The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Converting d20 to D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Converting d20 to D6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Converting d20 to D6 Reply with quote

Okay, so, I've invited a new player (old friend though, but never played D6 Star Wars) into my game. He is a good RPGer and fits in well. BUT, he really, really loves his d20 character and wants to convert it to D6. I wouldn't normally have a problem with this, but I have no idea how powerful he would be in the new/old system.

I don't know what the character is, Jedi, Smuggler, whatever... I want to know how to convert d20 to D6. After all, a level 7 Force user is a Jedi Knight according to WotC, so how friggin' powerful could he be? Question
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go here and use it as a guideline as he wishes, you have to work withthe player to tweak it to get it close to perfect...

http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/notes.html

or you could find out the average exp gain from D20, ,devide that by the amount he has and you find the amound of games that he has played. Then you let him roll like 2D6+6 for each game he played to find the exp he would have gained if he played that character in a D6 game, and just let him build it from scratch (with your guidence).
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, of course, there is the flip-side of the coin.

I am curious, what "level" is Luke Skywalker in this d20 system? How would my D6 character stack in a d20 game? How does one make a conversion for the other way around?

Gigobyte, thanks for the site. I have used that site before for other conversions, but I never actually saw that page.

So, does anyone know how to <shudder> convert D6 to d20? Or would my guy with 11D in a certain skill or 9D in Control be just a bad mo-fo 1st level character?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask him to show you his d20 book. There is a D6 conversion table in the back. Of course, you'll have to decontaminate afterwards...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Wizards of the Coast has the D^-D20 conversion chart on their website.

Wanted Poster
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that your do want to keep in mind is that WOTC think that people in either system want there attributes to be raised. In 3rd edition it happens when you reach certain level. While in WEG editions it cost blastboats full of character points. In fact not that many people have wanted to you 30 points to raise an attribute one pip, because of the gamble that you could loose half and not get your pip.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would that happen?

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you increase an attribute, you take the new value, and have a "Roll Off" with the GM who rolls the old value.

If you roll higher, you do not increase, and only get back half the Character Points spent. If you roll lower, you get the increase, and loose all the Character Points. This is to demonstrate how difficult it is to really improve oneself.

Example: Crunch, tired of everyone calling him stupid, saves up 10 Character Points to increase his 1D+2 Intelligence to bring it to 2D. His player rolls 2D, and gets four. The GM rolls a single die, gets a 1, and adds 2 to make the total three.

Crunch's time in the Library reading "Dummies" books and watching "The Discovery Datafeed" pay off, and he is graced with a 2D Intelligence.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ray, your example is opposite of how you explain. Unless, during your explanation, the "you" refers to the GM.

In the explanation, "if you roll higher, you do not increase..."

In the example, Crush rolls higher than the GM, but still increases INT.

Perhaps a clarification would be helpful.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example: Crunch, tired of everyone calling him stupid. You save up 10 Character Points to increase his 1D+2 Intelligence to bring it to 2D. You roll 2D, and gets four. The GM rolls a single die, gets a 1, and adds 2 to make the total three.

Crunch's time in the Library reading "Dummies" books and watching "The Discovery Datafeed" pay off, and he is graced with a 2D Intelligence.

How's that?

I wrote the description from the point of view of someone explaining to the target audience how to do it, and used the Example as a... Well... Example of how someone else would do it.

Namely myself when I decided that the "Stupid Crunch" character had gone as far as he could, and wanted to work on his personality and intelligence, as he had been exposed to a lot of really great ideas and plans that he could barely follow.

'Course, it would have helped if he paid attention to breifings, rather than playing with the BNY Droid.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How's that?

Still unclear. Here's your first example.

Quote:
If you roll higher, you do not increase, and only get back half the Character Points spent. If you roll lower, you get the increase, and loose all the Character Points.

I take this to mean that if I, the player, rolls higher than the GM, I do not gain the pip in the attribute. If I roll lower than the GM, I do.

However, in your example:

Quote:
His player rolls 2D, and gets four. The GM rolls a single die, gets a 1, and adds 2 to make the total three.

Further, you state
Quote:

So, in the first, it seems if you roll higher, you don't gain the pip, and lose half of the CPs. Yet in your example, Crunch rolls higher and DOES gain the pip.

So which is it?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Blinks*... OK, that'll learn me to post when tired.

I'll read the book again and get back to you. Been awhile since I read it, and I've only done it once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: