The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Different take on stormtroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Different take on stormtroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I had the crazy though the other day reading this threat and wondered what it would look like if there was only one type of Stormtrooper. No Sand Trooper, no Snow Trooper, or Scout Trooper (biker scout) that a stormtrooper is a stormtrooper is a stormtrooper. The only difference is the equipment that they are using. All stromtroopers have a set of cold weather gear, desert gear, and speeder bike gear. All the template would need is a few extra survival specializations, and repulsorlift operation. I would same from having all these specialized units on a Star Destroyer, command would just have to deploy the stormtroopers with a "It's cold out there, better take the snow armor."

Real world equaliviant, in the Marine's Hymn there's a line "We have fought in every clime and place where We could take a gun. From the snow far off norther lands to the sunny tropic scene, you will always find Us on the job, the United States Marine."

While that can work in some ways for us IRL, the fact is we still have dedicated teams for certain areas.
And can you imagine the size of their 'carry on's they would need for holding 3-4 sets of armor?!
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

griff wrote:
I had the crazy though the other day reading this threat and wondered what it would look like if there was only one type of Stormtrooper. No Sand Trooper, no Snow Trooper, or Scout Trooper (biker scout) that a stormtrooper is a stormtrooper is a stormtrooper. The only difference is the equipment that they are using. All stromtroopers have a set of cold weather gear, desert gear, and speeder bike gear. All the template would need is a few extra survival specializations, and repulsorlift operation. I would same from having all these specialized units on a Star Destroyer, command would just have to deploy the stormtroopers with a "It's cold out there, better take the snow armor."

Real world equaliviant, in the Marine's Hymn there's a line "We have fought in every clime and place where We could take a gun. From the snow far off norther lands to the sunny tropic scene, you will always find Us on the job, the United States Marine."

While that can work in some ways for us IRL, the fact is we still have dedicated teams for certain areas.
And can you imagine the size of their 'carry on's they would need for holding 3-4 sets of armor?!

The answer to that is, … they take up 3 to 4 more times the storage space than the average troop.

It sounds flippant, but it is true. A guy that did the normal version of my job could deploy with 2 maybe 3 bags of gear - most of that being personal stuff or stuff he would leave in the bag his whole deployment. Me, (and everyone on my team) would take up a little less than a 1/8 of a conex (say 6 - 8 bags, plus more for some specialized equipment depending on the location and mission).

That said, I didn't carry every bag with me everywhere I went, and some bags never came out of the conex, but it was always stored in a place someone could get it for me and have it in my hands within 2 days. With that, if you go for having all storm troopers having all the same training and equipment then in their support ship (whether it is a frigate, space station, base, star destroyer, or whatever) will have a ton of gear stored somewhere.

That will give them the ability to be very flexible and be able to react to any mission set rather quickly. However, the regular army, and even the navy that has to carry all that extra gear and eat all that extra space they could use for their own troops, will hate them for that same fact.

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible solution for that problem (as I like the idea of them being more generic and just taking different gear) would be to have generic ship's stores that are available to everyone.

For instance, in my job, it depends on where we're utilized as to whether we get certain weaponry or armor. When I transported inmates on a daily basis (part of a transport detail), I was issued a bulletproof vest and a sidearm. If I needed to take somebody to the hospital today, I would go check out a gun and vest from a common pool. Such an approach would save a lot on space requirements and costs, and we even have some precendent for stormtroopers being roughly the same size ("Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper").
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel each type of trooper is separate from the others.. Snow-sand-rad-commando-scout.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I still feel each type of trooper is separate from the others.. Snow-sand-rad-commando-scout.

I'm of the same mind there are too many skills unique to each type to make it practical for each just to be a change of armour.

Or at least tye way I'm running stormtroopers as I feel the book stats are lacking for elite troops.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'm of the same mind there are too many skills unique to each type to make it practical for each just to be a change of armour.

Or at least tye way I'm running stormtroopers as I feel the book stats are lacking for elite troops.

I agree, even in my real life examples, no one can be trained and good at everything ... Yes I was specially trained to do cool things, but ... if you put me in a room with all the 'regular' weather toys - that don't fit into a rock or are made specifically for an air field, I was overwhelmed.

That said, you could have special stormies that are better trained than the normal ones. Just to keep the players on their toes Wink

Forgive all spelling errors.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could always use the old royal guard on rotation with a normal unit ruse Smile

My other favourite is just a grizzled veteran sergeant leading the squad to throw a spanner in the works. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the grizzled vet is a favorite out there, i prefer having the unit be vets.. all comrades in arms. That way there is not just one "strong guy" that all the PCs can't gang up on to take out.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While the grizzled vet is a favorite out there, i prefer having the unit be vets.. all comrades in arms. That way there is not just one "strong guy" that all the PCs can't gang up on to take out.

That's for when they need a surprise on what they think is a cake walk Smile
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might have missed it somewhere but is there a netbook for D6 that goes into depth for storm troopers?

something that shows the team, squad, platoon, company, battalion, brigade, division break down? the differences in rank in relation to the number of skills and their ratings? all the gear storm troopers would use. their tactics-useful ones not the basic stand in a line and take turns shooting at each other ones.

i ask because the skill levels between the lowly private versus the sergeant versus the sergeant major were beyond significant. also, the differences between a 2nd lieutenant versus a captain versus a colonel are vast. and these differences cant be justified, in my mind, by the addition of a few extra pips in skills and one or two extra skills.

perhaps this info would be useful to those wishing to run a storm trooper campaign.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen that book, my stats are kinda generic with regards to rank.

I intend to work out a reasonably detailed view of squad, platoon, companies etc for stormtroopers along the lines of the imperial Army OB from the imperial sourcebook at some point but for now, I'd say an experienced trooper for most NCOs and junior officer ranks with the veteran for senior ranks both NCOS and officer. Maybe add a few dice of tactics and more dice or pips in command for them as well.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.4shared.com/office/R6ypK3Nq/Star_Wars_RPG_D20_Unofficial_-.html

It's actually written for D20, but has some good info in it...

T.C.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks will have a look through.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy and have manged to get a few more done to my satisfaction so here we go with the seatroopers, specialized but useful.

Aquatic Assault Trooper
Most habitable worlds have some large expanses of water, Aquatic Assault Stormtroopers or Seatroopers extend the Empires reach below the waves. Equipped with swimmer armoured transports and submersible vehicles, they support aquatic garrisons on water worlds.

Type: Aquatic Assault Trooper
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 5D+2, brawling parry 5D+2, dodge 5D+2, grenade 5D, melee combat 3D+2, melee parry 3D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D+1
Survival 3D+1
MECHANICAL 3D
Aquatic vehicle operation 3D+2
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Command 3D, search 3D+2
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 3D+2, swimming 4D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Armour repair: Stormtrooper armour 3D, blaster repair 3D, demolitions 2D+2
Character Points: Varies 5-10
Move: 10, 12 (swimming)
Equipment: Blastech E-11/S blaster rifle (5D),concussion grenades (5D/4D/3D/2D), seatrooper armour
Special Abilities:
Armour familiarity – no Dexterity or swimming penalties while wearing stormtrooper issued armour.
Loyal – completely loyal to the Galactic Empire cannot be bribed seduced or corrupted, will follow orders from any Imperial official with correct credentials.
Combined fire – any squad or smaller group can combine fire with out requiring a Command test.

Type: Experienced Aquatic Assault Trooper
DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster 6D+1, brawling parry 6D+1, dodge 6D+1, grenade 5D+2, melee combat 4D+2, melee parry 4D+2, missile weapons 4D+2, vehicle blasters 4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Survival 3D+2, survival: water 4D+1
MECHANICAL 3D+2
Aquatic vehicle operation 4D+1
PERCEPTION 3D
Command 3D+2, search 4D, sneak 3D+1
STRENGTH 3D+2
Brawling 4D+2, swimming 5D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Armour repair: Stormtrooper armour 3D, blaster repair 3D, demolitions 3D, first aid 2D+2
Character Points: Varies 10-15
Equipment: Blastech E-11/S blaster rifle (5D),concussion grenades (5D/4D/3D/2D), seatrooper armour
Special Abilities:
Armour familiarity – no Dexterity or swimming penalties while wearing stormtrooper issued armour.
Loyal – completely loyal to the Galactic Empire cannot be bribed seduced or corrupted, will follow orders from any Imperial official with correct credentials.
Combined fire – any squad or smaller group can combine fire with out requiring a Command test.

Type: Veteran Aquatic Assault Trooper
DEXTERITY 4D
Blaster 6D+2, brawling parry 6D+2, dodge 6D+2, grenade 6D, melee combat 5D+2, melee parry 5D+2, missile weapons 5D+2, vehicle blasters 5D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D+1
Survival 4D+1, survival: water 5D+1
MECHANICAL 3D+2
Aquatic vehicle operation 5D+2
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Command 4D+2, search 4D+2, sneak 4D
STRENGTH 4D
Brawling 5D, swimming 6D+2
TECHNICAL 3D+1
Armour repair: Stormtrooper armour 4D+1, blaster repair 4D+1, demolitions 4D, first aid 3D+2
Character Points: Varies 15-20
Special Abilities:
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coruscant Guard a military police unit that pokes it nose in everywhere quickly followed by a gun or taser.

Coruscant Guard
Originally formed as a police and bodyguard unit for the Galactic Senate, over the years they expanded their duties to protecting vital infrastructure and other important government locations on Coruscant and other Core Worlds, off Coruscant they are know as Imperial Guards.

Type: Coruscant Guard
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 5D+2, brawling parry 5D+2, dodge 5D+2, grenade 5D, melee combat 3D+2, melee parry 3D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D+1
Law enforcement 3D+1, survival 3D+1
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Command 3D, investigation 3D+2, search 3D+2
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 3D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Armour repair: Stormtrooper armour 3D, blaster repair 3D, demolitions 2D+2
Character Points: Varies 5-10
Move: 10
Equipment: Taser staff (5D stun), Blastech E-11 blaster rifle (5D), Blastech DL-18 blaster pistol (4D), Imperial Guard armour
Special Abilities:
Armour familiarity – no Dexterity penalties while wearing stormtrooper issued armour.

Type: Experienced Coruscant Guard
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 5D+2, brawling parry 6D, dodge 5D+2, grenade 5D, melee combat 4D+2, melee parry 4D+1
KNOWLEDGE 3D+1
Bureaucracy 3D+2, law enforcement 5D+1, survival 4D
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Command 4D, investigation 5D+2, search 5D+2
STRENGTH 3D+1
Brawling 5D
TECHNICAL 3D
Armour repair: Stormtrooper armour 3D+1, blaster repair 3D+1, demolitions 3D, first aid 3D+1
Character Points: Varies 10-15
Equipment: Taser staff (5D stun), Blastech E-11 blaster rifle (5D), Blastech DL-18 blaster pistol (4D), Imperial Guard armour
Special Abilities:
Armour familiarity – no Dexterity penalties while wearing stormtrooper issued armour.

Type: Veteran Coruscant Guard
DEXTERITY 3D+1
Blaster 6D, brawling parry 6D+1, dodge 6D+1, grenade 5D+1, melee combat 5D, melee parry 4D+12
KNOWLEDGE 3D+2
Bureaucracy 4D+2, law enforcement 6D+2, survival 4D+1
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Repulsorlift operation 3D+2
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Command 4D+1, investigation 6D+2, search 6D+2
STRENGTH 4D
Brawling 6D
TECHNICAL 3D
Armour repair: Stormtrooper armour 3D+2, blaster repair 3D+1, demolitions 3D, first aid 3D+1
Character Points: Varies 15-20
Special Abilities:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: