The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

'Deadliest Catch' SW style
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> 'Deadliest Catch' SW style Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you just go ahead and create an item or creature that is space faring and a wanted commodity. Yes it could be mining as well. Hell it could be both. Toss in some navigational hazards based on a certain astrographical area and you got the show.

Hell make them a space lobster that is only found in a certain asteroid field that is pretty vast and toss in navigational hazards like magnetic eddies or solar storms.

Hell this would be easy peasy to make for SWD6. Just takes a little imagination is all. C'mon people. Think outside the box, be creative. Get rid of them real world notions and think fun and pulpy. I know everyone can do it!
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item = Dark Matter. Used to power starships.

Navigational Hazard = Dark Matter is detectable in realspace only by its effect on other matter, such as nebulae, gas clouds, stellar coronal effects, etc. As such, all detectable forms of dark matter will be in locations that are hazardous to operate.

And there is nothing wrong with using real world notions in a space opera setting. Too pulpy = too silly to take seriously, AFAIAC.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
And there is nothing wrong with using real world notions in a space opera setting. Too pulpy = too silly to take seriously, AFAIAC.

Didn't say there was, but its also incredibly silly to think that people are going to equate hard science with a pulp setting. Its pulp not Traveler. The setting is Star Wars, not 2001 a Space Odyssey. I only mentioned that people not get into a twist over real work science and mechanics in a pulp setting, not to ignore them.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an example of science fiction writers not having a sense of scale.

Nebula densities are ~ 10-1000 particles per cubic centimeter.
To give you an idea of scale, air has a particle density of 10^19 particles per cubic centimeter. (so 16-18 orders of magnitude more dense)

They only look opaque/dense because they can be light years across and emit their own light through fluorescence (pumped by nearby stars).

At those densities, only if the substance was truly not available anywhere else through any other means would a nebula be a valid source.

As for dangerous jobs:
Salvager on Raxus Prime?
Lava scooper on Mustafaar?
Dancer for Jabba the Hutt?
Kolto farmer on Manaan?
Biologist investigating the shadowlands of Kashyyykk

And here we get into all sorts of nitty-gritty arguments about the functioning of shields, lasers, hyperspace transit, etc.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a blurb in 1st Sourcebook about harvesting space slugs for valuable materials?
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for all the ideas.

I hate to admit it, but despite the show being about catching annoying ugly filter feeding creatures, I never thought about having the SW version be about catching annoying ugly parasite/filter feeding creatures ... My logical mind turns off at the thought of there being things alive and thriving in the vacuum of space. Despite the fact that they are in the movies ...

I really like the idea from Mojo and harvesting a specific species of Mynocks or Space Slugs' eggs (or the critters themselves) &/or SWR's 'space crabs' from in and around derelict space junk be a valuable and exotic food commodity. I could see 'fisher' captains hiding some old dead ships in a back water asteroid belt or nebula, then importing some of those eggs to start his own school of the little buggers. Of course make it illegal to transport the parasite's eggs - for the purpose of spreading the parasites, and/or the local system unhappy about the parasites spreading into their system and you can have some real fun! Not only do you have to risk the dangers associated with flying in and around asteroids or nebula clouds, and then the dangers associated with harvesting the parasites, but also have the danger of having to dodge Imperial 'game & space life' agents, customs agents, and local security, or pay for (or bribe for) local 'fishing' license and permits.

Assuran, thanks for hanging the links. I'll have to look through them when I get home from work, maybe there is something even better hiding in them!

If you went with a chemical/elemental focus, then I more and more like the idea of dark matter, and have it be detectable and only in minable concentrations in and around nebulas etc etc etc.

You could even have both. That way there is the rivalry between the types of "fishers".

That will give a little more background to all those dive cantinas and bars that the players waste their time in. Plus, you can drop hints to them ... "I hear that the ... in the Redal system have gotten out of hand, be careful if you pass through there and be sure to check you ship" or "did you hear about the new DM find by the Bowlfin Nebula, The Imperials are tripling their patrols in the surrounding systems to keep the claim jumpers off the site."

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ideas here! One thought (and I got this idea from one of the GMs in our supers campaign, who did this when we had some space missions):

We had some adventures that had to do with dark matter, but we ran into these critters/creatures that phased in and out of our dimension. Going with the concept of hyperspace, if it were the source of dark matter, it would make perfect sense. So picture a miniature space slug (more man-sized) or an energy mynock, but that phased constantly between real space and hyperspace, so you couldn't just blast them with a blaster...
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about harvesting rare chemical compounds that are only found to be naturally occurring deep inside the atmosphere of gas giants? Or corusca gems http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corusca_gem . Dealing with sudden storms, crushing pressures, intense heat, radiation and magnetic fields, exotic predatory and or territorial lifeforms, and claim jumpers/hijackers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Wasn't there a blurb in 1st Sourcebook about harvesting space slugs for valuable materials?

Yes; it's in the 2E as well. It's on page 92, titled "A Slug Named Grendel." It's a play on the story of Moby Dick, which fits, as the description of space slugs has parallels to whaling, including slugs being environmentally protected from hunting in some systems (they keep the mynock population down).

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
What about harvesting rare chemical compounds that are only found to be naturally occurring deep inside the atmosphere of gas giants? Or corusca gems http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corusca_gem . Dealing with sudden storms, crushing pressures, intense heat, radiation and magnetic fields, exotic predatory and or territorial lifeforms, and claim jumpers/hijackers.

Corusa gem fisher ... I actually thought I had had an original creative idea with 'deadliest catch SW style'. I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short ... Confused

That said, we do have a lot of good ideas floating around here that can go side by side with it.

Quote:

Yes; it's in the 2E as well. It's on page 92, titled "A Slug Named Grendel." It's a play on the story of Moby Dick, which fits, as the description of space slugs has parallels to whaling, including slugs being environmentally protected from hunting in some systems (they keep the mynock population down).

Nice, again more proof I'm slow and not as original as I thought Laughing

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
There isn't really a direct parallel to Deadliest Catch, as there isn't much in the way of space-borne lifeforms that are common food products. The closest parallel would be harvesting them for some exotic mineral or such...

Are there not some space critters that get used for ships though? IIRC there is a type of giant wasp (already mentioned above) that gets its carcas used for a ship)> What of other types?

I could also see those gas giant gem divers, as i did that for a special mission (unfortunately my PC at the time died from complications that were linked)..
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok forget your giant space slugs, swat those vacuum wasps and toss out those gas giant formed gems, there are things in space to harvest FAR MORE VALUABLE!!!

http://io9.com/5911365/how-alcohol-is-formed-naturally-in-space
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Ok forget your giant space slugs, swat those vacuum wasps and toss out those gas giant formed gems, there are things in space to harvest FAR MORE VALUABLE!!!

http://io9.com/5911365/how-alcohol-is-formed-naturally-in-space

More proof that the universe is an amazing place .... I would have never thought that something like that could have existed ...

Knowing how dangerous it is to 'moonshine' homemade alcohol (my family history, both of my grandfathers were moonshiners - and as a little tike I remember hearing about how one of their brothers maybe an uncle it's been sooo long died when a still blew up) just think how dangerous it would be to try and fly into a vaporized cloud of the stuff and try and harvest is. A spark at the wrong time and BOOM!

One thing is for sure, there are a lot more ideas here than I'd ever thought of on my own! Thanks you all!!!!

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
More proof that the universe is an amazing place .... I would have never thought that something like that could have existed ...

Knowing how dangerous it is to 'moonshine' homemade alcohol (my family history, both of my grandfathers were moonshiners - and as a little tike I remember hearing about how one of their brothers maybe an uncle it's been sooo long died when a still blew up) just think how dangerous it would be to try and fly into a vaporized cloud of the stuff and try and harvest is. A spark at the wrong time and BOOM!

No free oxygen floating around to combine with though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is amazing how many products we use are derived from harvesting of animals. I carry a can of WD-40 on my truck, and I just found out the other day that WD-40 is made of fish oil, not a petroleum byproduct. If mynocks and space slugs are silicon-based lifeforms, there are all kinds of possibilities for harvesting and usage of complex silicates derived from their organs and tissues...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: