The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Sight and Miraluka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Sight and Miraluka Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Force Sight and Miraluka Reply with quote

I'm posting this here as the previous discussion on this topic (starting on p. 4 here) was off-topic for the thread it was in.

'House Rules' might not be the best category for this, but being as there isn't a ton defined for this Force ability, it allows us to explore and expand with any new ideas.

To continue the discussion, the talk of color blindness reminds me of something in The Hangover III, which I saw just a few days ago. In it, two characters are trying to disable a house's security system, and to do so, they both have to cut the wires in small panels at the exact same time. One character easily locates the red wire, and the other says that there's light gray, medium gray, and dark gray. Of course, the other quickly discovers he's color blind and is forced to crawl over and show him which is which.

It ended up highlighting one of the problems that could result from being color blind. As I discussed this with one of my players recently, I pointed out that even a warning light on the dash of an unfamiliar ship could be problematic for somebody who can't distinguish color.

From what's written about Miraluka, I don't think they're meant to be severely handicapped. I think the Force ends up compensating for the most part. Our PC is only Force Sensitive, so doesn't have a Sense skill. One of my players suggested that perhaps he should just make a Perception roll (he suggested 1/2 PER, but I think it should probably be full) anytime the issue came up. The quality of his roll would then dictate what he could perceive.

And in the SWU there doesn't seem to be a ton of paperwork/books. Most "modern" information seems to be in the form of datapads and the like.

I will also note that - when a Miraluka runs into an area where the Force is dampened in any way - they would be completely blind, which hinders those (that aren't used to it) far more than most of us probably understand.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying over from the other conversation...
atgxtg wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
If Force Sight were strictly a Miraluka trait, I might agree, but since Force Sight is described as a general Force power, of which Miraluka are particularly adept, the implication then becomes that the limitation is in the Force, not a particular species of user.

But the description of the power specfically states that:
Wookieepedia wrote:
The Miraluka relied on this power constantly to compensate for their physical blindness. They could not perceive colors but could distinguish organics (even dead) and their alignment from the surrounding environment by their characteristic aura.

So the description implies that the Miraluka couldn't perceive colors-not that it was a limitation of the power.

And if Force Sight had stayed a strictly Miralukan ability, that would be acceptable. Unfortunately, Force Sight is now considered to be a general Force Power, so that non-Miralukan's may learn it. If the power were something like Nightvision or Darkvision from D&D, I could see the restriction against seeing colors, as the physical nature of the vision would prevent it. However, since the basis of this power is the Force, not physical senses, it makes little sense to me that the Force is incapable of conveying what color something is to a user of this power.

My version of this power would be graduated levels of difficulty, something like
    Very Easy - Has basic monochromatic sight (no colors) out to 20 meters. -1D to Perception rolls, -2D out to 30 meters, and -4D beyond 30 meters.
    Easy - Sees in normal, full color vision. No penalties or bonuses
    Moderate - Can perceive a Force users aura, allowing them to perceive details (i.e. can perceive the character's Force Attribute value, as well as number of DSPs and whether or not the character has fallen to the Dark Side).
    Difficult - Solid objects become translucent, allowing the character to see what is behind them at -2D Perception.
    Very Difficult - Solid objects become completely translucent, allowing the character to ignore all cover when making Search or Perception rolls to spot hidden objects.
I would tie this to the Force Attribute, giving Miralukans a 1D/3D Force Attribute, but then allow them to improve Force Sight as if it were a Skill Specialization, even if they did not have the Sense skill. I would also consider Miralukans to be sufficiently adept at this power that their difficulty to use it is reduced by one level, so that all Miralukans automatically succeed at seeing the most basic level.

On a related note, a while back I proposed the idea of using the Lensors from the Chronicles of Riddick as Force Hounds to help Jedi-Hunter stormtrooper teams track down Jedi. A suggestion that I liked is that the Emperor would arrest political dissident Miralukans and perform medical experiments on them to turn them into little more than walking sensor platforms used to detect Jedi, with neural splices connected to a readout that would allow the stormtroopers to see what the Lensor sees.

A similar suggestion was that the Emperor could also coerce Miralukans into serving as the Emperor's Eyes, using their vision to seek out Force Sensitives. Not all of them would have to be coerced into service, of course (this is potentially where Jerec got his start).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Sight and Miraluka Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I will also note that - when a Miraluka runs into an area where the Force is dampened in any way - they would be completely blind, which hinders those (that aren't used to it) far more than most of us probably understand.

The penalty under the RAW for being in complete darkness is -4D. How that would be applied would be up to the GM...

Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't make force seeing effect depend on Sense roll. This power could just provide an additional sense with some special features (translucent objects, seeing trough walls, no colors in traditional meaning), but otherwise functioning like a normal sight (e.g. no ability to read both sides of paper without flipping). In some situations (where colors are important) user may have difficulty raised by one level (or require Easy PER roll). PER and Search could be still used to notice something as normal (but of course force sight user can see enemy behind the wall etc.).
And maybe, Sense roll could replace Search rolls (if user wanted).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Force Sight; they are seeing through the Force, ergo, it is Force based, and thus dependent on Sense (or their Force Attribute, if you choose that route). Perception rolls are geared more toward what a person processes from what their senses tell them.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again guys you are making this entirely too difficult. Their blindness is only cinematic. They "see" through the Force. All this does is allow them to see, negating the blindness penalty. Done and over.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Again guys you are making this entirely too difficult. Their blindness is only cinematic. They "see" through the Force. All this does is allow them to see, negating the blindness penalty. Done and over.

This was my original thought as well, but apparently the definition of what that Force Sight entails has expanded and evolved, thanks to the EU.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that my friend who I was discussing this with (not the one playing the Miralukan, and who is familiar with the Saga version of the game) pointed out that in Saga using it takes a minor action (I believe). In other words, it doesn't take the character's entire turn, but it requires them to actually concentrate (and take a moment), perhaps to see beyond what is obvious to anyone. So maybe they "see" (with the Force) what the rest of us do, but to perceive anything beyond that might take an action (and a use of PER or Sense).

This thread gives some thoughts about how they work in Saga. Somebody posted their stats for that game:

Miraluka
Ability Modifiers: -2 dex, +2 int
Medium Size
Speed: 6 squares
Intuitive Initiative: A Miraluka may choose to reroll any initiative check, but the result of the reroll must be accepted even if it is worse.
Impairment: Miraluka do not have functional eyes. If they have eyes at all, they are vestigial white orbs. They are physically blind, giving everything concealment against them.
Bonus Feat: Force Sensitive
Bonus Force Technique: Improved Sense Surroundings - Miraluka actually see through the force. They may use Sense Surroundings (which allows a force user to ignore concealment) as a free action rather than as a swift action. (which essentially negates their blindness.)

I think this other thread is also Saga, where someone posted a Miraluka as:

MIRALUKA SPECIES TRAITS
All Miraluka have the following species traits.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity. Miraluka have keen minds, but their reliance on the Force to perceive their surroundings prevents them from reacting quickly.
Medium Size: As Medium creatures, Miraluka have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Miraluka base speed is 6 squares.
Force Sight: Although blind, Miraluka can "see" through the Force. They act normally without taking any penalties for blindness. This trait enables them to make Perception checks, and read and write as a sighted person. They can, however, ignore the effects of darkness as if they had darkvision. Miraluka cannot, however, detect creatures that are "invisible" to the Force such as the Yuuzhan Vong and the ysalamiri (page 131). These creatures have total concealment from Miraluka, as do creatures in areas that dampen or suppress the Force.
Conditional Bonus Feat: A Miraluka who has Use the Force as a trained skill gains Force Training as a bonus feat.
Automatic Languages: Basic and Miralukese.

Looking at my D20 book for Alien Species, it gives them the following abilities:

Quick Reaction: Despite their general lack of coordination, a Miraluka's reaction speed is superior to that of most other species. Miraluka gain a +2 species bonus on initiative checks.

Force Sight: Miraluka are blind to all wavelengths of light. However, their ability to see through the Force allows them to sense their surroundings as though they could see normally, allowing them to attack and make skill checks without suffering penalties for blindness.
Using Force sight is a free action and costs a Miraluka no vitality points.
Bonus Feats: Miraluka gain the bonus feat Force-Sensitive. A Miraluka who takes his or her first level in a Force-using class (Force adept, Jedi Consular, or Jedi guardian) also gains the feat Sense.

Discussing this in the D20 game, there's this interesting thread, where some contend that the Wookieepedia entry is wrong about Miraluka, and this one that considers how close their Force Sight is to x-ray vision.
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that Miraluka's Force Sight is something entirely different than a normal use of the Force Sight power or perhaps a refined version of that power if you want to lump them together.

It would be a racial trait rather than a power in terms of the game, like in Saga.

The more interesting fact is that this means if a player chooses to play as a Miraluka, by default he'd be force sensitive.

As for for that means in game terms, I'd use their perception skill for sight based checked like all other players. Getting to complicated only bogs down the game.

Last edited by Assuran on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate that the player of our Miraluka chose to be Force Sensitive (only a few of my PCs are).

I'm leaning towards doing things the way I've done them, though this discussion has made me think about the issue in much more depth. As far as the racial trait, I simply went with what the D6 Holocron entry has:

Special Abilities:
Force Sight: The Miraluka rely on their ability to perceive their surroundings by sensing the slight Force vibrations emanated from all objects. In any location where the Force is in some way cloaked, the Miraluka are effectively blind.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is less actual "sight" than it is more like Daredevil's radar sense.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as there is no fluff text saying that the species has additional sight benefits beyond just "seeing" I wouldn't give them additional benefits. Explain it how you will and how you will, but its nothing more than flavor. They see like everyone else does UNLESS cut off from the Force or the item viewed would be "outside" the Force.

I would explain the site away as a very quick precognition, allowing them to see a couple of nano seconds into the future. I would not allow seeing in the dark, whether black and white or color really doesn't matter beyond "flavor".

I also agree that the species would have to be Force sensitive. I do not think they should get bonuses to learning Force skills. If so they would be a main part of the Jedi Order and they are not. There is something else that makes a Jedi special beyond just an affinity to the Force.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Well as there is no fluff text saying that the species has additional sight benefits beyond just "seeing" I wouldn't give them additional benefits. Explain it how you will and how you will, but its nothing more than flavor. They see like everyone else does UNLESS cut off from the Force or the item viewed would be "outside" the Force.

The original description in the TOTJ Companion specifically states that the Miralukans "see" by sensing Force vibrations emanated from all objects. That sounds like more than just replacement sight to me. I originally thought it was just replacement sight too, but the more it is delved into, the more convinced I become that it is something more. Yes, there is nothing that officially states that Miralukans can see through walls or see the Force potential of others, but what the Force Sight ability has evolved into could certainly be considered a logical extrapolation of what it means to be able to sense the Force of inanimate objects.

But yes, if they were dealing with Yuuzhan Vong or Ysalamiri, Miralukans would be at an extreme disadvantage.

Quote:
I would explain the site away as a very quick precognition, allowing them to see a couple of nano seconds into the future. I would not allow seeing in the dark, whether black and white or color really doesn't matter beyond "flavor".

But the source of the Miralukan "sight" will not be affected by whether or not the lights have been turned off.

Quote:
I also agree that the species would have to be Force sensitive. I do not think they should get bonuses to learning Force skills. If so they would be a main part of the Jedi Order and they are not. There is something else that makes a Jedi special beyond just an affinity to the Force.

The cultural description of Miraluka identify them as being somewhat reclusive, in that few ever leave their homeworld, as they are "content with their peaceful lives, and have no desire to disrupt that equilibrium."

In addition, as the prequel-era EU has shown, being Force Sensitive is not an automatic open door to becoming a Jedi Knight, as many potential candidates ended up being shunted aside into the various service corps.

Under the Force Attribute proposition, characters with a Force of 1D would still be Force Sensitive, but not strongly so, with only characters of 3D or higher having sufficient connection to become Jedi Knights under the Old Republic system. As such, an entire species could be Force Sensitive (at 1D) and still not be candidates for joining the Jedi Order.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

As they are written with the various EU materials, your above summation would not be an accurate representation of this race's abilities.

According to the info out there, darkness would not affect them, they don't seem to "see into the future" (even a couple of nanoseconds), and they appear to have been a big part of the Jedi Order (though there are not a ton of them).

Not that any of us have to incorporate this stuff, which admittedly is not stuff from the movies (or the highest level of canon). But for representing what is known of this species, your above descriptions are not at all accurate.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, long chain of links got me to this topic.

Shadowrun's astral perception ability has good guidelines for something like this, with some tweaks.

The difference is astral is based off of emotion.

Force is based off life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: