The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Species: Neshtu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New Species: Neshtu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: New Species: Neshtu Reply with quote

Neshtu
Home Planet: Donnoh

Neshtu
Neshtu come from a high gravity world and have body types that are thick and stocky. With their rocky exteriors and slow gait Neshtu are often thought as dimwitted. Throughout their history they have been exploited as a people because of their pacifistic tendencies. The Neshtu are slow to anger and take action, but when they do, the mountains quake.

Average Neshtu: Dexterity 2D, Knowledge 2D, Mechanical 2D+1, Perception 2D, Strength 3D+2, Technical 2D+1, Move: 10

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D/3D
KNOWLEDGE 1D/3D
MECHANICAL 1D/4D
PERCEPTION 1D+2/3D+2
STRENGTH 3D/5D
TECHNICAL 1D+1/4D+1

Special Abilities:

Rocky Exterior: a dense layer of rock-like skin of the Neshtu gives a +2D to resist damage vs. physical attacks and +1D vs. energy attacks.
Skill Bonus: receives the skill specialization Survival: desert for free.

Story Factors:
Pacifists: rejects the initiation of violence, must make a Moderate Willpower roll in order use violence for self-defense or defend others.

Move: 8/10
Size: up to 1.9m; 190kgs
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the Average move be 8?

I'm not sure I like the free specialization. How about a +1D to all skills used against or affected bythe desert environment. (there has to be a better way of phrasing this) (thinking Hide, Sneak, Search, Survival)

Do they still consume water like a human? Do they just need less? or are they good at finding it? Make them immune to dehydration? Maybe adaptation to bright sunlight means they ignore flash-blindness effects?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand your suggestions but keep in mind there is no need for an exacting list. A lot of what you suggest could be handled narratively in the species background information. No need for a bunch of extra "special" rules and whatnot for them.

My concept for the species was one that was naturally adapted to its environment, that being its rocky exterior giving it them protection. As for water consumption and conservation, I would assume that because of their physiology they would need a great deal less. This can be handled by background information.

As for additional hide, sneak, search, etc? I am not sure I can find a justification for those as something inherent to the entire species. The Survival: desert comes directly from them living in a desert environment. I consider it a everyman skill. Similar to a modern city dweller have common knowledge of how to navigate the city, use city transportation, etc.

Keep the suggestions coming though. Do not think for a moment I do not appreciate your suggestions!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a note should be included concerning the wearing of body armor due to their rocky hide. After all...its not like they can go to intergalactic wally world and pick a suit up off the rack...
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good observation. They can certainly have armor and such made for them but it is not a part of their culture or industry. Unless of course they were not always pacifists and that they may have remnants of that old part of their culture.

This would be interesting as they may have some pretty nasty armor and equipment from that period. Perhaps an honor guard of some type that still uses these items and receives special training in their use.

Hmmm, this opens all kinds of interesting ideas.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually to me, i can see cause of their pacifist nature, them NOT wanting to (shunning) the wearing of armor
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Actually to me, i can see cause of their pacifist nature, them NOT wanting to (shunning) the wearing of armor

shootingwomprats wrote:
They can certainly have armor and such made for them but it is not a part of their culture or industry.

I think this already covered that do not have armor as a part of their culture. I had said there was no reason they could not have it custom built for themselves. Sorta like saying a culture does not have work, but someone could certainly contract to have a wood house built for them.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Species: Neshtu Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Story Factors:
Pacifists: rejects the initiation of violence, must make a Moderate Willpower roll in order use violence for self-defense or defend others.

This is an interesting idea. It would require a player to invest in a skill that often gets ignored (willpower) under an attribute that is often left with low dice as it is. Rather than a player just blundering through half-hearted attempts to justify why the character was using violence, there has to be a physical reminder (that is to say, rolling the dice) to place it squarely in the player's mind that this is outside of the cultural upbringing of the character.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about having that willpower roll be tiered. Saving your own @$$ when ambushed/attacked with no to little reason, moderate. Saving someone elses @$$, difficult. Attacking by ambush/instigating, very difficult if not heroic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: