The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Combat Clarifications?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber Combat Clarifications?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber Combat Clarifications? Reply with quote

Well, here i come.

1st, we did not use lightsaber combat in our group (it was my initiative, and everybody liked it).

Our mechanics were:
You DO have the power, and roll for it. The power is "up" until the fight ends, but you dont have to "keep it" (i.e. it doesn't take dice from your rolls).

Effects were: Adds or Substracts control from your damage rolls (optionally, dont use control and stick with saber + STR). No matter what, we had a "max damage" for our lightsabers of 9D.
Allows you do deflect blaster bolts with your "lightsaber" skill. You can reflect them back with your control skill, used as a reaction skill (i.e. you dont have to declare you are going to reflect the bolt).

Combat sense, enhance attribute and concentration were also "off". Basically, we took all the "+die to skills" force uses. We watered down jedi so the other players would not feel bad / could have fun.
(keep in mind that we had only 2 jedi, one of them retired early, and then i was the only jedi in a party of 4 to 8 players.

Anway, back on topic: I'm planning a brand-new campaign, and i will use the official rules. Probably there will be no jedi PC, but the comic relief sith lord, "Darth Mulius", is still alive.

I need some input on the lightsaber combat rules. We are using 2nd R&E, and as far as i see, the rules are as follows:

1- Keep the power up untill you want / get stunned or hurt
2- You can roll for LSC as many times as you want, as long as you don't fail the roll.
3- As you are keeping a CONTROL + SENSE power, *ALL* actions are at -2D
4- You can add or remove CONTROL dice from damage
5- You add SENSE to your attack and parry rolls
6- You can deflect basters with your lightsaber skill
7- You can reflect back blasters with control

Questions are:

Do the -2D for keeping the power up count against your 4 actions per round? if so, you could only act twice!!! I don't think so.

It clearly says that you use your LIGHTSABER skill to parry blaster bolts. Than means you DO NOT add sense to do so. Having your lightsaber -2D as a defense makes me think you would raise sense and dodge (wich works against every attack) instead of sense and lightsaber. If it does add, i think you would still get more bang for your buck raising sense and doge and keeping lightsaber to a moderate level.

If you want to reflect baster bolts back to an opponent, does that count as a reaction skill?

Examples:

Jedi Knight Lycander Kynemil has 9D lightsaber and 6D on all force skills.

If i use LSC, i would roll 9D+6D = 15D - 2D = 13D lightsaber attack and parry. I would deflect blaster bolts with 7D, and if reflecting is not a reaction skill i would have a hard time doing anything (6D to parry and 2D to reflect???)

If i am right with these asumptions, LSC sucks. It gives HUGE bonuses to melee combat (as if you needed them, NO ONE has brawling parry as a primary defense, and they cant parry with most weapons anyway, so you would tore them up with your lightsaber skill alone) and it gives penalties to deflecting. I know combat sense cancels some of these penalties, but its a 2 bladed sword.

What are your toughts about it?

Cheers,
Alex
Take my sun away, away...
john brewer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Clarifications? Reply with quote

Icebrand wrote:
Do the -2D for keeping the power up count against your 4 actions per round? if so, you could only act twice!!! I don't think so.

It clearly says that you use your LIGHTSABER skill to parry blaster bolts. Than means you DO NOT add sense to do so. Having your lightsaber -2D as a defense makes me think you would raise sense and dodge (wich works against every attack) instead of sense and lightsaber. If it does add, i think you would still get more bang for your buck raising sense and doge and keeping lightsaber to a moderate level.

If you want to reflect baster bolts back to an opponent, does that count as a reaction skill?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of this too.

First of all, where does it say you only get 4 actions per round? Second Edition R&E says that you can "...try to do several things in a round..." and gives the die modifiers up to 4 actions, but ends with "...and so forth" (from p. 78, R&E). Seems that as long as you have enough dice you can keep going, but let me know if I'm wrong.

As far as parrying blaster bolts goes, on p. 148 the example indicates that the Jedi Ana's lightsaber skill (which started at 4D) is 5D+2 because of the 4 actions she is taking. Since it takes the time to tell what her current modified lightsaber skill is, it only seems logical that her Parry is done with her modified lightsaber skill. Sending it back at her target is done with her Control dice. Unfortunately, since she is at -3D because of her 4 actions, she only has 2D Control available; seemingly she must have rolled a 6 on her wild die in order to get that 14 to hit the goon. Smile

Does that help?
John
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: so then to parry bolts? Reply with quote

So then to parry blaster bolts..is it the modified lightsaber skill? From the example of ANA in 148 example?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the modified lightsaber skill. Because the power adds your sense to your basic lightsaber skill.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: