The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Bureaucracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Imperial Bureaucracy Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Imperial Bureaucracy Reply with quote

So, the Imperial Sourcebook and Wookieepedia leave me a little confused. So, I want to use this thread as a place to get your input on what the structure of the Imperial regime is, when I can't make up my own mind, or am just interested in getting more views.

Moffs and Grand Moffs.

So, do Moffs all answer to Grand Moffs, or are Grand Moffs just Moffs who have more resources and may govern a larger/wealthier/more dangerous domain? I'm seeing examples of both interpretations.

Yes, I understand that the Emperor kept things a certain way in order to keep people on edge, but I thought that this manifested itself in overlapping authorities, rather than just confusing titles.

(I'll have more questions like this, later on.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it goes
Planet moff
System moff
Sector moff
Grand moff
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO it goes
Planet moff
System moff
Sector moff
Grand moff

Rgr & thanks.

Now, how many sectors will be under a Grand moff (in general) &/or how many Grand Moff's are there?

Also, and this makes me sound like a complete nob .... but, what does moff mean. I realize it is a governor like position, but why call them Moffs and not Governors (or Rector or some other historic title of the same rank) ?

Forget that question. I had a chance last night to research it sooooo have answered it ...

Forgive all spelling errors.

Last edited by lurker on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO it goes
Planet moff
System moff
Sector moff
Grand moff

In your opinion, or to your knowledge? (both are fine, but I'd like to know.)

The three ranks that I know of are
* Grand Moff (Oversector or Priority Sector)
* Moff (Sector)
* Planetary Governor (which I conceive of as being for 'systems', despite the name - because most systems will only have one habitable planet).

Grand Moff Tarkin was in charge of Oversector Outer, which included (roughly) the whole (or most of) the Outer Rim... which is a very large amount of sectors. I assume that he had a series of Moffs under him to govern the sectors within the Outer Rim.

However, he's the only Grand Moff of whom I've heard who had such an expansive territory to govern. Also, Alderaan was not exactly within his jurisdiction, if he was the Grand Moff of the Outer Rim.

Last edited by Mikael Hasselstein on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion. Planetary moff's also are known as governors. System moffs are for when a star system has more than one inhabited planet, and are never called governors. Grand moffs usually to me are in charge of 5 OR MORE sectors.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read, Grand Moffs are only appointed to sectors with exceptional importance or greater risk of rebellion.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Moff Tarkin was in charge of the Outer Rim. The entire Outer Rim. Granted, he was probably the Grand Moff in charge of the largest territory and ruled probably over a quarter of the Empire by volume, though not by population.

There is a reason Grand Moff Tarkin is the only person besides the Emperor that we ever see Vader take an order from. GMT is also the only Imperial Vader treats as an equal.

Personally I doubt there were even a dozen Grand Moffs. They were the ones who answered directly to the Emperor.

In most star systems there is only one inhabited planet, so the system Moff is the planet Moff. (Corellia is an obvious exception with FIVE heavily populated systems)
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
There is a reason Grand Moff Tarkin is the only person besides the Emperor that we ever see Vader take an order from. GMT is also the only Imperial Vader treats as an equal.

What also strikes me as little bizarre is how a mere Admiral (Motti) has the guff to mouth off to Vader in ANH, given that Vader was the Supreme Commander. We learn elsewhere that Motti and Tarkin were in-laws... so... I don't know.

Incidentally:
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE IT Laughing

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emperor demonized the Jedi. Vader is the last one with their powers.

Nice pull from PvPonline
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
The Emperor demonized the Jedi. Vader is the last one with their powers.

Nice pull from PvPonline

Thanks.

But still, if he's above you in the chain of command... and he's got a frightful reputation, are you going to mouth off like that?

I'm guessing that at the time of the Battle of Yavin, Vader had much less of a profile and had (perhaps?) not yet been given the Supreme Commander title.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had been nearly twenty years with no real threat, the Jedi wiped out and no external threat. Motti had probably never seen Vader in action and believed the Jedi to be charlatans.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
It had been nearly twenty years with no real threat, the Jedi wiped out and no external threat. Motti had probably never seen Vader in action and believed the Jedi to be charlatans.

Sure - yes - fine - but I'm asking a question about the chain of command.

If you were a Rear Admiral in the US Navy, would you mouth off to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, even if the CJCS was known to be a Voodoo practitioner?

I'm not trying to make the case that Motti was an idiot. I also know that George Lucas had a story-telling purpose for the scene. I'm just trying to figure out if
A) Vader was not generally known to be the Supreme Commander (in which case maybe the EU has it wrong?)
B) Motti being under the authority of Tarkin was somehow immune to Vader's authority
C) all of the above
D) none of the above.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think Motti suffered from a bad case of CRS (cant remember squat) and had a WTF moment right before Tarkin yanked on Vaders leash and made him let go.

Motti was old enough to remember the Jedi before the purge and I think it was a case of moving at the speed of plot that the briefing room scene was scripted that way.

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would if he starts spouting off about voodoo in a high level meeting, making a mocking claim that the atomic bomb is nothing compared to the power of voodoo.

In this particular situation, for ten thousand years my nation had placed its faith in the hands of a bunch of voodoo priests and when we finally face our first war against a viable threat the voodoo priests fail to get the job done, proving themselves to be utter frauds.

And yes, in movie cannon the Clone War was the first war the Republic had faced in ten thousand years. Sio Bibble tells us that in TPM.

Motti didn't just mouth off, he was making a point. He had a list of failures that resulted in Vader's faith in voodoo. I've seen high level executives do much the same thing. Remember, he wasn't criticizing Vader publicly. Everyone in that room was a high level military or political figure. This was a meeting behind closed doors where they had been given the news that the Emperor had disbanded the Imperial Senate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: