The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Star Wars Canon reset button has been pressed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Star Wars Canon reset button has been pressed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen it mentioned, WHY disney is considering the Clone wars cartoon canon, but not any of the EU novels stuff?
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just for Simplicity's sake. It appeared on TV and movie screens, while everything else did not.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it appeared on T.V then they should consider the old Droids, ewok, and the original Clone wars cartoon as well as caravan of courage as canon. In my opinion, I think the people at Disney only want the most profitable or the most recent additions in their cannon. My taking is near the later since the entire reason Disney bought star wars was to bring it back into the theaters.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, much of the creative team, that transferred over to Disney with Lucasfilm, worked on it and considered individual episodes as pet projects.
And because TCW retains greater marketing possibilities as cannon rather than as Legends.
Just my opinion, no hard evidence.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also because Lucas had a direct hand in development of plot lines and direction of the series.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably also because the Rebels team was looking to bring back clone wars characters, and it wouldn't really work if they weren't Canon
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Has anyone seen it mentioned, WHY disney is considering the Clone wars cartoon canon, but not any of the EU novels stuff?

Thx1138 wrote:
I think the people at Disney only want the most profitable or the most recent additions in their cannon. My taking is near the later since the entire reason Disney bought star wars was to bring it back into the theaters.
cynanbloodbane wrote:
Because, much of the creative team, that transferred over to Disney with Lucasfilm, worked on it and considered individual episodes as pet projects.
And because TCW retains greater marketing possibilities as cannon rather than as Legends.
Luwingo_Spince wrote:
Also because Lucas had a direct hand in development of plot lines and direction of the series.
evilnerf wrote:
Probably also because the Rebels team was looking to bring back clone wars characters, and it wouldn't really work if they weren't Canon

I think there is truth in all of this.

Also, The Clone Wars TV series really already was in effect the new canon before the sale to Disney. From the get-go, TCW was officially granted a canon-level above the EU's and had complete freedom to contradict the EU, but it actually even retconned the films too. Right off the bat, TCW moved Anakin's knighting from 6 months before RotS to less than one month after AotC, crammed almost three years of continuity into a few week's time to make room for the new series, and within days of Anakin's promotion gave him the responsibility of training a completely unplanned padawan to help him deal with the "terrible pain" of his mother's death felt by Yoda across the galaxy. Dump, flush... So the EU novels haven't been fully canon since before 2008.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goods news for EU fans is, according to Nate Butler, the recently released Ultimate Star Wars reference book re-canonized a whole bantha load of EU continuity. I'm looking forward to getting this book.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Ultimate Spiderman, then Ultimate X-Men, the The Ultimates.

Now the Ultimate reboot of SW:

Ultimate Star Wars!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The goods news for EU fans is, according to Nate Butler, the recently released Ultimate Star Wars reference book re-canonized a whole bantha load of EU continuity. I'm looking forward to getting this book.

Had a chance to thumb through this at Barnes & Noble today, and it really doesn't do much more than lock in what we already know as the new canon. It covers the films and the cartoons, almost nothing else.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say or mean it canonized any EU works wholesale, but someone who read it completely and scrutinized it for continuity details said the text descriptions re-canonized a lot of EU continuity that the canon works the book covers alone do not. Have you ever heard of Nathan Butler or Star Wars Timeline Gold? When it comes to the minutia of EU continuity, he general knows what he's talking about.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
I just want to say, Whill, you have a much better way with words than I ever will, and you seem quite a wise and benevolent gentelman. I would be honored to count you as a friend.

Hey, I like this guy!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I can't see how any of it matters to the individual. No fictional universe can maintain continuity forever, and I stopped "believing in" the idea of a SWU canon in the 90's when it meant I had to accept a bunch of stuff that I simply had no particular desire for in my own SW experience. At this point SW is like classical mythology, there are different versions and we can all choose to imagine it the way we like.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
At this point, I can't see how any of it matters to the individual. No fictional universe can maintain continuity forever, and I stopped "believing in" the idea of a SWU canon in the 90's when it meant I had to accept a bunch of stuff that I simply had no particular desire for in my own SW experience. At this point SW is like classical mythology, there are different versions and we can all choose to imagine it the way we like.

Amen, brother.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Amen, brother.

Indeed! I mix and match to my heart's content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: