The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Falling Star: Star Wars D6 Play podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Falling Star: Star Wars D6 Play podcast Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, angelicdoctor! The North Texas con looked like fun. I don't know if you saw Jeff Dee there (one of the guests); based on some stuff he posted I ended up scrolling through many of the pictures for the event.

aegis, another possibility is the Seattle area. Besides the (planned) Rancor Pit get-together, we also have a ton of RPGers in this area. I could have had even more players in my game, but had to cap it due to there being too many/too much interest.

We definitely get all four seasons here, though we don't always get snow.
angelicdoctor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Welcome, angelicdoctor! The North Texas con looked like fun. I don't know if you saw Jeff Dee there (one of the guests); based on some stuff he posted I ended up scrolling through many of the pictures for the event.

aegis, another possibility is the Seattle area. Besides the (planned) Rancor Pit get-together, we also have a ton of RPGers in this area. I could have had even more players in my game, but had to cap it due to there being too many/too much interest.

I had the opportunity to see Jeff Dee at last year's con. (I subsequently lost my man card this year and didn't go...long story) I was marveled as I stood there and watched him work. Amazing artist!

How on earth did you manage to run a campaign for over 20 years? Wow. I salute you!

Secede from the Empire!

Last edited by angelicdoctor on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
angelicdoctor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Welcome to the RancorPit and welcome to the Podcast.

I'm afraid I'm not much of a warm-weather guy. As a Michigan native, I like my winters to have... you know... snow. Wink

Oh, then you'll want to live in north Texas. We actually were treated to an ice storm this year which resulted in the loss of power for about 3 cold and long days. Brrrr!

Secede from the Empire!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelicdoctor wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

I had the opportunity to see Jeff Dee at last year's con. (I subsequently lost my man card this year and didn't go...long story) I was marveled as I stood there and watched him work. Amazing artist!

How on earth did you manage to run a campaign for over 20 years? Wow. I salute you!

Thank you, sir! The campaign is for a game that Jeff Dee co-created, as a matter of fact. What can I say, great players and we all take turn GMing, which really helps. It also doesn't hurt that we're playing in a genre that is both modern and can cover just about any theme or style (supers, so we can do post-apocalyptic future to dark fantasy to space opera to medieval, etc.).

I got a chance to play the game with Jeff Dee a couple of years ago. Great guy and fanstastic artist!
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New episode is up. A little of the side conversation is a bit more adult than previous episodes, but they were too funny to scrub. Its not worth an Explicit tag, but you've been warned. Wink
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delayed a couple of days as I have a final exam tomorrow & I have been studying for that instead of editing audio. Hopefully after Tuesday I'll be able to get a few episodes into the pipe.
angelicdoctor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Delayed a couple of days as I have a final exam tomorrow & I have been studying for that instead of editing audio. Hopefully after Tuesday I'll be able to get a few episodes into the pipe.

Final exam? What is it that you have been studying for, if you don't mind the impertinent question?

Secede from the Empire!
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-taking Calculus I-IV since I have not taken a calc class in 20 years.
Finally completing that physics degree.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to abhor the cutscene, but I've come to appreciate them as a valuable storytelling tool; Players are not Characters and while leaving mysteries that never get solved is par for the course for a character, as players and listeners, its pretty unsatisfying.

I guess the real question for the podcast:

I really want a more cinematic feel in the podcast even over the game itself.
I'm TEMPTED to ask people to do small vocal clips because I think it adds to the limited range of voices/accents I can do.

I especially need FEMALE voices. If anyone is interested in reading parts, let me know (or has a family member they can rope in.) My cutscenes are usually brief. For most people its usually just a line or two of dialogue.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://swfallingstar.podbean.com/e/falling-star-15-episode-i-part-4-perihelion/

New episode is up. I did a bit of re-recording and adding FX & background music to the cutscenes (they're right at the front of the episode-- first 10 minutes or so) and I was fairly happy with the results. Honestly i needed a few sound fx that I couldn't find (Ship exiting hyperspace, Star Destroyer engine rumble, lambda shuttle in flight, but what I did have worked well I think.

As always, feedback is welcome.
angelicdoctor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you familiar with Garrett Crowe's Threat Detected live play podcast? Starting at Episode 27, he starts a new segment called Technical Readout and focuses on the many aspects surrounding the production of a live play podcast. He has a lot of good recommendations and suggestions.

Secede from the Empire!
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listened to it a few times. I can't find the START; and I really hate starting in the middle ; there seems little in the way of an index of episodes. I also have some issues with their audio; their transitions between GM's conversations and the game are not well marked and I may be misremembering, but the audio quality was pretty crap.

Should I take it to mean you don't like the cut-scenes or ...?
angelicdoctor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Not at all. In fact, I came back to the site this evening to relate to you that I absolutely loved the cut scenes you performed, edited and produced. It really helps me to understand a great deal more the story you and your players are in the process of telling. Well done, amigo. Need a female voice? Your wife would not be interested, I suppose?

Garrett has moved to another web locale and unfortunately it seems his older podcasts may be offline for the moment, however, when they return you may be interested in listening to Episode 27 and following. These are the ones wherein he added a new segment called, 'Technical Readout' discussing producing live play podcast. Part of the reason for the poor quality in earlier episodes was due mainly to the fact that he and his group was meeting in a classroom and that he was using a omni-directional microphone. This, he covers in his segment, Technical Readout.

Secede from the Empire!
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. okay. Well, this time its not scheduling, but editing time that's killing me. Totally swamped for time but at least got a new episode out.

http://swfallingstar.podbean.com/e/falling-star-16-episode-i-part-5-perihelion/
angelicdoctor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I did not expect that you'd go the child assassin route. I am curious to know the story behind that aspect. Having a fallen sibling in the military services is not enough for me, I'm afraid.

Good show, nonetheless!

Secede from the Empire!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: