The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you consider when choosing your species?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> What do you consider when choosing your species? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: What do you consider when choosing your species? Reply with quote

I wonder about this when I read descriptions have made about their characters. It seems that there are several different components which could lead someone to choose a character. I can think of three criteria: Either they have an interesting background, they look cool, or they have stats that are easy to power-game.

My question is this: What do you consider when choosing the species of your character?

I generally consider looks and species history, as well as any story factors that would make for an interesting game. I especially like social flaws and quirks, because those can lead to exciting encounters.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go with look first and foremost.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like the reptiles, don't you, DougRed4?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, when making a character alien, i try to match up what species i take with what concept i am going for. Like say i am doing a techie. You of course have Jawas and verpines, but often i also go for other less 'seen techie' races like Ugnauts or Slussi.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
You like the reptiles, don't you, DougRed4?

I do, but other aliens are cool, too. I'd definitely prefer to play something that's very much non-human.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What looks like it could be fun to play, often of late it's been feline races Smile
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfire wrote:
What looks like it could be fun to play, often of late it's been feline races Smile

I played Pathfinder for the first time not that long ago, and I went with a feline race there, which was also really cool.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually prefer non-humans, as well. I may also choose a race based on a book I recently read (for example: my next species will be Phindian, because one novel described them as habitually sarcastic).

Another reason someone might choose humans over non-humans is for status reasons. They might have a particularly harsh (for lack of a better term) GM who will have non-human PCs treated like garbage by authority figures. I have never seen this, but it could be a factor. Have any of you seen this happen?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no. Depending on when my campaign is set (rise of empire, post endor etc) depends on how much anti-alien sentiment there is, and it also depends on where its set. Inner rim, would have more of it than the outer rim or mid rim.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go for a character i can relate to.
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go for Basic human, though it depends on what you're going for.

A goody two shoes = naboo Or alderaanian
Pilot or heavy drinker = corrillian
Someone Who talks rather than fights = hapan or twi'lek
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Another reason someone might choose humans over non-humans is for status reasons. They might have a particularly harsh (for lack of a better term) GM who will have non-human PCs treated like garbage by authority figures. I have never seen this, but it could be a factor. Have any of you seen this happen?

I haven't seen much of it, but then a lot of what I've seen, GMd, or played has been in the Outer Rim or large scale (epic) space battle focused.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, when making a character alien, i try to match up what species i take with what concept i am going for. Like say i am doing a techie. You of course have Jawas and verpines, but often i also go for other less 'seen techie' races like Ugnauts or Slussi.

If you're looking for tech-savvy races, don't forget Anomids. At character creation, they get an extra 6D in skill dice; these are supposed to be used for skills under Technical, but CAN be used for other skills...at double cost. I've used Anomids for a number of my slicer characters, and they work out really well. Plus, Anomids have their own sign language, made very unique because they have six fingers on each hand; if taught to the other members of a party, they can be kinda like the 'windtalkers' used in WWII; their language was NEVER cracked by the Axis powers.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a race which I can connect to a common RW stereotype (and I don't mean a negative stereotype, though eyes and beholders, etc.), which I can then play to the hilt. For example, one of my favorite characters - Louw Wynstra - the old Duro navigator (see my avatar) is played like the stereotypical cranky old black man, many of whom I've known, loved, and gotten a kick out of. (I dunno, maybe I'm a racist, but the archetype appeals to me.)

So, why does Duro translate to old black man.... I don't know. It's that they're basically the same as humans, but green, in a humanocentric world.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
garhkal wrote:

If you're looking for tech-savvy races, don't forget Anomids. At character creation, they get an extra 6D in skill dice; these are supposed to be used for skills under Technical, but CAN be used for other skills...at double cost. I've used Anomids for a number of my slicer characters, and they work out really well. Plus, Anomids have their own sign language, made very unique because they have six fingers on each hand; if taught to the other members of a party, they can be kinda like the 'windtalkers' used in WWII; their language was NEVER cracked by the Axis powers.

Never really thought about anomids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: