The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. Happen to know what issue of Insider that is?
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue 144, October 2013 issue

I think anyway, looking forward to seeing that article myself...

T.C.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire -

In response to your comment:

Quote:
Here, I think I'm going to go a different direction Red. Not because I disagree with your taste for other systems. I've got every last one of the SAGA books, I'm interested in the Narrative Dice thing, but I think Shooting Womp Rats should be authentic to their feel for the game. If they're open to other systems, yeah, fine... give it a bit of chatter. But If they don't like them, then I don't think they should feel the need to go on about them. I think it would be professional courtesy not to all out bash other systems, but I don't think Don and Daniel necessarily need to embrace these other systems if that's not where they're already coming from.

Now, that said, if there's any way that material from the books can cross over and be useful to D6 gamers, then yeah... we should probably hear about it. When I was running a Jedi oriented campaign, the fluff in the Dark Side Sourcebook was great! I took a few things from Power of the Jedi and Hero's Guide. Though the Saga stuff was more fluff than crunch, even the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide had some good stuff, and I loved some of the adventure seeds in Scum and Viliany. I even did a whole campaign inspired by one adventure seed in S&V.

Of course, if I misunderstood you, and the above paragraph is what you mean by "embrace," then I'll retract my statement about disagreeing with you.

I think we're largely on the same page here, Cheshire. When I said it would be good "embrace" the other systems, I didn't mean to "adopt" them - I just think we can welcome the new material being produced now by FFG, and formerly by WoftC. Primarily I was trying to encourage the Womp Rats folks not to bash followers of the other systems, but instead reach out to them too. I'd also like the majority of the material covered by the Womp Rats (sorry Don and Daniel, if you don't like being referred to as rodents! Smile to be focused on the d6 system. That's the system I prefer, and that's why it's a d6 podcast. At the same time, I wouldn't mind hearing a little bit about the mechanics of the other systems, and especially hearing, through interviews or otherwise, from the creative people currently working on new Star Wars RPG products. I think, if approached respectfully, the FFG people would also welcome that opportunity.

Some d6 people are very negative towards the other systems, and followers of those systems, and I hope the Womp Rat podcasters avoid that "dark path". d6 Star Wars has survived through the years, and I think it's fine to have some other systems around, breathing new life into the materials - producing new adventures, background writeups, etc. I think d6 Star Wars can continue to grow, while purchasing, using and converting some of the new products made by FFG. I just don't think there's any threat to the d6 system from this, and I think the main thing that connects users of all the different systems is a strong appreciation for the Star Wars universe - not strict adherence to any particular game mechanics.

After saying all that, d6 still rules! It's a great, simple, and elegant system, for a more civilized age. Smile

It's also a little like the prequel trilogy. Personally, I couldn't stand those movies. I was really disappointed by them, and hope that the sequel movies adopt more of the feel of the original trilogy. At the same time, I know lots of people really enjoyed the prequels. That's ok - there's room enough in the Star Wars universe for everybody. Jimmy and Jason on the Rebel Force Radio podcast are strong defenders of the prequels, and while I disagree with them on that particular issue (for the most part at least - even the prequels have some good moments), I appreciate and respect their opinions, and still really enjoy listening to their broadcasts. That's the kind of positive approach that I hope the Womp Rats team adopts. As Colin Powell used to say, "perpetual optimism is a force multiplier". Hey - maybe his word choice of "force" there wasn't unintentional! Smile Is Colin Powell a Jedi Knight in disguise?

With respect to the Star Wars Insider article on the early days of WEG and Star Wars roleplaying, it is in fact in the October issue. It's available now digitally via Zinio if you don't want to wait.

What do you think, Cheshire? I think we're largely coming from the same place on this.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a huge post that'll make everyone go tl;dr on this. But I think we're on the same page, but maybe or maybe not in the same paragraph. (So, close enough for me, really) Smile

I don't mind seeing references to these other systems insofar as they have some application to D6. (As evidenced by my prior work on SAGA stuff, I thought they did.) But other SWRPG time for the sake of broader SWRPG stuff is not particularly what I'm looking for. They all have their own niches, and I know where to find them when I want them. This is particularly and especially so when we have no other podcasts on our D6 niche. But, at the same time, there's no sense in shunning good ideas just because they didn't originate with D6.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, everyone!

We've made it past the spam process - by the way, what's the deal with the sensory deprivation, interrogation, and sleep deprivation things? THEN you throw in the hallucinogenics...

But I kid.

Yes, we're reading, and we want your ideas. We'll be actually discussing a few of them next week, along with what we find as we scour Facebook and Google Plus.

You have questions. We will research the answers.

We want your work, too! I'm hoping that by the first week of October, we'll start a regular review of sourcebooks, and I(Daniel) would like to see the fan-made ones spoken of first. The WEG books will be there for a while yet.

Also, campaigns, adventures! Send them our way, and we'll be sure to blog them, review them in El Podcast, and give you the credit you deserve for helping to keep this wonderful system alive.

Someone spoke of "embracing" other systems. We do so - embrace them right into D6. Cheshire nailed it on the head - we're a D6 podcast, and that's what we're going to stay. We commend FFG for releasing such a popular product with our favorite brand. The best part? That's all new material for us to embrace into D6. I'm in the process of a conversion project - anyone want to help?

-Daniel
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with others when making your podcast family friendly. No cursing please.

For Fan made works you have come to the right place. I would have to say that rancorpit has the largest collection of d6 fanmade works than anywhere on the internet. Look no further than fanmade sourcebooks in the tools section. To date there are 35 pages of great fan made material.

You have already mentioned most of the awesome works of Gry Sarth and Cheshire. Galaxy Guide 15 Attack of the Clones is a great resource. Maybe you could interview Cheshire about his many conversions and help get the word out in the community about the long awaited Revenge of the Sith Sourcebook.

I know Hisham is a regular contributer to your community. He has the hilarious NetGuide to Spleens and Worlds of the Enteague Sector.

Guardian has amassed an amazing collection of npcs from every walk of life to help populate the star wars universe.

James Keck made a great compilation of planets.

There are many more great contributions i know that i am missing, but those are the one off the top of my head.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
I concur with others when making your podcast family friendly. No cursing please.

I've worked in radio, and TV, and I'm familiar with FCC regs. The reason I say all this is because I treat this as I would a terrestrial radio show - no cursing. Don agrees with this, and I'm blessed to have a co-host that just meshes with me.

Quote:

For Fan made works you have come to the right place. I would have to say that rancorpit has the largest collection of d6 fanmade works than anywhere on the internet. Look no further than fanmade sourcebooks in the tools section. To date there are 35 pages of great fan made material.

Between the two of us, we have all the books, and the gaps in our collections were filled by Cheshire, much to our gratitude. However, if you're an author out there that wants his/her work put on a pedestal, we'll be glad to help out. Be sure to contact us, we'll read your work, and make the decision on talking about it. Be warned - we are brutally honest. Our criticism is constructive, and if we don't like it, you will know it.

Quote:
You have already mentioned most of the awesome works of Gry Sarth and Cheshire. Galaxy Guide 15 Attack of the Clones is a great resource. Maybe you could interview Cheshire about his many conversions and help get the word out in the community about the long awaited Revenge of the Sith Sourcebook.

We are in the process of having Cheshire come on the show, answer a few questions, and all that jazz. I just don't think he knows it yet. Very Happy

Quote:

I know Hisham is a regular contributer to your community. He has the hilarious NetGuide to Spleens and Worlds of the Enteague Sector.

The only hitch in interviewing Khairul is the fact that he lives in Malaysia, and we have to work out the time difference. I may end up recording the interview with him separately if it does happen, then just splice it into the podcast.

Quote:
Guardian has amassed an amazing collection of npcs from every walk of life to help populate the star wars universe.

I actually have that list. I've thought it to be a great source of inspiration when I hit writer's block.

Quote:

Ooo. I'll have to make contact with this guy. I haven't read his work either. That will have to be corrected post-haste.

Quote:
There are many more great contributions i know that i am missing, but those are the one off the top of my head.

On behalf of Don and myself, thanks! If any one else has ideas, we'll be glad to read them!
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Luwingo_Spince wrote:

Ooo. I'll have to make contact with this guy. I haven't read his work either. That will have to be corrected post-haste.

Yeah, Keck's name was thrown around a few times lately. I don't think he's doing much in terms of Star Wars, but he's moved on to more professional publishing projects. IIRC he edited Grimace's book on an Open D6 magic system (independent of the WEG publications).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving everything I'm hearing from you guys, Daniel! Thanks for dropping by and for keeping the love of D6 alive! 8)
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've Added to Chesires original D6 Saga to D6 Starships of the Galaxy Equipment Conversion Word Doc, the Age/Mass/Cosst Mods are mine, as are the new ion drives and Pulse Wave, Mass Driver, Particle Beamer, and Concussion Sphere Launchers, and Revised Modification rules for Ships/Vehicles/Weapons...

The Sensors were not mine put were posted on the 'Pit and I thought them appropriate.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwk_Yh7ovdVlWFp4T2p4VUZXZkk/edit?usp=sharing
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the spam problem resolved and are on the forums, Daniel. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your podcast.

I'm the one who mentioned "embracing" the other systems. Yes, I also am excited about the potential for conversion of the new FFG products into d6. The main thing I was trying to convey is that there's some talented, creative people over at FFG working with the Lucasfilm folks, and I think it would be worthwhile at least considering building some relationships with them. As long as people are buying their products and respecting their copyrights, I think they'd be welcome to visiting about upcoming products, storylines, campaigns, etc. With the new sequel trilogy rapidly approaching, FFG will likely be the RPG group publishing new materials for Eps. VII - IX, and I think it would be awesome if we d6ers were able to have a voice in terms of what types of products we'd like to see over the coming years - even if we plan to use them in d6 settings. That's what I was struggling to convey - if you and the Womp Rats team would be able to build that relationship, it could help us d6ers feel more connected, and involved, with the new products coming in the future.

Here's some other random thoughts:

Optional Rules - as you know, there are a ton of optional rules spread out through the various publications (Quick Draw in the Corporate Sector book, martial arts in the Rules of Engagement, impacts from fatigue in some of the adventure publications, and many other examples in the Adventure Journals and other sources). I think it would be awesome if you could talk about some of these official optional rules - some of which are not well known. It could even become a regular segment.

Allen Nunis - in one of your podcasts, you mentioned the art of another illustrator, whose name escapes me. I also liked their work, but not as much as that of Allen Nunis, who contributed to a large number of illustrations throughout the SW WEG publications. Next to the late Al Williamson, Allen's work was probably my favorite in the WEG materials. It looks like Allen is on Facebook, and I think it would be great if you could interview him at some point. (Speaking of artwork - some of the FFG art is amazing quality! Too bad WEG didn't have those types of resources back then!).

Unfinished product lines - There is the infamous Rogue Squadron Sourcebook, and its corrupted CD:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_X-wing:_Rogue_Squadron_Sourcebook
And Adventure Journals 16-18, portions of which you can find floating around the interwebs. I also saw a mention of a Corporate Sector boxed set? When you interview the former WEG folks, I hope you bring up some of these never-to-be-published items.

Ships from the Ewok Movies - I know... it's kind of disturbing. But I will not rest until they have at least some unofficial stats. Some day, it will happen. Smile
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1778&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
PS - I think Noa's ship should be called the Gallivanter.

And on that strange note, good luck, and thanks for listening!
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:

I'm the one who mentioned "embracing" the other systems. Yes, I also am excited about the potential for conversion of the new FFG products into d6. The main thing I was trying to convey is that there's some talented, creative people over at FFG working with the Lucasfilm folks, and I think it would be worthwhile at least considering building some relationships with them. As long as people are buying their products and respecting their copyrights, I think they'd be welcome to visiting about upcoming products, storylines, campaigns, etc. With the new sequel trilogy rapidly approaching, FFG will likely be the RPG group publishing new materials for Eps. VII - IX, and I think it would be awesome if we d6ers were able to have a voice in terms of what types of products we'd like to see over the coming years - even if we plan to use them in d6 settings. That's what I was struggling to convey - if you and the Womp Rats team would be able to build that relationship, it could help us d6ers feel more connected, and involved, with the new products coming in the future.

That makes sense. I remember listening to Zoe Robinson when she was talking about her role in the boxed set and the core rulebook, and she'd mentioned her D6 days. I kinda wished we'd spent more time hearing about how the one influenced the other.

Sorry it's been such a struggle.

Quote:

Here's some other random thoughts:

Optional Rules - as you know, there are a ton of optional rules spread out through the various publications (Quick Draw in the Corporate Sector book, martial arts in the Rules of Engagement, impacts from fatigue in some of the adventure publications, and many other examples in the Adventure Journals and other sources). I think it would be awesome if you could talk about some of these official optional rules - some of which are not well known. It could even become a regular segment.

Interesting.

Quote:

Unfinished product lines - There is the infamous Rogue Squadron Sourcebook, and its corrupted CD:
And Adventure Journals 16-18, portions of which you can find floating around the interwebs. I also saw a mention of a Corporate Sector boxed set? When you interview the former WEG folks, I hope you bring up some of these never-to-be-published items.

Oooooo.... now there's an interesting idea. I wonder what bits of goodness were left on the cutting room floor. I know that they were talking about a starfighter equivalent of GG6, but they never made it around to finishing it. There was some talk about a Galaxy Guide for Jedi, but they decided to wait until the prequels were under way before they went too far in that. (That is, they didn't want to write a whole book only to have it become obsolete when the new movies came out.) The nearly-finished Roque Squadron book is a long mourned gem. Yeah... it would be interesting to find out what they had in the pipeline that never saw the light of day.

Quote:

Ships from the Ewok Movies - I know... it's kind of disturbing. But I will not rest until they have at least some unofficial stats. Some day, it will happen.

Wow... we haven't done that yet? That's a shame. How many ships are there in those movies? Only two, right? Maybe three? I should take some time to flesh those out when I'm not swamped.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode Three's up. Hope you enjoy!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:

Listen to Episode Three - we handle a success-based die system, that I wrote up and posted on the Google Plus community to answer a question.

Quote:
Allen Nunis - in one of your podcasts, you mentioned the art of another illustrator, whose name escapes me. I also liked their work, but not as much as that of Allen Nunis, who contributed to a large number of illustrations throughout the SW WEG publications. Next to the late Al Williamson, Allen's work was probably my favorite in the WEG materials. It looks like Allen is on Facebook, and I think it would be great if you could interview him at some point. (Speaking of artwork - some of the FFG art is amazing quality! Too bad WEG didn't have those types of resources back then!).

I heartily agree. FFG knows how to create a quality product, and I commend them for that. I will try to reach out to Allen Nunis for an interview. Can you think of anything you'd like to ask him? You would be credited for the questions, of course.

Quote:

I keep contact with Peter Schweighofer, and he's been through a lot of interviews. I've asked him to be on the show, and he's considering it.

If there are other WEG expatriates out there, please, send us a line. We'll be glad to talk with you and have you on the show.

Lost information from those days could prove to be the sourcebooks of our future.

Quote:

Ships from the Ewok Movies - I know... it's kind of disturbing. But I will not rest until they have at least some unofficial stats. Some day, it will happen. Smile
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1778&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
PS - I think Noa's ship should be called the Gallivanter.

And on that strange note, good luck, and thanks for listening!

There is a real lack of information on those ships, but I'm writing up what I can from a total of what, four screenshots? Will be a little time.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Luwingo_Spince wrote:

The only hitch in interviewing Khairul is the fact that he lives in Malaysia, and we have to work out the time difference. I may end up recording the interview with him separately if it does happen, then just splice it into the podcast.

Or maybe a Google Hangout and rip the mp3 off that, yo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 2 of 37

Jump to: