The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Our Own Overpowered Custom Alien Races
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Our Own Overpowered Custom Alien Races Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Our Own Overpowered Custom Alien Races Reply with quote

Not sure exactly which sub-forum this should be in...

So, again because of nothing but idle curiosity.

To those who, for whatever reason dissatisfied with the official choices, have created their own custom races.

What is the most un-ashamedly over-powered race you ever made? The one most unfair to standard PCs, and that you are most fond of?

And, given the right circumstances, would you let your players play as one of them? Or are they solely there to curb-stomp the party? Razz

I have two, possibly three(!) such creations, but I'll spare you my bragging (for now at least Razz ) 'cos I'm curious what others have come up with.
- Tom Lehrer
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GM once let me play as a race that had all the racial bonuses of a Sluissi, including the 13D, but with Mechanical skills instead of technical.

5D Mech, 2D Knowledge, 3D in all other attributes. I was a good all-arounder and a demon in the cockpit.

On top of that he had a advantages/disadvantages set that let me purchase 1/2 cost for skill advancement in the attribute of my choice.

There is a reason that the game allows all sorts of tech bonuses but not bonuses to other attributes.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem all that outrageous, except for this bit:

Kytross wrote:
On top of that he had a advantages/disadvantages set that let me purchase 1/2 cost for skill advancement in the attribute of my choice.

All the skills under the attribute at half price, all the time? Can't see myself going for that.

Still, on the whole seems rather tame compared to my creations (which are mostly combat monsters, really).

So, what was the background of the race? How did they look?

Kytross wrote:
There is a reason that the game allows all sorts of tech bonuses but not bonuses to other attributes.

What might those reasons be? Because, coming from having one of the PCs at 4D Mech and 8D Space Transports Piloting, I'd be far more wary of a character with high Tech than one with high Mech or even Dex.
- Tom Lehrer
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having too high a Strength can make characters next to impossible to hurt (being as they don't suffer MAPs or other penalties like being wounded when making Strength tests to resist damage).

And too high of a DEX means they can be true combat monsters, being next to impossible to hit as well as being experts with most weapons.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Having too high a Strength can make characters next to impossible to hurt (being as they don't suffer MAPs or other penalties like being wounded when making Strength tests to resist damage).

What is too high? Because, in my experience? A 6D-7D character (one PC has 3D Str and Mando armor) seems not all that tough once you put enough shots his way.

DougRed4 wrote:
And too high of a DEX means they can be true combat monsters, being next to impossible to hit as well as being experts with most weapons.

Again, what would you consider too high? Because the opposed nature of combat rolls seems to take care of that, once they encounter sufficiently numerous and well coordinated opposition. Or a single well-trained Force sensitive.

It might be good to note, though, that I generally prefer high-power games, and my PCs are quite advanced (about 500 cps over a starting character), so it's not that unusual to have die codes of 7D+ slung around once things heat up.
- Tom Lehrer
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose "too high" really depends on the power level of your campaign. But those two can end up making it very difficult to pose a challenge for PCs, if STR is so high that they can effectively yawn at a squad of bad guys, knowing that they have Superman levels of invincibility, or if they can dodge so well that - even with a MAP causing -3D - there's little chance of them being hit.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Our Own Overpowered Custom Alien Races Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
What is the most un-ashamedly over-powered race you ever made?
The Des-Het. A race of selectively bred warrior cyborgs with a species-wide SPATAN II program.
Leon The Lion wrote:
The one most unfair to standard PCs
Des-Het again
Leon The Lion wrote:
and that you are most fond of?
The Kran, a race of winged, giant humanoids. Somewhat more primitive than the Galaxy at large, they were still quite capable. They had a mostly nomadic desert culture, a small realm consisting of a handful of inhabited systems, and my brother played the test pilot of their first long-range hyperdrive test vehicle. (We as players built the race, running it by our GM for approval.) He got stranded way out in the known regions of space for a few decades, where we met him.
Leon The Lion wrote:

And, given the right circumstances, would you let your players play as one of them? Or are they solely there to curb-stomp the party? Razz
Every tool I use is open to my players, if they will work hard enough or sacrifice enough for it.

Complete Starship Construction System
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meaning to cross topics, but Ive recently brought up using a Timelord from the Doctor Who universe ( Whoniverse?) and another more , shall we say, opinionated forum member suggesred creating a race with similar, but EXCLUSIVLEY SWRPGU traits.

I would prefer to just use a Timelord, but its actually a not to bad idea.

Although the Time Travel thing is hard to translate, what do guys think?

I posted DW rpg links in the other thread, titled Crossover do's and donts in tge ships and technology forum.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm.... we give 1D per skill for free at character creation for Force skills.... Thats as powerful as we get.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn...I love it man...

Only thing I would change is the Sonic Shovel name...In tribute to the Inspector Spacetime series, the name Id go for is Optic Pocketknife , which became the Sonic Screwdriver. But otherwise...perfect.

The event that wiped could be described as a Time Wave.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn, Your idea has me inspired in a multitude of ways.

I figure if the Traspade utilises the same Transchronal energies as the chronmasters, It should be grown. its organic, its linked to the Force, as well as being part mechanical.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can transfer the total interior mass through the smaller exterior, without rupturing the outer shell, you could RAM a star destroyer pretty badly...mass in motion equals momentum, without dimensional displacement...

Its a thought lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: