The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage Control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage Control Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO how's about this for a first run at making a 'furthering' damage level rule..

Combat is harsh, vehicles can shake apart, fires can spread, hull decompressions can leak to sealed compartments.

When a vehicle, starship or capital ship has sustained a heavy or severe damage level, there is a chance each round that damage on the vehicle can spread.
At heavily damage, roll 3d6 as if at mortally wounded (character level damage), you have to get less than the # of rounds your ship has been heavily damaged to 'worsen'.
At severely damage, its down to 2d6 and the damage worsens/spreads if you equal or get less than the # of rounds at that damage level.

A ship is considered to have 3 areas for fighters (hull, engines/power, and cockpit), 5-6 for freighters (bunks, storage/cargo bays) and 2 areas + 1/hull D of the ship for caps.
If the initial damage is heavy, one area is hit. If it spreads, it adds 1 additional area being affected by that level of damage.
If the initial damage is severe, 2 areas are affected, +1 per failure on the spreading roll.

A ship's crew Can attempt to combat this with damage control repairs, which are makeshift repairs (being normal repairs take a min of 15 min by the rules, DC repairs can be attempted in 3 round increments). If a DC roll (moderate for heavily damage, or Difficult for severe damage), can halt the spread of that damage. 2 straight successes on the DC repair roll actually retards the damage (though the ship still has it until fully repaired).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be that damage control is a temporary repair that shifts the Time to Use down a level. A Lightly Damaged result that would normally take at least 15 minutes to repair now takes only 1D rounds, with the possibility of it popping back up again if the ship takes more damage...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's my thinking...

Damage Control

Time to Use: 1D rounds for Lightly Damaged, 1D minutes for Heavily Damaged (Severe Damage is too extensive for temporary repairs)

Difficulty: The base difficulty of the repair as defined in the rulebook, modified by the damage level (+5 for Lightly Damaged, +10 for Heavily Damaged), with an additional penalty of +5 for each additional damage result.

Effect: A successful Damage Control roll allows a ship to continue functioning as though it is undamaged (although the damage is still present and must be repaired as normal later). When rolling Technical skills for Damage Control purposes, compare the skill roll to the following chart:
    Skill Roll = Result
    Success by 10+ = Repair holds long enough for the remainder of the combat, plus an additional 1D hours (plus 1 hour for every 5 points by which the Repair roll was over the +10 threshold).
    Success by <10 = Repair holds, but roll 1D per round. On a 1, the temporary patch fails, and the repair must be reattempted at the same difficulty (unless other damage has been inflicted).
    Failure by <10 = Repair fails. Character may reattempt, but must re-roll for a new Time to Use result.
    Failure by 10+ = Repair fails catastrophically. Damage is increased by 1 level (i.e. from Lightly Damaged to Heavily Damaged, or from Heavily Damaged to Severe)
Additional Damage: If a ship that has been successfully repaired using the Damage Control rule is struck again, there is the potential that the previous damage control will fail. If the Damage roll gets a Wild Dice result, the previous damage control is removed and must be repatched at increased difficulty.

Note: This rule is in no way intended to replace standard Repair rolls. It is just intended to get the ship out of its current predicament and give the crew enough breathing room to find a quiet spot to perform regular repairs.

EDIT: Amended the Success +10 result per jmanski's suggestion.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about another success level, say, 20+, something along the lines of "Repair holds out for combat plus a few additional hours". This way a good technical person can buy some more time. This also would allow a technician to perhaps overlook a good Damage Control and it could unravel later.... Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks decent.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
What about another success level, say, 20+, something along the lines of "Repair holds out for combat plus a few additional hours". This way a good technical person can buy some more time. This also would allow a technician to perhaps overlook a good Damage Control and it could unravel later.... Twisted Evil

This is what I was trying to go for with my 10+ result, but you worded it better than me. I'd say "holds for the rest of the combat plus 1D6 hours, plus 1 hour for every additional 5 points above 10."

Changed the above rule to reflect your suggestion.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that better
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on the idea of ships having a Damage Control rating, which can be added to the engineer's Repair rolls. Rather than basing it off of the ship's Hull dice, I'm thinking of basing it simply on general classification, such that a basic commercial ship would have a 1D, a basic military ship or more advanced commercial ship would have a 2D, an advanced military ship would have a 3D, and any vessels whose description specifically mentions that they are designed to be more durable or have more advanced damage control capabilities (like the MC80 cruiser with its multiple backup systems) would receive a +1D bonus. Conversely, ships like the Strike Cruiser, which is stated as having some issues regarding vulnerability, might receive a -1D penalty.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as damage potentially worsening, I would probably just say that if a Heavily or Severely Damaged ship gets a Wild Dice failure on any maneuver or damage roll, the pre-existing damage increases one step (either from Heavily Damaged to Severely Damaged or from Severely Damaged to Destroyed).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I'm still working on the idea of ships having a Damage Control rating, which can be added to the engineer's Repair rolls. Rather than basing it off of the ship's Hull dice, I'm thinking of basing it simply on general classification, such that a basic commercial ship would have a 1D, a basic military ship or more advanced commercial ship would have a 2D, an advanced military ship would have a 3D, and any vessels whose description specifically mentions that they are designed to be more durable or have more advanced damage control capabilities (like the MC80 cruiser with its multiple backup systems) would receive a +1D bonus. Conversely, ships like the Strike Cruiser, which is stated as having some issues regarding vulnerability, might receive a -1D penalty.

Shouldn't that be based more on Crew than hull or ship type?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Shouldn't that be based more on Crew than hull or ship type?

Crew can be coordinated to provide additional bonuses to the Repair roll, but ships can also be equipped with systems that improve their ability to control damage. The MC80 cruiser, for instance, is equipped with multiple redundant backup systems, so if one of them is damaged, you just flip to one of the others, rather than making hasty repairs to the primary piece of equipment.

EDIT: The real question would be what percentage of the crew would be available to coordinate on Damage Control while a ship is in combat...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say based on my naval experience, that on average 5-10% of the crew is assigned to DC positions on a ship. So for SW, if it is at skeleton manning level, none of them are filled as the bodies are too busy elsewhere.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I would say based on my naval experience, that on average 5-10% of the crew is assigned to DC positions on a ship. So for SW, if it is at skeleton manning level, none of them are filled as the bodies are too busy elsewhere.

Does that include being at battle stations? I would think that even a ship fully manned would have half the crew off duty at any given time, so that during combat, you'd have the half of the crew that wasn't on duty available to assist in damage control.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first carrier, battle stations meant every spot was manned. DC accounted for iirc around 15% of those spots manned during those times.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On my first carrier, battle stations meant every spot was manned. DC accounted for iirc around 15% of those spots manned during those times.

It'd be nice to see ship crew numbers in the WEG stats broken down into something more usable, like the number of crew who can coordinate on repairs or other activities. I know in Battlefleet Gothic, a ship's point value (8 for Cruisers, 12 for Battleships, etc) is a measurement of what percentage of the crew can get killed off by battle damage as opposed to a measurement of structural strength (they use critical hit tables for ship system damage). I tried something like that a while back but it kinda fell by the wayside.

Ideally, I'd like to see something along the lines of a certain percentage of crew casualties equaling an increase in the difficulty of all rolls. Of course, anything too complicated quickly becomes a tracking nightmare...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: