The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a G+ Community called Star Wars d6.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109192465386999311385
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need nicknames maybe like "6D Con" Don Diestler and Daniel "6D Hull" Stull.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Its a G+ Community called Star Wars d6.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109192465386999311385

Awesome, I just joined! Thanks! 8)
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent last night going through the G+ group, and some interesting stuff there!

Clicked to join the community and the Facebook group, not showing as accepted to FB yet, but am part of the G+ group now... Very Happy

T.C.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Womp Rat folks - I enjoyed listening to your last show. I was also surprised to hear my screen name mentioned - thanks for the shout out, even though you pretty much shot down all my suggestions. Smile

No hard feelings, but there were a few things concerning my suggestions that I think you misinterpreted, probably due to the fact that I wrote about 250 pages on each of those topics and took forever to come to the main point. Here's a last attempt at trying to succinctly (at least as succinctly as I can!) clarify those points:

Embracing other systems - I was NOT suggesting incorporating the other systems (I also am partial to the d6 system). This was a suggestion to reach out to the rest of the Star Wars RPG community, including the current designers at FFG. FFG will have the license probably through the new trilogy, and I thought it would be great if you wanted to develop a working relationship with their staff, like some of the other podcasts have done, so that we d6'ers could have a voice in terms of new RPG material being developed. While new FFG publications don't follow d6 rules, they have some great adventure suggestions, artwork, and new stats that can be converted to d6, and I think it would be great to have a voice in terms of the new products that will come out. Perhaps that doesn't interest you, though.

Listening to other podcasts - this was just a suggestion that you at least take a listen to a few other Star Wars podcasts, including Rebel Force Radio, and possibly the Order 66 Podcast, if you haven't already, to get some ideas for how you might structure your future podcasts. One thing that sticks out in your first few podcasts, I think, is that you could benefit from having "segments" to set off different portions of your show, instead of one continuous dialogue. For example, you suggested in one of your first shows that you could use a typewriter sound to set off your "News" section, and I think breaking things up like that could really help with the flow of your podcast. The Order 66 podcast also has other segments like "Skill Monkey", and "Fragments from the Rim", which are regular segments that are introduced by a little musical and/or narrative segue-way. I know you mentioned that you'd like to go your own route, and I think it's great that you want to strike out on your own path, but I think having some regular segments, and marking them with specific music or narrative during the broadcast could help a lot with the flow of things.

I'll stop there. Thanks again for your efforts, and I'm looking forward to your next episode!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:

I think, is that you could benefit from having "segments" to set off different portions of your show, instead of one continuous dialogue. For example, you suggested in one of your first shows that you could use a typewriter sound to set off your "News" section, and I think breaking things up like that could really help with the flow of your podcast.

Yeah, that could help quite a lot. There are some parts of the show that start to conform to this sort of pattern where we often first hear about the continuing updates on the Droids book. Have another set section for the weekly seeds (such as the planet of the week, the character highlight of the week, and the adventure seeds).

Having recognizable segments would be really interesting.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, we're not upset in the least. True, we probably did have a misunderstanding, but we'll be glad to keep an eye out for EotE information - especially when it comes to new information to convert!

Don and I discussed your suggestions prior to recording, and he's the one with more time on his hands than I. I wouldn't mind listening to other podcasts for suggestions on format, et cetera, but I want to be certain that we keep to ourselves. Shooting Womp Rats should be its own, and not "like" anything else. Sure, we'll run into similarities. Who wouldn't with so many podcasts out there? We just want to be sure that we stick out, and not get caught under those established ones.

I've put in some temporary names for our segments for recording this week's episode - HoloNet News for the news, and The Tattooine Homestead for our community discussions as well as the interview with Mike Fraley.

We're hoping to have Brett Pisinski of Wicked North Games on the show, as well as the ubiquitous Khairul Hisham(once I figure out Malaysia).

Please keep coming with your suggestions and comments. We need these ideas in order to grow.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Red, we're not upset in the least. True, we probably did have a misunderstanding, but we'll be glad to keep an eye out for EotE information - especially when it comes to new information to convert!

Don and I discussed your suggestions prior to recording, and he's the one with more time on his hands than I. I wouldn't mind listening to other podcasts for suggestions on format, et cetera, but I want to be certain that we keep to ourselves. Shooting Womp Rats should be its own, and not "like" anything else. Sure, we'll run into similarities. Who wouldn't with so many podcasts out there? We just want to be sure that we stick out, and not get caught under those established ones.

I've put in some temporary names for our segments for recording this week's episode - HoloNet News for the news, and The Tattooine Homestead for our community discussions as well as the interview with Mike Fraley.

We're hoping to have Brett Pisinski of Wicked North Games on the show, as well as the ubiquitous Khairul Hisham(once I figure out Malaysia).

Please keep coming with your suggestions and comments. We need these ideas in order to grow.

Sounds like you have some good programming plans, and some interesting future guests. I'll keep tuning in. Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chat with Brett should be interesting. He's been pretty easy to work with in the things I've done for the D6 Magazine. The next issue should be out in about a month, give or take a week.

Oh, and someone we know just might have submitted an adventure that might be a "that's totally not set in Star Wars as far as the lawyers are concerned" adventure. Smile
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Womprat fellas -

I've been joyously listening to your podcast while I'm at work, and I just got to episode three (I work in videogames, so there's not a lot of downtime).

I wanted to talk a little about the DCU/D6 Legend/D6 Prime system you talked briefly about - using successes or failures instead of additive dice.

I've been GMing D6 since 1997, with a longstanding group of players. We recently started a new campaign with the same characters, but this time using the success/failure system.

And as a longstanding D6er? I have to say I love it. It makes rolling SOOOO much faster, and it allows you to concentrate on the game instead of the dice. I know it sounds shady, but it's statistically identical to regular D6. Again, I say that as the GM, where before I was willing to adopt a potentially disruptive system, I did a bunch of test rolls comparing D6 and D6 Legend (the success system), and it's like a 98% match result-for-result, just faster.

Just a heads up for those wondering about it. It's a nice simple modification, and it makes the games go that much more smoothly, without disruption. Thought you'd be interested! I'd be happy to answer any questions about it too.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is awesome news! We'll be making note of that for next week's episode!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Heya Womprat fellas -

I've been joyously listening to your podcast while I'm at work, and I just got to episode three (I work in videogames, so there's not a lot of downtime).

I wanted to talk a little about the DCU/D6 Legend/D6 Prime system you talked briefly about - using successes or failures instead of additive dice.

I've been GMing D6 since 1997, with a longstanding group of players. We recently started a new campaign with the same characters, but this time using the success/failure system.

And as a longstanding D6er? I have to say I love it. It makes rolling SOOOO much faster, and it allows you to concentrate on the game instead of the dice. I know it sounds shady, but it's statistically identical to regular D6. Again, I say that as the GM, where before I was willing to adopt a potentially disruptive system, I did a bunch of test rolls comparing D6 and D6 Legend (the success system), and it's like a 98% match result-for-result, just faster.

Just a heads up for those wondering about it. It's a nice simple modification, and it makes the games go that much more smoothly, without disruption. Thought you'd be interested! I'd be happy to answer any questions about it too.

I'm intrigued and would love to hear more about this. Care to open a new thread on the topic (perhaps in House Rules) and tell us more about it?
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 5 is up!

Here's the direct link:
http://static.squarespace.com/static/51256d13e4b01b12552cf6d0/t/52439715e4b04817bad6dbea/1380161301630/swd6ep5.mp3/original/swd6ep5.mp3

Now, one of the questions they asked me is how many conversions I've done, and in retrospect I think they may have been asking about how many books I've done, rather than individual stat blocks. The numbers, obviously, would be quite different if that were the intent. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding there.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire I understood what you meant. I did not ask for clarification during the interview since it really wasn't important. Hell. I have no idea how many stat blocks I have done in the last few months since I got back into SWd6. It's a bunch I know that =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jason Scanlon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my new favorite show. Make it longer.

As for the landing turret on the Falcon, it is statted and described in the Star Wars Sourcebook if anybody cares. It's not included in the 1st Edition rulebook stat block, though. And neither mentions escape pods somehow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 4 of 37

Jump to: