The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Flak Cannons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Flak Cannons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Flak Cannons Reply with quote

This post is not to be confused with the thread Flak Turbolasers posted by CRMcNeill. The conversions below are from a sidebar in Rise of the Separatists. I note this because I want to make sure people understand, though the threads sound similar, this thread is very different from the insights posted by CRMNeill and others in the aforementioned thread.

Please, take a look, make comments, and post suggestions.

Flak Cannons
Flak cannons fire large-caliber shells packed with thousands of dangerous tiny objects such as shrapnel, microexplosive pellets, or inert durasteel fletchettes. Flak shells bust as a set distance after firing, and spread their contents in a dense cloud that can tear small, lightly armored airspeeders or starfighters to shreds in an instant.

Like most vehicle and ship mounted weapons, flak cannons come in light, medium, and heavy models. Light flak cannons are typically mounted in surface installations on air-defense walkers, or as point defense systems on gunboats or small capital ships.Medium and heavy models are typically mounted in large surface fortifications or on starships of cruiser size or larger.

Light Flak Cannon
Type: Area suppressor
Skill: Blaster artillery
Scale: Walker
Cost: 6,000
Availability: 2, X
Fire Control: 2D
Atmosphere Range: 300-500/1.5/3 Km
Area of Affect: 0-25/50
Terrain Difficulty: Difficult/Moderate
Damage: 5D/3D

Medium Flak Cannon
Scale: Starfighter
Cost: 8,000
Availability: 2, X
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Area of Affect: 1/2 space units
Damage: 5D/3D

Heavy Flak Cannon
Scale: Starfighter
Cost: 10,000
Availability: 3, X
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Area of Affect: 1/2/3 space units
Damage: 5D/4D/3D

Game Notes: The emplacement selects a 1 space unit target area and makes a skill roll, if the roll fails use the scatter rules for grenades to figure location. Any ship in or flying through the suppressed areas must make a piloting defense roll versus the difficulty of the area effect band. The pilot must make a piloting skill check everytime the ship enters an affected area. The suppression effect lasts until the beginning of the firing emplacements next round.
Source: Rise of the Separatists (p.78), D6 mechanics by +Oliver Queen
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If multiple flaks go off in the same "SU", does that shift UP the terrain's difficulty?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If multiple flaks go off in the same "SU", does that shift UP the terrain's difficulty?

I did not think about multiple flaks going off in the same SU, but I suppose it could happen. Though, honestly, space is pretty big so the idea of space flak guns is silly, but it is Star Wars, soooo...

I don't think a rule needs to be made per se, but I think it would be best handled by the GM based on the story and scene. IF it came up in play in one my games, I might give the terrain difficulty a +5 bump. Maybe even bump the damage +1 if i was feeling especially grumpy.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that this is in line with how it is written up in the source material, but basic metal shrapnel is, IMO, disgustingly low-tech for a universe as advanced as the SWU. It's be nice if the "shrapnel" was super-hot plasma shards or something similarly high-tech that could be plausibly written as having a chance to penetrate shields...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I get that this is in line with how it is written up in the source material, but basic metal shrapnel is, IMO, disgustingly low-tech for a universe as advanced as the SWU. It's be nice if the "shrapnel" was super-hot plasma shards or something similarly high-tech that could be plausibly written as having a chance to penetrate shields...

I thought this was an energy weapon as you describe. At least that is how I envisioned it, like you said, its Star Wars. It appears in a side-bar for the Munificent-class frigate and from what I remember of episodes for TCW that is how they operated. No reason to think these are real world flak gun.

I just went back and re-read it and you are correct. The heck with that, in my game its some kinda wordy gobbledy gook explanation that looks cool.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe hype up the high-tech aspects of the shrapnel, like the microexplosive pellets, or fudge a bit on the more mundane shrapnel types, like calling them ion flechettes, or reactive shrapnel that explosively detonates on contact with energy shields, or something similar.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Maybe hype up the high-tech aspects of the shrapnel, like the microexplosive pellets, or fudge a bit on the more mundane shrapnel types, like calling them ion flechettes, or reactive shrapnel that explosively detonates on contact with energy shields, or something similar.

The state of modern flak guns: the Rheinmetal Oerlikon Ahead Airburst Munition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: