The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's talk Star Destroyers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Let's talk Star Destroyers! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said ^.

It's really an ongoing project, as anything this massive would need to be. Our path to victory so far has been to chip away at it logistically, piece by piece.

We've alreay accomplished a ton - this thread is the single largest repository of Star Destroyer information and research on the web!

Now where were we?
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Now where were we?

I have no idea. My brain has been away from the project.

But... *reading back pages*...

Weapons
I think we stalled out on the number of weapons on the ISDII. There are good arguments for a number of different interpretations. I think the best option is to just choose one and go forward.

I submit that we opt for the interpretation that I put forwards on pg. 30 because it's the most complete of all the interpretations.

Crew Complement
Then I had been working on the crew roster. That spreadsheet is still there and incomplete. It is relevant for understanding how many people might need to be stationed in different parts of the ship, in order to allocate their quarters accordingly. I submit that they would generally be quartered not far from their stations. Also, I maintain that they have three shifts per rotation, meaning that nearly all positions have 3 people capable of filling that position. I make an exception for the starfighter crews because of the greater need for alertness.

AT-ATs and Thetas
I still think that Theta-class landers are the Imperial standard for delivering walkers to the surface of a planet. I maintain that the computer games simply drew them larger than they have to be in order to fit inside the tight hangars of the ISDs.

The alternative landers that crmcneill mentions are certainly a possibility as Theta's get phased in or out.

Deckplanning
Mojomoe, you were working on a diagram for the main command deck of the Command Tower, correct?

I'm still interested in learning how to do vector graphics, but every time I've tried to teach myself I stall out on not how to go about starting to create stuff. I just don't know how to manipulate the interface. If I want to get serious about it, I should just watch some online tutorial videos. I have Adobe Illustrator CS(11.0.0). Do you think that is serviceable? Of course, maybe it's just best for me to outsource that to you.

Then again, it might be useful in order to make what are essentially sketches, which you can then fill in or reform, or whatever. Obviously, I've already done a lot for the hangar decks in pixels which needs to be converted to vectors.

Was there anything else?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ^, I was on the Command deck and Quarters section.

Although, we may find some use in a different approach which I recently used successfully for decking out the Harrower-class Dreadnought from The Old Republic, used in my campaign. As I certainly wasn't going to map out 36 decks x 800m for a one-off adventure, I simply gridded the ship into function clusters and then drew maps as-needed. For example, I set aside a clump for "quarters" without actually detailing the rooms, and by the end I had a reasonably detailed map of where everything IS on the ship, just waiting for me to come back and add actual bulkheads.

Let me show you what I mean:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo61325oxjb994l/harrower_05.jpg?dl=0

Perhaps with the knowledge we now have we're ready for this step with the ISD? It might give us a better framework to drill down and do the actual rooms.

Also, Illustrattor is indeed a great tool, and CS will likely have everything you need. It's definitley a rabbit hole, though, and I'm happy to handle the art chores if you want to focus on design and logistics
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's seriously impressive. Please understand that I'm not casting stones and by no means intend to impugn your work. That said, you might want to move the vital combustables like Ship Fuel to the interior of the vessel. Maybe swap them with Ship or Vehicle Storage.

Otherwise...wow. Smile
Rezikai
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Wow, long time!

Good question. Having studied the ISD stuff in Rebels - INTENTLY, I might add - I haven't seen anything that would immediately contradict the cutout or speak to it not fitting in 1600m. Besides, every bit of calculations - from the deck heights to the cargo bays to the size of the CR-90 corvettes - is designed around 1600m. There's a lot of canon evidence to support it.

What specifically are you thinking doesn't fit from Rebels?

EDIT - I just saw the above mention of someone pointing to the engine room on a diagram - anyone have a screen grab of that? I don't recall it.
However, even if that's contradictory, one thing I've learned from Star Trek fandom is not to take the on-screen diagrams as gospel, as that way lies madness.

Well my take was the engineering section which i always assumed was not hollow as it looks like in Fire Across the Galaxy. Again I am remembering it from the cut away book from a few years ago. now without further ado...

aerial shot looking down in a very Phantom Menace-ish scene

On the platform showing us part of the upper towers.

Again this is Rebels so like the giraffe necked ISD's i take it with a grain of salt. But if later iterations of the ISD were totally designed by the 1600m design then I'm cool with it. Just thought it may be cramped considering all the men/supplies/fightes/ships etc that's crammed into it.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Wow. That's seriously impressive. Please understand that I'm not casting stones and by no means intend to impugn your work. That said, you might want to move the vital combustables like Ship Fuel to the interior of the vessel. Maybe swap them with Ship or Vehicle Storage.

Otherwise...wow. Smile

See, with logistical support like THIS there might still be a Sith Empire!
In other words, good point Smile.

And thanks for the kind words! Although, this is nuthin... I had to do the rest of the ship for my campaign too:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3zhmw5d2p0wrkqm/AABjwxbmhL4X6nJL5GJt5NP8a?dl=0

The full set of 8(?) deck sets can be found there for reference.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
I simply gridded the ship into function clusters and then drew maps as-needed. For example, I set aside a clump for "quarters" without actually detailing the rooms, and by the end I had a reasonably detailed map of where everything IS on the ship, just waiting for me to come back and add actual bulkheads.

Perhaps with the knowledge we now have we're ready for this step with the ISD? It might give us a better framework to drill down and do the actual rooms.

I think that's reasonable. That means that I need to have an idea of how many people need to go about where, though.

Regarding the Rebels image with the huge chasm, I think it's very worthwhile to remember that big SW ships have these inexplicable features. My instinct had been to try to cram as much stuff into every nook and cranny as possible. But that's clearly just not the Empire's architectural M.O. The Empire's M.O. seems to be to make big stuff for the sake of it being big and imposing, ie. rule through fear (and looking impressive).

Also, given how little space even a lot of people seem to take up, compared to the overall size of the ISD, I don't think we need to worry about having enough space.

So, agreed with your approach.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.^

In addition, having looked again at the Rebels scene, that engine room could be seen as maybe 10-15 decks tall - that's really a drop in the bucket. We could fit 13 of those rooms vertically, and up to 20-30 bow-to-stern.

There's definitely room, so we should just find a place for it. I'd say it's center ship, just forward of the reactor. Thoughts?
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Agreed.^

In addition, having looked again at the Rebels scene, that engine room could be seen as maybe 10-15 decks tall - that's really a drop in the bucket. We could fit 13 of those rooms vertically, and up to 20-30 bow-to-stern.

There's definitely room, so we should just find a place for it. I'd say it's center ship, just forward of the reactor. Thoughts?

Center ship forward of the reactor would already be cavernous, as that's where the hangars are. I'm guessing there are a lot of open spaces around the reactors and the reactor cooling systems.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::slaps forehead::

D'oh. Right, hangars.

Ok, I'll look again. I know you're right, there's definitely room somewhere, we'll find it.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Mojomoe wrote:
Agreed.^

Center ship forward of the reactor would already be cavernous, as that's where the hangars are. I'm guessing there are a lot of open spaces around the reactors and the reactor cooling systems.

Whatever you do, make sure there are lots of bridges across seemingly pointless pits... With no handrails.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Mojomoe wrote:
Agreed.^

Whatever you do, make sure there are lots of bridges across seemingly pointless pits... With no handrails.

Of course! It must be so!
Rezikai
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so anyone notice the huge Chimera image painted/decaled on Thrawn's Star Destroyer?

Also anyone got stats on the Chimera?
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the underside of her hull, the Chimaera had a large engraving representing a chimaera.

Chimaera is a standards impérial I class star destroyer but is the flagship ship of the seven fleet, and i think is crew is the best of the fleet.

note : Many of the crew of the Chimaera wore a stylised symbol of a Chimaera, either of their arms or pauldrons

ok, it is copy from wookiepedia lol

Don't shoot, don't shoot....... Embarassed
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rezikai wrote:
so anyone notice the huge Chimera image painted/decaled on Thrawn's Star Destroyer?

Also anyone got stats on the Chimera?

Yeah, that chimera decal was a nice touch that wasn't (IIRC) in the Legends continuity.

And I would expect the Chimera's stats to be in the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook. I can't imagine it being any different from any other ImpStar (either I or II).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 35 of 38

Jump to: