The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

7-Z Thranta series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> 7-Z Thranta series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: 7-Z Thranta series Reply with quote

Quote:
This, combined with the relatively low cost of a hyperdrive, enables many citizens to afford their own ships;

~Star Wars Roleplaying game 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded

Despite the apparently relatively low-cost of space travel, we don't seem to see a lot of starships aimed at the use for the 'common' person, though there is the odd ship like the short-range Poranji Orbital Jumper. So I came up with the Thranta series, which is sort of designed to be the common citizen's starship. It doesn't have the cargo capacity of a freighter or the fighting qualities of a starfighter, but the base model has just enough of both to work like a space-going mini-van for the average family (or small party) at an economical cost.

Craft: Nova Drive 7-Z Thranta Basic
Type: Light Transport / Gig
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 10.5 meters
Skill: Space Transports: 7-Z Thranta
Crew: 1
Crew Skill: Starfighter piloting 2D / Transports 2D+2, starship gunnery 2D+2, starship shields 2D+1
Passengers: 4
Cargo Capacity: 20 Metric tons
Consumables: 2 weeks
Cost: 52,000 Credits (new); ~25,000 Credits (used)
Maneuverability: 2D+1
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 400; 1,150 kmh
Hyperdrive: x3
Hull: 2D+2
Shields: 1D

Sensors:
Passive: 15/OD
Scan: 25/ID
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 1/2D

Weapons:
2 Light Blasters (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-5/8/14
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 3D+2

Capsule: The 7-z Thranta Basic, as its name suggests, is the most basic version of the 7-Z Thranta produced by Nova Drive. It's systems are very basic but designed with intuitive controls, which while it makes underperforming compared to most military or high-end civilian ships, makes it very affordable and easy to operate for most people. Nova Drive markets this ship primarily in its designer's original intent, to the average family and first starship owners. In this way, it often acts like the family's space-going landspeeder, ferrying the family to the local space stations or the neighboring moon, and even occasionally on vacations to nearby planets. Consequently, its relatively slow sublight and superluminal speeds aren't much of a concern to this market. Because of this, it also has a very basic nav computer as well, holding only four sets of jump coordinates. It has a moderately thin hull built of durasteel, and incorporates smooth plaeklite panneling inside and synth-hide upholstery. Unlike most starships of this size, the Thranta Basic has a few features designed for family use, such as a holo-projector entertainment system, improved environmental controls, a basic refresher room, and an autochef that can make two basic meals and five different snacks.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, practical idea, Corise Lucerne!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there aren't enough "cars" in space travel; the kind of thing a family would have. Good idea and good work.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but I think the ship is too maneuverable.. 2D+1 puts it in the performance range of a fighter. I think 1D+1 might be a better fit for the family station wagon.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I like the idea, but I think the ship is too maneuverable.. 2D+1 puts it in the performance range of a fighter. I think 1D+1 might be a better fit for the family station wagon.

I have to admit, I've kind of been wavering on just exactly how maneuverable I want to make it, because you're absolutely right, as it stands, it does have the maneuverability of a starfighter.

Part of it because the size of the ship is that of starfighter, with the basic frame not being terribly unsimiliar to the Cloakshape. Part of me almost feels like it should be treated as light starfighter with added passenger space (almost like a gig) rather than purely a space transport, and I'm not terribly sure what the best way to treat that is. I'm open to ideas on how to strike the right balance with that.

In terms of comparative maneuverability, it's the same as the #2 Warpod (which almost seems like a larger military version of the Thranta to my eyes) and the Helix Light Interceptor, which blurs the line between starfighter and transport kind of like the Thranta, but on a more upscale level. The A-24 Sleuth, another starship of similiar size to the Thranta, that also blurs the line between starfighter and transport, has a maneuverability of 2D, which isn't too far off.

That all being said, the Thranta does have slightly more maneuverability than the Tie/ln, which supposedly is a fairly maneuverable fighter, but it's also less maneuverable than the Cloakshape, which I feel has a fairly similar fuselage to Thranta in terms of size and shape. But I suppose that's the inconsistencies of WEG ship design for you. Razz

I have several other variants of this design that I'm hashing out right now that fill little niche roles in the market that I don't think are (well) filled by canon ships.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one ever come up with stats to the Tawin's (the family that crashed on Endor) starwagon, or do we not mention those movies here? The first post is right we don't see a lot of stats for the family outing.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know somebody here posted some stats for something from the Endor movies; I thought it was the ship. Might scroll through this section (Ships & Equipment) to find it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the ship from Ewoks 2.

And the family name was Towani...

EDIT: Here is the link for the Towani's ship. There's not much there apart from the pictures...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the correction on the Family's name, I haven't seen it in print in years. At least I got most of the letters in there.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly applaud the idea, something more affordable than the yachts and light scouts that basically fill the role.
But cost is affected dramatically by performance, hence light transports are very conservative and you don't have to be a millionaire to buy one. You do for a corvette and a suped up freighter starts to bridge that gap.

I'd err on the side of ultra-conservative stats for "an affordable, common person's transport".
A pretty high performance one would move in the order of 5 space units, with a hyperdrive of x2 or better. Manoeuvrability might be 1D+1 or better. It might well be armed with something more than harsh language.
A budget version wouldn't have these things.
It would move more like 3 or 4 (doing a couple of moves you can get along at 6-8 units/rnd, pretty spritely for the family station wagon).
Its manoeuvrability would be more like 0D-1D. Hyperdrive the slow x3 or x4. Consumables range around about a month. Only weapon might be a scout type debris blasting tool like a proton launcher (useless against any starship with shields active but terrific for blasting dangerous space debris or small asteroids in your path). Otherwise the most easily licensed weapon if you venture into the civilized coreward worlds is going to be something like a 2D damage defensive laser only capable of warning shots and irritating people. Bigger guns are just much easier to get licensed for Outer Rim travel runs, but who in the Core is going to take a cheap little personal yacht into the dangerous Outer Rim Territories to get eaten by Noghri and who knows what other horrors?
You'd be looking at 1-2 crew and 3-4 passengers with a 10-20 ton cargo capacity I should think, with a 2-3D hull and only the upgraded version would get energy shields, particle shielding is already in the hull code and fitted standard from rebel era on (post Information Age tech level, ca. 1000BBY with isolated spurts going back another few millennia).

But say, NJO era and later, the high performance version would be the standard one.

The main rule of thumb is affordability. I highly recommend the Starships Pricing Chart by Krapou and Grimace. It shows you the cost in pretty accurate WEG represented measures for a given set of statistics and data of a particular spacecraft class that you want to construct from scratch, using the build points system and translating it to credits value of the project in raw base construction/production cost.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Certainly applaud the idea, something more affordable than the yachts and light scouts that basically fill the role.
But cost is affected dramatically by performance, hence light transports are very conservative and you don't have to be a millionaire to buy one. You do for a corvette and a suped up freighter starts to bridge that gap.

I'd err on the side of ultra-conservative stats for "an affordable, common person's transport".
A pretty high performance one would move in the order of 5 space units, with a hyperdrive of x2 or better. Manoeuvrability might be 1D+1 or better. It might well be armed with something more than harsh language.
A budget version wouldn't have these things.
It would move more like 3 or 4 (doing a couple of moves you can get along at 6-8 units/rnd, pretty spritely for the family station wagon).
Its manoeuvrability would be more like 0D-1D. Hyperdrive the slow x3 or x4. Consumables range around about a month. Only weapon might be a scout type debris blasting tool like a proton launcher (useless against any starship with shields active but terrific for blasting dangerous space debris or small asteroids in your path). Otherwise the most easily licensed weapon if you venture into the civilized coreward worlds is going to be something like a 2D damage defensive laser only capable of warning shots and irritating people. Bigger guns are just much easier to get licensed for Outer Rim travel runs, but who in the Core is going to take a cheap little personal yacht into the dangerous Outer Rim Territories to get eaten by Noghri and who knows what other horrors?
You'd be looking at 1-2 crew and 3-4 passengers with a 10-20 ton cargo capacity I should think, with a 2-3D hull and only the upgraded version would get energy shields, particle shielding is already in the hull code and fitted standard from rebel era on (post Information Age tech level, ca. 1000BBY with isolated spurts going back another few millennia).

But say, NJO era and later, the high performance version would be the standard one.

The main rule of thumb is affordability. I highly recommend the Starships Pricing Chart by Krapou and Grimace. It shows you the cost in pretty accurate WEG represented measures for a given set of statistics and data of a particular spacecraft class that you want to construct from scratch, using the build points system and translating it to credits value of the project in raw base construction/production cost.

You've just tempted me to make an even more basic one after using the pricing guide (though I had to modify some stats to get it to accept the design), which means I might have to rename the current "Basic" to something else. Wink

The current basic is a little more than just a flying box, but I'm somewhat intentional in keeping the low-grade combat capabilities. From an OOC perspective, this partly because it would give a small party of PCs a little more options than trying to away at low speeds, and partly because I can also envision this being used as cheap light fighters (Cannon fodder?) by cost-conscious groups like planetary militias or pirates. From a more IC perspective, there may be other real basic designs out there (especially in the Core worlds), but how many people are going to want buy an unarmed and slow starship in the Outer Rim? I would see such a craft as being pirate or slaver bait.

I think I could envision a more basic craft in the Core where areas would be more safe and secure.

What is a proton launcher, or did you mean a proton torpedo launcher?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars Design Alliance has a couple models (complete with deck plans) that are essentially RVs in space.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC notes for the Thranta Basic:

The Thranta Basic fills the obvious role of a cheap and commonplace if lacklaster transport. This makes it ideal as a starting ship that a party might be able to afford on its own or borrowed(stolen?) from NPCs of lesser means.

Alternatively, it can be used as cannon fodder during space combat against PC-operated ships, used by desperate pirates, criminals, or even freedom fighters. Or in the reverse, it could be the ship to give to a party of PCs you really don't want getting involved in starship combat.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craft: Nova Drive 7-Z Thranta Sport
Type: Light Transport / Exploration yacht
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 10.5 meters
Skill: Space Transports: 7-Z Thranta
Crew: 1
Crew Skill: Starfighter piloting 2D / Transports 2D+2, starship gunnery 2D+2, starship shields 2D+1
Passengers: 3 (long-term) / 6 on day cruises
Cargo Capacity: 14 Metric tons
Consumables: 3 weeks
Cost: 72,000 Credits (new); ~45,000 Credits (used)
Maneuverability: 2D+2
Space: 8
Atmosphere: 400; 1,150 kmh
Hyperdrive: x2
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D

Sensors:
Passive: 15/OD
Scan: 25/ID
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 1/2D

Weapons:
2 Light Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5/12/19
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 4D

1 Light Tractor Beam Projector
Space Range: 1-3/7/15
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/700/1.5 km
Fire Control: 2D
Damage: 1D

Capsule: While externally very similar looking to the Thranta Basic, the Thranta Sport is a much different beast. The 7-Z Thranta Sport was designed to be a sporting yacht for those who like to explore or want a good starter ship for starship competitions. While still relatively inexpensive, the Sport is more expensive than the Basic and incorporates more features designed for younger adults interested in adventures or exploring. These include a small speeder bike bay capable of holding two speeder bikes or swoops. or alternatively a small landspeeder. It features a slightly larger galley for its owners to cook their own meals. Alternatively, the owners can also use the built-in and enhanced autochef, capable of being programmed to make ten different meals, thirteen snacks, and a drink mixer capable of making twenty different alcoholic beverages. The ship's refresher room was also similiarly enhanced from the Basic, and besides being slightly larger, also incorporates a sonic shower. Thinking that some of its owners might get in over their heads during their adventures, the ship's designers also incorporated a small and very basic medical bay with a single stretcher and several built-in diagnostic tools and medical supplies onboard. Because it is expected to travel longer distances, the ship's engines were upgraded along with the hyperdrive to levels more common for most civilian craft. Owners have the option of installing either a nav computer with room for 16 jumps or incorporating an astromech slot. Because it is intended to wander away from more traveled space lanes, the ship received an improved armament, allowing it to fend off the older craft used by many criminals, but it is still not be a very capable fighter against most modern military craft. It also features a light tractor beam projector, which is used to bring in objects for closer study or retrieval, or alternatively can be used to hamper enemy ships attacking the vessel. The Thranta Sport comes with laminasteel hull plating to provide better protection and resist corrosion, durable and easily cleaned internal duraplast paneling, and comfortable synthleather upholstery for the ship's seats and beds.

OOC Notes: This version of the Thranta is really designed for use by PCs, whom might not really optimised for space combat, but can handle small threats on the journey. Such a ship could prove useful for a starting scout, perhaps a wandering Jedi master and his padawan, or even a couple of bounty hunters.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing episode 2 with padme's small small personal ship she took to Tatoonie, I thought about adding a curiourer class starship, starfigher scale, space transports skill, few weapons, few passengers, small cargo capacity. But I never went any where with this idea. Has anyone taken ships for the trilogies and EU and classified them in a similar way. Would slave 1 fall into this category? Or is it too large and too armed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: