The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Different take on stormtroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Different take on stormtroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I would still argue tech skills, first aid is one, repairing bows and to a degree martial weapons is another

And whiile I agree on the catapult thing, I also would argue that flint napping, making a flint dagger, or relair it is a tech skill under melee weapon repair, in the RAW that is.

Naturally I am one that think many skills should change attribute and as such yes I can your point, but as to raw even the most primitive stone age people can use tech skills, it is technology, just a ver primitive one

and imo making, repair a stone dagger, a pointed stick or a stone axe are all as uder RAW tech skills, this also go for the repair and maintenance

Now we could argue that flint napping, and making pointed sticks and other "stone age" tools and weapons could fall under a default with the survival skill, and as such yes, would not for most primitives ( maybe Ewoks included) remove the need for TEC based skills, and still allow for the normal making, repairing of the most primitive tools/weapons.
And I can see a form of first aid also falling under this, knowing herbs and the like.

I got a A or B in my university Anthropology course and enjoyed it quite a bit. I am well aware of the definition of technology and I do not disagree with stone age tools technically (pun intended) being considered technology. I choose to define the Technical attribute in SW D6 as being concerned with the more "modern" computerized technology, which has been quite ubiquitous in the galaxy for over 25,000 years.

My Mechanical, while is does involve general feats of spatial awareness and more active operation of technology of a variety of tech levels, also includes operation and repair of primitive and archaic mechanical devices. "Mechanical" means or relating to machinery. Ewok bows and "archaic" engine ground cars are machines. In our world, cars are repaired by repaired by "mechanics." Technical includes some non-repair related skills too, so I never felt required to have all repair, such as primitive weapons and machines, in Tec.

So my division between Mechanical and Technical, which I formalized in the early 90s, makes a lot of sense to me. None of my players have ever had any trouble with it, including my son. It allows for primitive NPCs to have a little bit of Mechanical and Knowledge without any Technical. I moved First Aid to Knowledge, so that is not a concern of the Mec/Tec divide. If I made a Pulp Adventure D6 game, I would have the Mechanical attribute but not the Technical attribute.

Naaman wrote:
Lumping in grenades with throwing is sensible. I still prefer them to be separate skills, but if we look at the RAW for grenade, the skill itself says it covers the throwing of objects such as balls used in a sport. Its not too much of a stretch to think that other things (spears, axes, bolas, etc.) might just fall under the same skill (and military folks could specialize in grenade, making the investment a bit less taxing than RAW for a skill that does not show up often).

That's how I see it. It is a broad throwing skill with specializations. One such specialization is grenades. In RAW, grenade already included general throwing, so I just lump in thrown weapons, and generalized the skill name. This doesn't break my game. The specializations may be more common than the base skill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: