The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sword lock and a punch to the face!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sword lock and a punch to the face! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Sword lock and a punch to the face! Reply with quote

I've been turning this one over in my head for a couple of years, and here's what I've come up with recently.

We see in many movies opponents sword fighting who manage to land a couple of good punches or kicks in the middle of the fight.

However, most RPGs don't really allow for this without somehow introducing overly complicated rules or the character having to purchase "special abilities." For example, in d20, the "attack of opportunity" prevents a character from making an unarmed attack against an armed defender (even though the attacker may also be armed). In D6, an armed opponent gets a bonus on his parry rolls if you are unarmed, however, in some cases (lightsabers come to mind), you'd just lose your arm if your opponent "blocked" with his weapon.

Yet, we see in many lightsaber fights, people get punched or kicked, despite their opponent's lightsaber.

So, here's what I've come up with:

If the attack roll and the parry roll are exactly equal, both players may immediately roll brawling. The character who rolls higher hits his opponent, and rolls damage as normal.

It's fast, simple and easy to incorporate.

There is no opportunity to roll brawling parry, since you're already busy parrying your opponent's weapon.

This may be a critical time to drop some character points (on either the attack roll, the damage roll, or both) in order to get that crucial edge that could turn the tables in your favor.

I'd like to work in an option where a character can opt to roll brawling parry instead of brawling, but I'm not sure how I want to work that yet... so it'll have to wait.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting. It's quick and cinematic, and though it is improbable it's probably just rare enough to merit having some trick up your sleeve.

P.S.
For what it's worth, it drives me batty in historical swordsmanship when someone tries to do a "sword lock" sort of thing with pushing blade against blade. Well... I don't know if "batty" is quite the right word, because it's all too easy to change the angle of the attack and get a swift cut to the head when they do it.

But of course games and cinematics are a whole different thing altogether.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, especially the "quick and easy" part. Let us know how it goes when you try it!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
That's very interesting. It's quick and cinematic, and though it is improbable it's probably just rare enough to merit having some trick up your sleeve.

P.S.
For what it's worth, it drives me batty in historical swordsmanship when someone tries to do a "sword lock" sort of thing with pushing blade against blade. Well... I don't know if "batty" is quite the right word, because it's all too easy to change the angle of the attack and get a swift cut to the head when they do it.

But of course games and cinematics are a whole different thing altogether.

Plus if you rake your blade down theirs you can smack their hand//arm.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I am no sword fighter, but I have read similar remarks from actual swordsmen bemoaning the whole sword lock thing (that we see so much of in Star Wars). However, you'll notice that Darth Maul (played by a real martial artist), never let that sword lock crap happen. There was always a boot in your face or telekinetic shove (save for once or twice when it was cinematically appropriate).

That scene in particular is what really inspired this house rule.

I have also contemplated allowing it when the parry roll succeeds by a margin of 1... but "officially" I'm going with 0 since it's a little more cinematic. I'm actually surprised how often the "sword lock" effect happens in our games. Usually once or twice per session.

Also, it can be a good tool to use for the GM who may wish to give a PC a chance to avoid an otherwise deadly result (fudge the attack roll to make it a sword lock instead; may even want to fudge the brawling roll, too, if the dramatic experience would benefit).
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yes... I am no sword fighter, but I have read similar remarks from actual swordsmen bemoaning the whole sword lock thing (that we see so much of in Star Wars). However, you'll notice that Darth Maul (played by a real martial artist), never let that sword lock crap happen. There was always a boot in your face or telekinetic shove (save for once or twice when it was cinematically appropriate).

Well... applying real swordsmanship in this context doesn't really help. By and large the closest things we have to real bouts (with many grappling techniques not employed for safety reasons) they are really fast and not particularly interested to watch unless you happen to know a bit about the fighters' training. What we see in movies and depicted in RPGs is fun and interesting make-believe. I'm pretty happy to see such things on film because they usually create dramatic pauses for dialog or for something less expected to happen... such as the "I'm not left handed either," or getting a force push to the face. Smile I see no reason why the RPGs shouldn't be the same.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gone with a much simpler explanation and in any melee based combat when the damage roll turned out to be fairly low I just describe one combatant finding an opportunity and punching/kicking/head-butting their opponent rather than being able to bring their weapon into a position to strike effectively.

Still the mechanic seems interesting.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^That makes sense.

I do think smacking the opponent in the face (especially when it turns the tables) is so gratifying, though! Twisted Evil
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, especially how simple and easy to incorporate it is! 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I've always gone with a much simpler explanation and in any melee based combat when the damage roll turned out to be fairly low I just describe one combatant finding an opportunity and punching/kicking/head-butting their opponent rather than being able to bring their weapon into a position to strike effectively.

Still the mechanic seems interesting.

Same here. Also depends on whom is attacking whom.
Say Daqiz the dark Jedi is taunting Horoaa the heroic jedi padawan, in an attempt to turn him to the dark side. Scores a hit, but by very little. Instead of the LS slicing him, it becomes a 'slap to the face (or if a lass, the butt).
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way I do it as well.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this rule!
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That was always my beef with the movies' depiction of LS fighting. Just bounce the blade down to the wrist and game over. I guess... 3 duels end that way? After an awful lot of fighting. Of course, if you have the high ground I'm sure it's ineffective Rolling Eyes
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
garhkal wrote:

That was always my beef with the movies' depiction of LS fighting. Just bounce the blade down to the wrist and game over. I guess... 3 duels end that way?

One could do that, but without a guard you have no leverage or control to keep the other's blade away from your face.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding an option to this rule: The defender may choose to reducce his parry result to match the attack roll (thus initiating sword lock). If he does, he may make his brawling roll but with a -5 penalty.

(The reason for the penalty is that the characte would only do this if he reasonably believed his brawling skill was significantly higher than his opponent's; if it were, then he could easily win a battle simply by punching his opponent without them getting a chance to parry; in effect, the penalty is somewhat like a MAP in that the defender is trying/planning to do two things on his turn).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: