The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Preferred Combat Rules: 1E, 2E, 2R&E or House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Preferred Combat Rules: 1E, 2E, 2R&E or House Rules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Preferred Combat Rules: 1E, 2E, 2R&E or House Rules Reply with quote

As part of a larger project, a few of us are looking at what set of rules best represents starfighter vs. capital ship combat, specifically scale, coordination methods and bonuses, precision ship location targeting, etc. I've reached the point where I use my own house rules for scale and coordination, but I'd like to hear some input on what the rest of you think are the best rules to use, and why.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly 2nd R&E with various house rules used and changed over the years.

Have changed the scale rules recently and have used the optional targeting rules before , coordination hasn't been a big factor in most games, as massed fighter strikes tend to get shunted to cut away scenes and the game focus on the players attacks, which are normally pin point to hit vital targets.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like wildfire, I mainly use 2R&E with a few house rules. Coordination is one I'm planning on changing (plan to discuss it next session) and we just started using crmcneill's new scale rules (though I figure you should probably use RAW for others, being as it will make things the most accessible).

I haven't done large scale battles with capital ships yet, though I have seen it done in a different campaign. Like wildfire, the action for the PCs tended to focus on what they were doing, with the GM narrating what happened elsewhere (rather than rolling a bunch for NPCs).
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Crmcneill knows, I'm not particularly well-read into the different rulesets, but I'm interested in the rationales you choose when choosing what rules to go with. I can see three logics:

1) The rules that are the easiest
2) The rules that are the most realistic
3) The rules that are happen to be in the book you have/use.

Which best characterizes your reason for your decision to use the rules you use?
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3) they are in the book I have, 2nd R&E also it the book most of my players have/had access to, saves explaining rules too often during games.

My house rules get written up and passed round each session for reference.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part I just go with 2R&E, but my house rules is worth a page or two of additional/supplemental rules.

I have them printed out and at the table (for my use, as well as any player that wants to see them), and they're also listed on our webpage.

I don't do house rules because it's easier, most realistic, or that simply happen to be the ones I have access to. I/we do rules changes to tighten up or fix problems we see in the game, to make things more streamlined and consistent, or to better model the world(s) of the franchise.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll I went from 2E to 2R&E a few years back, when I discovered R&E existed. Then I houseruled a few things. Now I'm finding that there are a few rules from 2E (segmented movement in in space/vehicle combat, the ability to attack while going all-out, the old combined fire rules), 1E (haste, targeted attacks, capital ship battle rules, no templates, simpler Force rules, the old combined fire rules ), and even stuff from Star Warriors (pretty much the entire thing- it's better at space combat than the RPG rules) that I miss.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the scale of 2e revised is quicker to use, but the base 2e ones were more 'balanced'.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO the scale of 2e revised is quicker to use, but the base 2e ones were more 'balanced'.

I urged CM to start this thread as part of our overall conversation about the balance between starfighters and capital ships. When you say 'balanced' that implies a certain kind of balance. Could you expand on the subject of what the proper balance is?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Frankly I've been considering adopting D6 Space's scale system. Rather than added dice each vehicle gets a scale number. Modifiers are the difference between scales. For instance a scale 10 speeder firing at a scale 20 starfighter would add 10 to hit, but the fighter would add 10 to soak.

One of the nice things about this method is that it address some of the issues we've been having over the years. For instance the large size and mass of the AT-AT would up it's Scale number to something comparable to a starfighter.

And it would be easily to scale up the SSD to reflect the change in length.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I urged CM to start this thread as part of our overall conversation about the balance between starfighters and capital ships. When you say 'balanced' that implies a certain kind of balance. Could you expand on the subject of what the proper balance is?

Sure. Rather than rolling lots more dice, which can tend to overbear the results, your rolls are as is, but are capped at a certain #. So say a walker (5d+2 gunnery, 3d+2 fire control for 8d+4 total to hit) shoots a PC, who has a 9d+2 dodge. With the R&E rules, the pc would be rolling 13d+2, giving him a theoretical max (no 6 on the wild die) of 79, while the walker has a max of 51. In the reg manner the PC just rolls his 9d+2 (55 max) but the walker's to hit gets capped iirc at 4 per die max, giving him a 33 potential roll.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Frankly I've been considering adopting D6 Space's scale system. Rather than added dice each vehicle gets a scale number. Modifiers are the difference between scales. For instance a scale 10 speeder firing at a scale 20 starfighter would add 10 to hit, but the fighter would add 10 to soak.

One of the nice things about this method is that it address some of the issues we've been having over the years. For instance the large size and mass of the AT-AT would up it's Scale number to something comparable to a starfighter.

And it would be easily to scale up the SSD to reflect the change in length.

So it's based on size? Interesting...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only reservation on the scale modifier is that it seems to negate the idea of stat variations entirely. Why bother giving differing Hull and Shield strengths when you can just give everything a 1D, then assign an appropriate modifier?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
My only reservation on the scale modifier is that it seems to negate the idea of stat variations entirely. Why bother giving differing Hull and Shield strengths when you can just give everything a 1D, then assign an appropriate modifier?

It didn't negate stat variations at all. You can have something that is small and tough or large and fragile. A 300m cruiser and a 300m bulk freighter are very differernt even if they end up with the same Scale number. Plus scale affected other things (i.e.dodging) besides soaking damage.

Ultimately what is does is turn the half dozen scales in the RAW to a more gradual increase of 40+ scales.

Last edited by atgxtg on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

So it's based on size? Interesting...

Actually is't based on tonnage, but I recall coming up with a fudge factor based on length that match up pretty well with the Die Scaling from 2R&E. I think an X-Wing was Scale 20, a TIE/ln was Scale 18, and ISB Scale 40 ish.

One of the benefits was that freighters were larger than starfighters and so ended up being slightly tougher but less maneuverable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: