/whether to slot that in.

Alternatively, I might do:

ANH
ESB
Clone Wars Cartoon
ROTS
Solo
Rebels
R1
ANH
ESB
ROTJ

TFA
TLJ
Ep. IX
Zarn
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to start a rewatch by watching a few of Star Wars fan-made shorts. Here's a few of my favorites.

Troopers (Cops): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoZBDIPDP8

Hoshino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-n36MBs1A

Dark Legacy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gKpJy3bzaw
TauntaunScout
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prequel experience was kinda like Whill's OT experience...
I still haven't seen the prequels since they were in theaters. I saw Episode 1 twice in a row. Waited till Episode 2 was in the Dollar Theater to see it once. Saw Episode 3 once in a regular theater.

To introduce an uninitiated adult to SW, ANH is the best option. Since SW has so permeated the pop culture, they spend the whole movie saying "Oh this is what that's from".
TauntaunScout
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm from the original generation of Star Wars fans. Back in our day, there were no home video versions (at least that everyday Americans had access to). You saw a SW film in the theater and you had no choice but to wait 3 years for the next one.

My friend talks about how he managed to get, from someone at a high school AV club, a cassette tape of ANH. Not an audibook type thing, or the radio drama, mind you. It had all the dialog, sound effects, and music. It was as if you just recorded the movie sound reels onto a cassette. He used to listen to that on his headphones because there was no VHS in the late 70's/early 80's.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
My prequel experience was kinda like Whill's OT experience...

My friend talks about how he managed to get, from someone at a high school AV club, a cassette tape of ANH. Not an audibook type thing, or the radio drama, mind you. It had all the dialog, sound effects, and music. It was as if you just recorded the movie sound reels onto a cassette. He used to listen to that on his headphones because there was no VHS in the late 70's/early 80's.

Timothy Zahn said he had audio recordings of the classic trilogy and he used to play them in the car when traveling on family vacations. I didn't have that. Before 1987, I had seen ANH twice and the two sequels once each. Here is my early OT viewing history:

1977 - once - The original SW in The Strand, the 10th oldest operating movie theater in the nation (in my hometown of Delaware, Ohio).
1980 - once - TESB in Columbus, Ohio
1983 - once - RotJ in new side screen of The Strand
1984 - TV broadcast of the original SW on CBS

1987 - My best friend got them on VHS and we trilogized. I saved up money at my high school job and bought my own VHS copies, which began the pattern of watching each episode of the trilogy about once per month which lasted into 1996.
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On CBS"? That's quite a detailed recollection.

Now, do you remember how much your VHS tapes cost when you bought them new?

For quite some time, I had an old copy of Rainman on VHS with the price tag on it from Music Plus.

In 1988, the home video cost $89. 99. Shocked
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

For quite some time, I had an old copy of Rainman on VHS with the price tag on it from Music Plus.

In 1988, the home video cost $89. 99. Shocked

What.

I very well might be misremembering, but I only remember VHS tapes in 1988 being about $30 or $40.

At least my family never made the mistake of getting a BetaMax, though.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 was when VHS tapes started coming down in price.

Naaman wrote:

I didn't remember which TV network and wasn't sure about the year until I looked it up. The internet can be a wonderful thing.

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2013/07/18/Star-Wars-Network-TV-Premiere-on-CBS-1984

Naaman wrote:

This I do have a better memory for. Throughout most of high school I worked at a store that had lottery, candy, pipe tobacco, magazines, books, newspapers, comic books, RPGs, and VHS rental. The pay sucked (even under minimum wage because they had less than 10 employees), but they did let me buy anything for wholesale, including VHS tapes. Before the SW Trilogy, I had bought the first four Star Trek movies. From their distributor, all seven of those films had an MSRP of $79.95, and I believe the wholesale cost was about 35% off of that. So I got them at a "bargain" price of $50-some each, which of course was even more money back then than it is now. It took me a while to save up for things.

Before the Star Trek tapes, my first purchases with saved-up work money was a small TV and VCR* for my bedroom, plus a Sony Walkman that played audio cassettes, AM and FM!

* corrected dyslexic transposal of letters

Last edited by Whill on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VRC? Don't you mean a VCR? Or was that a typo on your part?

One reason I remember this is because of Babylon 5's reference to Vickers.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
VRC? Don't you mean a VCR? Or was that a typo on your part?

One reason I remember this is because of Babylon 5's reference to Vickers.

Yes, I meant VCR. I'm somewhat dyslexic, which is why I started calling a gamemaster character by the D&D term NPC because I couldn't stop typing CG instead of GC.

I've never seen Babylon 5.
RyanDarkstar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

My mom bought us The Story of Star Wars on LP in 1977.

We also had a cassette with The Story of The Empire Strikes Back, which I think came out in 1980. Both of these were narrated, abridged recordings of the movies. We also had the cringe-inducing Read-Along versions ("You will know it is time to turn the page, when you hear R2-D2 beep like this - *burp blap*").

When the movies were re-released with each subsequent sequel, we were stunned by the "extra" material that had been cut from the abridged audio recordings. And, it was such a treat when they were shown on TV, along with the Making of... documentaries.

We didn't have a VCR until they started coming down in price, probably around 1987. Before that, we'd rent a VCR and a bunch of tapes from a small kiosk in the mall and spend the weekend watching and re-watching movies. The Star Wars Trilogy were among our first VHS rentals, and later, our first purchases (which were so pricey! I remember when T2 came out for $110!).
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I've never seen Babylon 5.

You need to remedy that. It's good sci-fi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: