The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using a Dark Jedi for the First Time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Using a Dark Jedi for the First Time Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Personal equipment gets the bearer's PER/Control or any other applicable roll as per a direct attack by the Force upon their person.

You can break a weapon on a table no worries, but when it's in someone's hand they get the chance to reflexively whip it behind their back when they feel the pull of something strong and unseen, or somesuch. Basically, classic RPG rule, attacking something a PC holds is an attack on the PC themselves and has to defy the PC's own defences against such indirect attacks as if they were direct attacks.

Like in AD&D if you cast a spell to break an item that a person is wearing or carrying or using, you have to overcome the character's resistance, not the object's resistance. Only if the object is upon a table or away from a person is the basic item strength used.

I play many games, and rarely do they seem to have a "you must beat the owners defense to affect the item' rule.. The only one i know of is ADND where calling a shot to disarm or such, uses hte target's ac plus a called shot penalty.
Now using warp wood on an item does not give the owner a save, nor does heat metal unless the item is magical, then it gets a save on its own. Same with disintegrate, detonate, soften and other psionic powers.

vanir wrote:
the last time I threw one at them one PC decided to grab him in a bear hug and let off a thermal detonator at their feet. It was a suicide bid, but the PC felt the needs of the many outweighed his own survival. But he was a tough alien and survived the thermal blast (barely, with surgery), the darksider wasn't so physically endowed and didn't...

That to me would have been an auto kill on both targets.. the pc and the DJ.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arise, ancient thread!

[DougRed4 utilizes Sith Necromancy]

Hard to believe this thread is over a decade old! I started it the last time I attacked my group with the Dark Jedi/Inquisitor Jerec, and our upcoming session will be his second appearance in the campaign.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I prepare. My first one is regarding Dark Side Web. Do you think it is possible for characters to attack the lattice/web itself? Should the character who is encompassed in it be able to attack it, like with a sword or similar weapon? Should I come up with some value or strength of the web?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Arise, ancient thread!

[DougRed4 utilizes Sith Necromancy]

Hard to believe this thread is over a decade old! I started it the last time I attacked my group with the Dark Jedi/Inquisitor Jerec, and our upcoming session will be his second appearance in the campaign.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I prepare. My first one is regarding Dark Side Web. Do you think it is possible for characters to attack the lattice/web itself? Should the character who is encompassed in it be able to attack it, like with a sword or similar weapon? Should I come up with some value or strength of the web?

IIRC on the dark side web, its more of a force energy, not something physical they can attack.. SO no, i don't think someone could attack the lattice itself, let alone someone wrapped in it, being able to attack out.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know the scenario he's talking about. King Ommin caught Arca Jeth in this power in The Freedon Nadd Uprising. His intention was to capture the Jedi Master. Lomi Plo used this power, or rather a similar power to kill a Yuuzhan Vong and slice him to pieces in Star By Star. I called it Force net, I believe, and it's a power I have listed in my work The Force Compendium.

Using a lightsaber to attack the energy web, in either case? I don't think that's possible. The only defenses I can think of are absorb/dissipate energy to absorb or deflect the energy, like Yoda did against Dooku's Force lightning in Attack of the Clones, and maybe Force harmony and Force light to negate the dark side energy.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking of possible actions my players might use. And currently nobody in the PC party has a lightsaber, so I was meaning a regular sword.

But yeah, I'm thinking it would be difficult for the person who was entangled in this web to physically attack it. Especially since it will be sapping Strength (no Force abilities for the target) and they would have no leverage to swing a weapon. Or to wield a knife even.

And it would be extremely difficult for someone else to cut them free, as it is energy they are attacking.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I think I know the scenario he's talking about. King Ommin caught Arca Jeth in this power in The Freedon Nadd Uprising. His intention was to capture the Jedi Master. Lomi Plo used this power, or rather a similar power to kill a Yuuzhan Vong and slice him to pieces in Star By Star. I called it Force net, I believe, and it's a power I have listed in my work The Force Compendium.

Using a lightsaber to attack the energy web, in either case? I don't think that's possible. The only defenses I can think of are absorb/dissipate energy to absorb or deflect the energy, like Yoda did against Dooku's Force lightning in Attack of the Clones, and maybe Force harmony and Force light to negate the dark side energy.

I forgot about force light. I can easily see that combatting this darkness..
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Forceally wrote:

I forgot about force light. I can easily see that combatting this darkness..

I just listed possibilities. Whether or not they'd actually work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: