The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Interstellar Communications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Interstellar Communications Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's funny, the little tidbits you find tucked into some of the WEG books...

I'm thumbing through Han Solo & The Corporate Sector right now. A lot of the chapters begin with Han Solo monologuing to an Alliance interviewer about aspects of life in the Corporate Sector. On the lead-in to Chapter Four: Security Division (page 42), I found the following:
    "On the other hand, I figure the Empire could function without big rallies, purges or the Execution Channel, but somehow it just wouldn't be fun for them anymore and they know it."

Execution Channel?

Shocked

Earlier, we talked about holo-news segments being transmitted around the galaxy for informative purposes. This is something completely new. Considering how obsessed people here on Earth get with gory entertainment like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine beings across the galaxy settling down for an evening of watching a firing squad at work, or getting worked up for Disintegration Week on the Execution Channel.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Gives a whole new meaning to Shark Week, I telluwhut.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was surprising. I wonder, does Shark Week overlap with Talk like a Pirate Day?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the SWU, it's more likely to be Rancor Week, I would think. There is mention in the SWSB about underground holos being circulated of Jabba's Rancor eating people. Of course, Rancors were supposedly almost unheard of per WEG's history, but they've been used for all kinds of things in the EU ever since...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In the SWU, it's more likely to be Rancor Week, I would think. There is mention in the SWSB about underground holos being circulated of Jabba's Rancor eating people. Of course, Rancors were supposedly almost unheard of per WEG's history, but they've been used for all kinds of things in the EU ever since...
And some author put Rancors on Dathomir so they became even more common.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

And made them sentient.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

That'd be Dave Wolverton in The Courtship of Princess Leia, I believe. Not a good book.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But without Dave Wolverton and sentient Rancors, there would be no Fluffy!

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I found something in the WEg SW Sourcebook that's applicable.

A while back, I posted this as a possible explanation as to the functioning of subspace radio without the necessity of subspace as an actual dimension (distinct from realspace and hyperspace). Recently, while reading up on common sensors, I came across the following under the description of the Hyperwave Signal Interceptor
    In addition to detecting ships moving in an out of hyperspace, HSIs can detect and sometimes tap into hyperradio transmissions (such as those sent by HoloNet or subspace radio.*)

*Emphasis Mine.

The implication here is that subspace radios, despite the name, actually transmit in hyperspace, or in some manner linked to it.

Just putting it out there.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extrapolating from the Wookieepedia entry on subspace, it might mean it bleeds into hyperspace similarly to how gravity from realspace bleeds into hyperspace. Perhaps not outright stated, but as far as I can tell subspace is FTL communications - and it is omnidirectional (subspace radio, yo) rather than point-to-point.

Perhaps it is analogous to the connection between a magnetic field and electric field - one is perpendicular to the other, but in this case there's a bleed, echo, or trace in hyperspace.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracken's Field Guide specifically mentions vessels in hyperspace intersecting the Holonet's S-Thread Matrix, so I'd say we have our evidence right there. Page 62 if anyone's interested.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Cracken's Field Guide specifically mentions vessels in hyperspace intersecting the Holonet's S-Thread Matrix, so I'd say we have our evidence right there. Page 62 if anyone's interested.

IIRC, S-Threads were the carrier beams projected through hyperspace between the various HoloNet Relays, and that a ship had to be in hyperspace for the tracker to function, so I'm not seeing what that proves.

Besides, I've already got my explanation.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tracker provides a general direction while in hyperspace and gives a general location (within 1 parsec) in normal space. Just providing some RAW evidence supporting your excellent theory.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of a video I just watched about the US Navy using submarines to tap underwater phone lines inside Soviet territorial waters during the Cold War. The video jogged my memory of a particularly well done Star Wars fan fic where the Alliance used the electronic equivalent of this technique to "tap" an S-Thread of the Holo-Net that was being used to transmit highly classified data. To do so, they inserted a listening station into the path of the S-Thread, which then allowed them to copy any transmissions along that line (decoding them was another story, but I digress). Of course, the listening station also introduced a fractional nanosecond delay in the signal carrier, which allowed the Empire to eventually deduce the presence of an unwanted snooper and start to backtrace it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: