The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage Control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage Control Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Damage Control Reply with quote

In the films, its obvious that ships do perform damage control during combat, sometimes within the space of a round or so. R2D2 kept Luke's damaged X-Wing running during the Death Star run and Anakin ran repairs on his own pod racer during the race. However, all the repair skills give a time to use of 15 minutes, with the notation "may be customized to circumstances." I've never once had a combat run fifteen minutes in-universe; by that time, the battle is usually long done.

What rules do you use to allow ships to engage backup systems, reroute power, shut down leaking fuel lines or power cables, etc, to repair a ship's damaged systems in mid-combat?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those instances I would treat as patch repair. They work for the short term, but require double the time to properly repair later. First to take apart and undo any patch work, then to do the repair properly.

I could also see jury rigging being used to repair quickly.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allow characters to do jury-rigged repairs to try and get something working again on a temporary basis, until they get the chance to do full repairs.

My rule is that if a character attempts a makeshift repair, the difficulty is the same as a normal repair. This counts as an action. Compare the repair against the difficulty to see how long the makeshift repair holds up on the table below. Note that the times are approximate.

Beat difficulty by/Duration
0 = An Action
1-5 = A Round
6-10 = A Minute
11-15 = An Hour
16-20 = A Day
21-25 = A Week
26-30 = A Month
31+ = Heck! It's fixed!

A system can be jury-rigged multiple times, but each attempt increases the difficulty of the repair by a level. So if you don;t get it right quickly, or if you keep trying to fix the same system over and over it will shortly be beyond the ability to patch together, and will have to be repaired normally.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the jury-rigging idea, but based on the description of the X-Wing in the Star Wars Sourcebook, it seems that the ship is specifically designed to perform repairs in mid-flight. When a ship is specifically designed for that function, that seems to be beyond the scope of jury-rigging.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but when doing normal repairs in flight just use the normal repair rules.

I was thinking of your mention of ships doing repairs during combat, like how R2 kept fixing that broken stabilizer.

But you might make some ships easier or more difficult to repair. Ships with lots of access hatches could have lower difficulties, while ones that cram the navicomp behind the power core, might be more difficult.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

I was thinking of your mention of ships doing repairs during combat, like how R2 kept fixing that broken stabilizer.

So was I, in that normal repair skills require a minimum of 15 minutes to use, yet repairs seem to happen much more quickly than that in-game. Maybe its just the terminology I'm hanging up on, as jury-rigging generally implies something patched together using whatever is available, regardless of the actual intended use, whereas the X-Wing is specifically designed to be able to affect repairs in flight.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

So was I, in that normal repair skills require a minimum of 15 minutes to use, yet repairs seem to happen much more quickly than that in-game. Maybe its just the terminology I'm hanging up on, as jury-rigging generally implies something patched together using whatever is available, regardless of the actual intended use, whereas the X-Wing is specifically designed to be able to affect repairs in flight.

Yeah, terminology. I'm using jury-rig to refer to quick repairs that get something working, ASAP, but aren't exactly done the "correct" way, and probably aren't as durable. For example, twisting two ends of a broken wire together instead of replacing a broken switch. Perhaps another name would work better? How about Temporary Repairs, Hasty Repairs or Damage Control?

I thing the X-Wing's design probably merits a reduction of the difficulty for repair attempts.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where i saw it, but i could have sworn repair rolls went on an increasing bases off of a #2.. First roll 2 rounds, 2nd roll 2 minutes. 3rd roll 2 hours. 4th roll 2 days.. and so on.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the repairs skills, the time taken lists: 15 minutes, then one hour, then one day, then two days. May be customized by circumstances.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increase repair difficulty for quicker use would be the easiest way. Introduce another step (2 rounds to 15 minutes, +1 Level of Difficulty).

I like the idea earlier about a quick repair not being permanent.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tile title of this thread says it all DAMAGE CONTROL. I think I see a new technical skill or specializarltion of a repair skill. Damage Control is best used to circumvent damaged systems, not repair damaged systems. And a Damage Control skill roll is the way I would go durning combat. This would be the in universe effect of rerouting power to get the shields back up as your trying to run a Trade Federation blockade escsping Naboo.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I think tile title of this thread says it all DAMAGE CONTROL. I think I see a new technical skill or specializarltion of a repair skill. Damage Control is best used to circumvent damaged systems, not repair damaged systems. And a Damage Control skill roll is the way I would go durning combat. This would be the in universe effect of rerouting power to get the shields back up as your trying to run a Trade Federation blockade escsping Naboo.

I vote specialization of repair skill. That saves us the trouble of having to update all the astromech writeups!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I vote specialization of repair skill. That saves us the trouble of having to update all the astromech writeups!

Agreed. My rationalization is that any sort of damage control roll is going to require knowing how to repair them regardless of the circumstances.

A damage control rule actually creates another position on the ship for characters in combat, as a character with a high Tech can make rolls to keep the ship up and running...

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that s specialization is a good way to go, who would it look.

Starfighter Repair: X-wing
Starfighter Repair: Damage Control

or

Starfighter Repair: X-wing-Damage Control

I think I would go with Starfighter Repair: Damage Control. Like internal combustion engines are mostly alike (like a three cylinder '79 Honda civic and a 12 cylinder CAT generator that is that size of the civic) I would think that the basic Damage Control specialization would work in most situations and on most ships. Of course there would be Capital Starship Repair: Damage Control, and Space Transport Repair: Damage Control.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Starfighter Repair: Damage Control would be a better choice, as it would allow the character to perform damage control on any starfighter, not just X-Wings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: