The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's in a medpack?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's in a medpack?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: What's in a medpack? Reply with quote

...an ammonia inhalant by any other name would smell as sweet.

Scenario:
The players are incarcerated in a single cell and one is wounded. The medic asks the guard if he can have a med-pack to patch her up, and the request is granted. What tools do the players now have?

I couldn't find anything in the source material that gives a clue to the answer. The ruling on the spot was "nothing useful," but should the situation come up again I'd like your opinions. After all, first aid kits in our current technology often contain things like tape, scissors, needles, and chemicals that someone with a high knowledge or tech might be able to have fun with.

If this is in a sourcebook somewhere, point me to it. Otherwise, what are your thoughts?
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a small spray applicator of liquid flesh to patch a bleeder, anticeptic, pain reducer spray, a suture device to staple someone up, an adrenal cocktail to give someone a kick, maybe even a fire and forget stimulant to make the patient able to get up and walk himself out in a pinch.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Synthflesh patch (10x10cm)
2 blood expander auto injector
3 pain killer auto injector or inhaler (1 dose)
4 stimulant auto injector or inhaler (1 dose)
5 Field compress bandage (10x10cm)
6 Limb splint (collapsible air cast type)
7 poison detox auto injector (1 dose)

sounds like a good GP type kit to me
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also add 8, tape 40x10, single side adhesive. But depending ON who captured the pcs and why, being only wounded is not that big of a deal (2-3 days for natural healing), so maybe they might not hand over a med pack.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
1 Synthflesh patch (10x10cm)
2 blood expander auto injector
3 pain killer auto injector or inhaler (1 dose)
4 stimulant auto injector or inhaler (1 dose)
5 Field compress bandage (10x10cm)
6 Limb splint (collapsible air cast type)
7 poison detox auto injector (1 dose)

sounds like a good GP type kit to me

Good on that, but working with the rangers, we all carried oral antibacterial & anti inflammatory, so I'd add a future version of them too.

Forgive all spelling errors.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought of them as simply a mini-bacta tank. Slap on the quasi-magi-tech juices and away you go. Not so helpful for the jailbreak scenario I guess.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see some wanting to know what is in one, as to whether they might be able to use it to bandage someone at MW, while still getting to use some aspect of it to revive someone ko'ed, and the last pc wanting to use the scalpel as a melee weapon..
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
I always thought of them as simply a mini-bacta tank. Slap on the quasi-magi-tech juices and away you go. Not so helpful for the jailbreak scenario I guess.

They created a separate item for that. They are called Bacta Geltabs, and they add +1D to your roll when you use a medpac.

I would treat a medpac like a regular backpack first aid kit.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures that ostensibly represent the "standard medpack" look exactly like a slightly scaled down first aid kit for a car, instead of going in the parcel shelf they clip onto a belt. The picture I'm looking at has scissors, an inhaler with greenish liquid, about three compression-injectors with coloured liquids, bandages, burn gel, a small disposable datapad...

Clearly they're not field surgery kits, no scalpels and the like and the scissors aren't any more useful than a shiv, you might not even give a damage bonus exceeding normal STR, just swap the Brawl skill for Melee to fight using them and allow Melee Parries of Brawl attacks (successful parry does damage).

You might be able to do something with the disposable datapad, it looks like perhaps a small standardized treatment database in something no more expensive looking than a basic calculator you buy in a supermarket for a couple of dollars.
A TEC wiz might be able to do something with that and an electronic lock...

If I was GM'ing and I wanted the PCs to break out, I'd let them combine Computer Programming/Repair and Security skills as a skills coordination (average of the sum) and use that dice for the lock picking roll...and of course I'd ensure the cell lock was an electronic one.
If I didn't want them out, can just use an old fashioned mechanical lock operated from a remote station like in old prisons. Good luck picking that without a professional safebreaking kit handy.
Captain Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medical kits can contain a lot of stuff, but it depends if we are talking about a cheap civilian medpack, or a basic military medpack, as these will focus on solving different expected problems.

as the PCs are in a cell, it may be safer to assume a higher grade medpack- as such, there should be painkillers, disinfectant, bandages, perhaps a way to close nasty wounds such as needle and thread/sutures, probably something that can make a tourniquet, and a drug to deal with serious allergic reactions. anything you need in a critical emergency to keep someone alive long enough to get to an actual medic.

now, if we have an alien-friendly medpack, then we could also have some stranger chemicals with clear warning labels, but only for the most common species.
Jason Scanlon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrigation bulb and synthflesh patch. What else do you need? Smile
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a medpack? Probably just what was listed above, with a slant toward trauma/burn care for military medpacks.

In a medkit, you find more interesting things laser or vibroscalpels, and vasodilaters made of high explosives (the real heart medicine Lentonitrat is nearly pure PETN, which is a very powerful explosive and relatively easy to detonate in its pure form.)

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: