The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The H-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The H-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: The H-Wing Reply with quote

Is there any interest in me doing stats for the H-Wing? I recently stumbled across AdamKop's rendering of it and felt mildly inspired.

I'm picturing it as an Alliance "ugly" cobbled together from spare Y-Wing parts, as a heavy ordnance delivery platform that would ultimately be replaced by the K-Wing. In general terms, a lot of the hardware (and thus stats) for weapons, sensors and the like would be plucked straight from my existing Y-Wing stats, just slower (Space 5), tougher, with double the ordnance capacity.

If you're interested, chime in.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: H-Wing Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Is there any interest in me doing stats for the H-Wing? I recently stumbled across AdamKop's rendering of it and felt mildly inspired.

I'm picturing it as an Alliance "ugly" cobbled together from spare Y-Wing parts, as a heavy ordnance delivery platform that would ultimately be replaced by the K-Wing. In general terms, a lot of the hardware (and thus stats) for weapons, sensors and the like would be plucked straight from my existing Y-Wing stats, just slower (Space 5), tougher, with double the ordnance capacity.

If you're interested, chime in.

I have no memory of that ship. I'd say this was the first I've ever heard of it, but I have the FFG book that included it so I may have run across it there and forgotten about it. I haven't cracked that book open in years.

The new art is nice. It doesn't look like an cobbled-together ugly. It looks like a new manufactured ship. It's too nice to be an ugly IMO. But you could still cobble together stat blocks to stat it out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like an Awing crossbred with a U wing..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: H-Wing Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have no memory of that ship. I'd say this was the first I've ever heard of it, but I have the FFG book that included it so I may have run across it there and forgotten about it. I haven't cracked that book open in years.

The original source is Challenge Magazine #35

Quote:
The new art is nice. It doesn't look like an cobbled-together ugly. It looks like a new manufactured ship. It's too nice to be an ugly IMO. But you could still cobble together stat blocks to stat it out.

It could just as easily be an official Koensayer product (which is actually the official fluff) utilizing leftover Y-Wing parts, which wouldn't change my stat concept at all.

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see the stats and capsule for the YT-1210 reimagined.

Working on it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Looks more like an Awing crossbred with a U wing..

Which is a huge improvement over the original.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: H-Wing Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

The original source is Challenge Magazine #35

I saw that when I looked it up on Wookieepedia, which is where I saw that FFG canonized that Challenge ship. I don't have the Challenge issue, but I do have the FFG book that made this official.

Yeah, the fan art you shared is better than the original art, but I think there is still likely very little interest in this ship due to its obscurity. Most people have probably never heard of this ship before.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: H-Wing Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't have the Challenge issue, but I do have the FFG book that made this official.

I've shared the Challenge and Polyhedron D6 articles in the [www] link below my signature. There's a lot of useful info there, but most all of it is in 1E format.

Quote:
Yeah, the fan art you shared is better than the original art, but I think there is still likely very little interest in this ship due to its obscurity. Most people have probably never heard of this ship before.

True. Still, I may have to scratch the itch anyway...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going a somewhat different direction from the official version of this ship. The official write-up makes it almost like a second-rate attempt at the B-Wing, with its main weapon being a turreted medium laser cannon. Instead, I want to go with an ordnance-heavy route, making this more of a predecessor to the K-Wing. Since the K-Wing wasn't introduced until years after Endor, this will give PCs in the Classic Era the option of a heavy strike starfighter (although not near as good as the K).

Basically, it will be something like an Ugly, but officially built by Koensayr, using Y-Wing components for much of the ship, including weapons, sensors, engines, cockpits, etc. It'll be slow (Space 5), but very tough (5D Hull / 2D Shields), with the Y-Wing's ion cannon fixed forward and a dual laser turret for defenses. Ordnance-wise, it'll have four Warhead Launchers (two under each cockpit, with two separate magazines) and a 4-round rotary launcher for Heavy Ordnance.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H-Wing Starfighter

The H-Wing is Koensayr's attempted follow-up to their highly successful Y-Wing Fighter/Bomber. In the aftermath of the Clone Wars, the Empire pivoted much of their starfighter programs to Sienar Fleet Systems' TIE series fighters. The production line for Y-Wings was abruptly canceled, leaving Koensayr with a massive backlog of components and spare parts. Scrambling to find a new market to recoup their impending losses, Koensayr looked into multiple potential projects, one of which was the H-Wing.

The H-Wing uses many of the same main components as the Y-Wing, from the engines to the cockpits, sensors, weapon systems, shields, etc. Even the central frame is repurposed from standard Y-Wing structural members. The result is a slow but tough heavy starfighter that can carry a remarkable load of combat ordnance. Its most notable feature is the trio of Y-Wing style cockpits, two side-by-side in front, with the third behind and slightly above them to the rear. The two forward cockpits are functionally identical, allowing the pilot and copilot to share operational and gunnery duties between them. The third cockpit houses the gunnery station for the dual laser cannon mounted on the roof, which was used primarily for defensive purposes while the H-Wing was on a bombing run. The Gunner's station also included a basic set of flight controls and shield operations. This arrangement allowed for a high degree of coordination between the three-being crew, and increased survivability and return rate for damaged craft, as any one of the three cockpits could pilot the craft in emergencies.

Unfortunately, the H-Wing also incorporates or compounds many of the Y-Wing's noted weaknesses, including underpowered sensors, low maneuverability and speed. As such, the ship only ever saw a limited production run, and was never hugely popular with the intended market of sector or system-level military forces. It was, however, picked up by the Alliance, who even set up their own small production lines, producing H-Wings from their own stockpile of Y-Wing spare parts.

While never deployed in huge numbers, Alliance Starfighter Command makes use of H-Wings in situations where massed ordnance strikes are needed, usually holding any H-Wing squadrons or wings at the Sector or Strategic Reserve level. Alliance High Command isn't blind to the H-Wing's shortcomings, but is making do with what they have available. In the post-Endor era, the H-Wing will ultimately be replaced by the far superior K-Wing.

Craft: Koensayr's BTS-A2 "H-Wing"
Type: HeavyAttack Starfighter
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 17.1 meters
Skill: Starship Piloting: H-Wing
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5) & 1 Gunner
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D+2
Gunnery 4D+1
Piloting 4D+2
Shields 3D
Sensors 4D
Cargo Capacity: 220 kilograms
Consumables: 5 days
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: Limited (4 jumps)
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 5 (2D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kph
Hull: 5D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 20/0D
Scan 35/1D
Search 40/2D
Focus 2/3D
Weapons:
2 Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1 (Gunner, but can be remotely controlled from either of the front cockpits at -2D)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
2 Light Ion Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1 (Pilot or Copilot)
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/7/16
--Atmosphere: 100m/300m/700m/1.6km
Damage: 4D (ionization)
*If fired by the pilot, this weapon is Fire Arc: Front @ Fire Control of 1D.
4 Warhead Launchers (may be fire-linked)
Rate of Fire: 1
All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
Capacity: 4 rounds per launcher. May select any Weapons from this list, depending on Availability.
2 Bomb Launch Chutes (may be fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front (Ventral)
Rate of Fire: Singly, or up to 2D (expends 4 bombs, 1 time/round)
Capacity: 16 rounds per launcher. May select Gravity Bombs or Space Mines from this list, depending on Availability.
1 Heavy Ordnance Launcher
Capacity: 4. May select any Weapon from this list, depending on Availability.
Note: Any carried weapon applies a penalty of -1 Space (-20 Atmosphere) and -1D to Maneuverability and Hull.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +1
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 1D+2 Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: