The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Capital Ship Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Capital Ship Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at them more from a conventional origins -> unconventional usage due to resource shortages after the fact. Basically making them a well-defended support asset that gets pressed into service as a planetary assault weapon mainly because the Empire didn't have a lot of options at that point, and because only someone like the Emperor would think of using a weapon like that against a floating city on Dac.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that the world devastators were mining equipment.

I even think we saw one or several in rebels? (could have been clone wars, but i think it was rebels)
Here there were several of these huge machines on each planet and they left long trails of "dead surface"

I think they worked with some form of seismic and magnetic thingie, and they actually pulled the rescourses up from under the surface and partially refined t, and did this while mobile thus killing the surface of the planets, but they did not "destroy" the planet s in blowing it up

could be wrong, but think I picked this up somewhere
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the World Devastators definitely were more insidious than the Death Stars. They consumed worlds with massive tractor beams, pouring the material into massive molecular forges to create thousands of robotic war machines in addition to adding on to the World Devastator itself.

The Dark Empire Sourcebook mentions new World Devastators are dropped into asteroid belts to feed and grow, consuming raw materials until they were ready for battle.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
No, the World Devastators definitely were more insidious than the Death Stars. They consumed worlds with massive tractor beams, pouring the material into massive molecular forges to create thousands of robotic war machines in addition to adding on to the World Devastator itself.

The Dark Empire Sourcebook mentions new World Devastators are dropped into asteroid belts to feed and grow, consuming raw materials until they were ready for battle.

But did they really consume worlds? They're nowhere near the same scale as a Death Star, and it'd take a lot of World Devastators working together over the course of months or years to strip mine the entire surface of a planet.

I'm just saying they'd be more plausible if they were originally designed as heavily armed factory ships that later got pressed into service as planetary assault weapons.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, they actually and literally ate the worlds they attacked, using the consumed materials to grow themselves and crank out hordes of attack vehicles. Way more efficient and methodical. Oh, and they were nearly impervious to attack. A true weapon of terror.

Wookiepedia page

As to size, yes it would take several to destroy a world in a somewhat timely manner, but the DE Sourcebook says "Theoretically, a single Devastator could eventually become large enough to strip a planet unaided in a few weeks or even days. Neither Umak Leth nor his technicians have any idea what the upper limit to a Devastator’s growth is."

It's possible the Maw scientists co-opted the design of a factory ship or self-sustaining outpost, but they reimagined it on a much larger and more lethal scale.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I was always under the impression that the world devastators were mining equipment.

I even think we saw one or several in rebels? (could have been clone wars, but i think it was rebels)
Here there were several of these huge machines on each planet and they left long trails of "dead surface"

I think they worked with some form of seismic and magnetic thingie, and they actually pulled the rescourses up from under the surface and partially refined t, and did this while mobile thus killing the surface of the planets, but they did not "destroy" the planet s in blowing it up

could be wrong, but think I picked this up somewhere

If you're talking about the mining contraption that the Lothal rebels captured in Season 4, then no, that wasn't a World Devastator, it was just a Mining Guild ore crawler. It wasn't anywhere near big enough or armed or armored enough to be something as large as a World Devastator. Roughly similar boxy shape, sure (and I can understand that would be the thing to make people think they're the same or similar thing), but it's not the same thing at all.

And as Pel said, these things were designed from the beginning to both fight on the battlefield AND take resources to build more ships/weapons at the same time. It fits with Palpatine's modus operandi: steal the enemy's strength (or otherwise render it harmless) and make it your own. He did that before with the Clone Army when he turned them against the Jedi with Order 66, so why not do that again?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But just because Wookieepedia says they did, based off a description from a WEG book, how viable is the actual concept? Sure, a World Devastator could theoretically get large enough to eat a planet on its own, but the World Devastators we do know about are miniscule compared to the size of a habitable world. It'd make more sense to send them after individual cities, ala the City Killer ships in Independence Day, but eating the cities instead of blowing them up. A handful of World Devastators running back and forth over the surface of a planet like giant lawnmowers would take years just to strip off the top layer, never mind eating the whole planet.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly do what you like, but for my money, World Devastators are exactly that. Just one ate a Star Destroyer in short order so that's nothing to sneeze at.

Silencer 7 eats ISD Emancipator
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Star Destroyer is also pretty miniscule compared to the area of an inhabited planet, and there is no timeline provided for how long it took the Silencer-7 to eat the Emancipator.

In fact, the WEG stats don't even include a function for doing so...

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A Star Destroyer is also pretty miniscule compared to the area of an inhabited planet, and there is no timeline provided for how long it took the Silencer-7 to eat the Emancipator.

In fact, the WEG stats don't even include a function for doing so...

Judging from that pic of Silencer-7 eating the Emancipator that Pel linked, with Lando calling to man the escape pods after being unable to fire the forward torpedoes, it seems the OM NOM NOM couldn't have lasted more than a minute or two at most.

And it's odd (read: completely normal for WEG) that WEG would overlook something that prominent and forget to stat it. Rolling Eyes Razz
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These world devastors seems to be anything but uniform in size at least.
And maybe also in capabilities.

If we do look at the silencer 7, and refer to wookiepedia to get the size we have the silencer at 3200 meters long and 1500 meters tall.

if we look at the other "flag ship" devastaro, the innqisitor 4 we see "only"
1700 meter length and 900 meter hight.

so they vary a lot. To me the "world devastaor" are the tractor beam "array" tht allows these beasts to suck stuff through the planet crust, regardless of their size.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of for world devastators:

You don't have to strip the entire planet to devastate a planet.

Another thought on how you might use a world devastator without stripping a planet down to the core:

Orb Astra's Planetary Peril!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're splitting hairs here. I'm not arguing that World Devastators couldn't be used in the fashion that they are seen to be used in Dark Empire; my point is that 1) their origin story makes more sense if they began as something else and were pressed into service as weapons, instead of being designed as terror weapons from the outset, and 2) they would take an extremely long time to "devastate" an entire world. Using them to attack floating cities scattered across the surface of Dac makes more sense than using them to strip mine vast open expanses of an entire planet.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some thinking about the Corellian Gunship. As originally statted, it's more of a fast attack gunboat than an anti-starfighter platform, yet its write-up by WEG specifically mentions its anti-starfighter capabilities. However, its anti-starfighter weaponry is almost an afterthought when compared to something like the Lancer.

What I'm thinking of doing is making the four concussion missile launchers into anti-starfighter guided missiles. These will be relatively basic guided weapons with a limited ammo supply, and launchers themselves will have a relatively low fire rate. It'd essentially be the same stats for a regular concussion missile launcher, but with a 5D or 6D Fire Control and an Ammo of 20-30.

By focusing the DP20 more on the anti-starfighter platform it is purported to be, that would open up the fast attack role for the Dornean Bra'ha'tok that we catch a glimpse of in Rogue One.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, coming back around to this, here's an alternate version of the Corellian Gunship. The only real change is swapping out the anti-capital ship concussion missile launchers for smaller anti-starfighter missiles, but it does bring the ship more in line with the WEG description of the ship as an anti-starfighter platform.

Corellian Gunship

Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation's DP20
Type: Fast Anti-Starfighter Corvette
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Length: 120 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Corellian Gunship
Crew: 45 (10 @ +15) & 46 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D+1
Gunnery 4D+2
Piloting 4D
Shields 4D+1
Sensors 3D
Passengers: 10 (troops)
Small Craft Capacity:
--2 light utility craft
Cargo Capacity: 300 metric tons
Consumables: 8 months
Cost: 4.8 million (new), 2.4 million (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x16
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D+1
Space: 7 (3D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kph
Hull: 4D+2
Shields: 2D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 20/0D
Scan: 40/1D
Search: 80/1D+1
Focus: 2/2D+2
Weapon Systems:
6 Dual Turbolaser Cannon (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 2 Front/Left, 2 Front/Right, 2 Rear/Left/Right
Crew: 3
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 5D
8 Quad-Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: 2 Front/Left, 2 Front/Right, 2 Rear/Left, 2 Rear/Right
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Crew: 2
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 6D
4 Light Warhead Launchers
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right, 1 Rear/Left, 1 Rear/Right
Crew: 3
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Rate of Fire: 1
All Other Stats vary based on Weapon Type
Capacity: 40 missiles per launcher. May select Light Weapons from this list, depending on Availability.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +3
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D+1 @ 2D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Flight
    BATTERY DICE:
      Dual Turbolaser Cannon:1D+2 Front, 1D+1 Left, 1D+1 Right, 1D Rear
      Light Missile Launchers: 0D+2 Front, 0D+2 Left, 0D+2 Right, 0D+2 Rear
      Quad-Laser Cannon: 1D+2 Front, 1D+2 Left, 1D+2 Right, 1D+2 Rear

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: