The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Squad of storm troopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Squad of storm troopers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Squad of storm troopers Reply with quote

I actually GM'ed a bunch of new players that all agreed to play Storm Troopers to make things easier on them. It atually worked out quite well. I know the whole goal of the game is to join the rebels and defeat the Empire but it was pretty cool to play the other side.

There were a few things that had to happen to pull this off. Players had to agree to play storm troopers as dedicated storm troopers. There could be no personal agendas or defecting. One player agreed and then thought it would be cool to defect and take all this cool equipment with him. Well, the rest of the squad actually got assigned to aprehending the deserter. Oh yeah, by the way, did you know desertion is an offense punishable by death? Wink

Everyone got to play the class of character they wanted. We had a pilot, a scout, a heavy weapons expert, a demolishions expert, a vehicle expert, and a few grunts.

This made it easier on myself as well since our resources were limited as far as books and such. Players never had to worry about equipment, funds, or rides anywhere. Transports were usually available if they needed to go somewhere. Although it was interesting after awhile to station them at an outpost that was on the outer edges and away from supply lines.

It is a cool idea if everyone is willing to play the role well. We had a lot of fun with it.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a cool campaign! I like the idea of not having to worry about equipment and transportation. They just get issued their gear and assigned a ship to drop them at their destination. I think it would be fun to roleplay the "other side" of the galactic conflict, too... Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Storm Commando-in-training once, it was kinda fun owning up rebels. The template i used was based on the specforce infiltrator, it was kinda fun, but trying to work your way up to the commando average skills is a pain Crying or Very sad
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the guys I was playing with wanted to be a squad of elite commandos. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen. I explained that they could all try to boost their skills and that was their goal but they started out just regular army. It was cool too because the one time I put them in a huge campaign the Empire was staging. They were a squad in a company size element that was just the spear head of the attack on some pirates who were controlling a sector of space. It was pretty cool. The players really liked it too because they had backup (in a major way) and they had their own little story in a larger one.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found my guy's character sheet today, and when he got up his combat skills to commando average, he would have been the leetest jet-li jackie chan of the commando units, cause instead of brawling, he would have had martial arts, and he had acrobatics Very Happy
Theron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that sort of a campaign very interesting. The empire under Daala was not actually a bad thing (women and aliens had equal rights). It provided order, and protected trade, and peoples lives from other bad and viloent peoples (i.e. the rebbellion). It was a legitament form of gov't(even if it was still military rule).

Storm Troopers (and in general, anyone in the Empire) does not actually have to conform to all the ideas of the Empire. They might hold the belief that it is better to change the emopire fomr the inside to open rebellion (that would cost many lives, and geberate a genarl upheaval in the galaxy, or maybe they just think the rebbels have no chance...).

Can you give us any more specifics on how the game went? Were their any major problems? And by the way, what happened to the deserter?
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To many stereotypes in star wars sometimes. I mean, everyone views the empire as bad, and the rebellion as good. Let's not forget that the reason the republic feel was because of all the corruption. I like the idea of trying the other side. I should try that with the people I play with next time I play.[/b][/i]

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a reason for stereotypes in Star Wars, and that is part of its appeal. Those clear cut boundaries between what is good and what is evil…that’s what’s part of what makes it so appealing to the masses. It’s a classic, epic, archetypal tail, which resonates to us all on an unconscious level.

Sure, it’s not very realistic in that sense, but that is not what Lucas was going for. If the Force and the universe functioned like ours, there would be no clear division between the Light and Dark sides of the Force; it would all be a matter of perspective. But there is that partition; Lucas strove to drive that home even further with the special edition movies by have Greedo shoot first to illustrate that Han (a protagonist) would not make the “evil” first shot.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han shot first. Period.

And that really sounds like a cool idea. I think I'll try it in my "Empire"-spin-off -campaign. Smile

Uh, just some questions though: You said your stormies had pilots and heavy weapons experts... what exactly do THEY look like? Regular stormies?
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played several "you are imperial" games. Mostly intelligence or COMNOR... ANd one was tie pilots...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it'd be fun. My first group had an ex-stormie who'd augmented his armor... the top half of his stormie helmet pulled off (except for one eyepiece) and had a spike on the top like the old German soldier helmets. He was pretty handy in a firefight, or a lum-guzzling contest! It was nice to have him in the party- he provided us with knowledge about Imperial procedures and helped us out of a few scrapes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
That sounds like it'd be fun. My first group had an ex-stormie who'd augmented his armor... the top half of his stormie helmet pulled off (except for one eyepiece) and had a spike on the top like the old German soldier helmets. He was pretty handy in a firefight, or a lum-guzzling contest! It was nice to have him in the party- he provided us with knowledge about Imperial procedures and helped us out of a few scrapes.

But would that not make him top priority to kill off for when the imps do come a calling? And if he was known to be working with the rebs, would it not stand to reason that the imps would revamp their proceedures to NEGATE what he tells the rebs?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come, come now garhkal, did the Soviets completely revamp everything they did when soldiers/pilots defected to the West? Did the Germans revamp everything in WW2 when people defected and went to America?

The Empire would hardly even consider the idea of revamping everything simply because one, or even a hundred stormtroopers defected (though defections in the stormtrooper ranks should be rare indeed). With as many stormtroopers that are in the Empire, it would be a major internal undertaking to revamp things simply due to a select few defecting to the "bad guys" side. Now security codes or frequencies transmitted on might be changed for the unit the defector was from, but I'd hardly think that changes would range beyond that. Not unless it was some super high ranking person that defected, then a lot of codes and freaks would need to changed. Kind of like when Cracken defected to the rebels, it probably forced the Empire to change all of the codes that the Storm Commandos used, but I doubt they went and retrained all of the Storm Commandos or changed a ton of stuff throughout the entire Empire.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken. Just my nee jerk reaction when i see someone using ex imp anything...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

But would that not make him top priority to kill off for when the imps do come a calling? And if he was known to be working with the rebs, would it not stand to reason that the imps would revamp their proceedures to NEGATE what he tells the rebs?

Well, you would think that, but as Grimace (correctly) pointed out, he was simply a stormtrooper who'd been ordered to burn one too many villages. His conscience grew a voice and as a result he came to us. He wasn't high enough to be of much consequence, and unfortunately that group didn't run long enough for the GM to get around to sending his old unit after us. It would have been interesting, to say the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: