The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!) Reply with quote

I have 2 little girls, 5 &3/4 year old and 7 ½. And we have been watching the whole SW series off and on over the last month or so. Tonight we got to ANH. Now for the funny part …

When you first see Moff Tarkin, my girls went “Ohhh daddy he HAS to be a bad guy” (I’d been doing the is he good or bad – clueing them in on the lighting, color, shading, and music etc ). Their reason … “His hair is like yours, but his head isn’t round and he doesn’t look happy, so if he isn’t happy like you, and looks like that he has to be bad!”

For some reason, that made me laugh! I'm not sure what that says about how I look to my girls ... but at least I smile
Wink

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, lurker! All five of my children love Star Wars, so I've passed along at least one good thing to them! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like that commercial for Audi. All the great bad guy players these days seem to be British. Ergo if someone speaks in a British accent, they must be bad.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm.six foot one and two hundred pounds, but for some reason my two year old son saw a picture of Jabba the Hutt he pointed at it looked right at me and said "Daddy".
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I'm.six foot one and two hundred pounds, but for some reason my two year old son saw a picture of Jabba the Hutt he pointed at it looked right at me and said "Daddy".

Shocked Laughing

I though it was bad for me, just because my hair line is best viewed from behind me, but Jabba ... boy ... Laughing

gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they never live that one down when they're older LMAO
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!) Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
I have 2 little girls, 5 &3/4 year old and 7 ½. And we have been watching the whole SW series off and on over the last month or so. Tonight we got to ANH.

Thanks for sharing. Did you watch them in order? If so, please tell me how they did with AotC (decapitations), and all the "PG-13" stuff in RotS? (Anakin's betrayal and mass Jedicide; Anakin getting maimed, yelling I hate you and burning alive to get all melty; Padme dying in childbirth, etc). My son is almost 5 and I haven't shown him any live action SW yet, but he's getting older so I'm really interested in how other kids do.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Did you watch them in order? If so, please tell me how they did with AotC (decapitations), and all the "PG-13" stuff in RotS? (Anakin's betrayal and mass Jedicide; Anakin getting maimed, yelling I hate you and burning alive to get all melty; Padme dying in childbirth, etc). My son is almost 5 and I haven't shown him any live action SW yet, but's getting older so I'm really interested in how other kids do.

Yeah, they watched them in order, I figured that would be easiest.

For the PG-13 stuff, they did better than you'd think. However, ... Though I try to keep them centered on good, take them to church 3 times a week, etc etc. I also do not shelter them. They watch 'wildlife shows' with 'lions tigers and bears oh my' taking down their pray. They have both gone hunting with me, helped skin out a dear and a pig, and rabbits etc. Also, I've talked to them about 'evil' in the world, people that do not do good like they should, and some of why I 'went to far away work' when I deployed in the military.

With that, they may be young, but are not sheltered and squeamish. So, I'd say it is possible for someone that age to watch it, but do so carefully

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one father to another, I really appreciate your feedback on that. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
lurker wrote:
I have 2 little girls, 5 &3/4 year old and 7 ½. And we have been watching the whole SW series off and on over the last month or so. Tonight we got to ANH.

Thanks for sharing. Did you watch them in order? If so, please tell me how they did with AotC (decapitations), and all the "PG-13" stuff in RotS? (Anakin's betrayal and mass Jedicide; Anakin getting maimed, yelling I hate you and burning alive to get all melty; Padme dying in childbirth, etc). My son is almost 5 and I haven't shown him any live action SW yet, but he's getting older so I'm really interested in how other kids do.

I'll give you my answer, and you're probably not going to like it: It depends on the child.

My eldest would probably handle a lot of RotS just fine. Though she's only 17 months older than her sister (which was not the plan) the younger would not handle it well at all. The eldest has an easier time separating herself from representations on the screen, where the youngest gets very immersed in any book, TV show, or play that she's seeing.

I know a kid who at 7 was terrified of the "crash scene" in Cars. Things that were high intensity were just too much for him. Strangely, he probably could have gone out with lurker and helped him skin the bear and ask detailed questions about every single muscle, tendon, and organ he saw.

So, I'm not even going to pretend to know how your kids react. Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Something that made me laugh (and I needed it!) Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:
lurker wrote:

I'll give you my answer, and you're probably not going to like it: It depends on the child.

Why would I not like it? Of course it depends on the child. I take Parental Guidance very seriously, and the very definition of it assumes that each child is different. It means the parent will know best for his or her own child. PG-13 is still PG, with a strong suggestion to carefully consider showing it to children under 13.

Even though it is relative to each child, that doesn't stop me from wanting to inquire about the experiences of other parents with their kids. I never felt that any experience of other kids would be the determining factor for my own child. At the end of the day, it is still up to me (and my wife) to decide what is best for my individual child.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it mostly tongue in cheek, and I hope it didn't come across wrong. And if so, I'm sorry.

Though yeah, I showed my kids ANH when they were 4 and 5. It worked well enough, though some of the intricacies of the plot went over their heads. They thought it was all about the rescue of Leia and the rest after that was mere denouement.

I showed each of them ESB individually before they went off to kindergarten. I was hesitant to do so, but I knew that going off the kindergarten increased the likelihood of plot spoilers, and I wanted to be present when the children had the full realization that (and spoiler alert for everyone here) Darth Vader was Luke's father. In the end, that backfired. The carbon freezing chamber was REALLY scary for the younger child, though Luke's hand being severed wasn't an issue. Though the reality of the statement didn't quite sink in. My eldest was left with the impression that Luke somehow had two fathers. One that Vader had killed, and the other was Vader. (I mean, hey, we're already suspending our belief for rubber puppets moving spaceships... WHY NOT!?!?) So, they had a lot of processing to do.

They got to see RotJ together shortly before the release of TPM 3D in theaters. It was a little rushed, I'll admit, as I wanted to show them the redemption part of the story a little later. But I thought they may never get a chance to see a SW film in the theater, and it wouldn't make sense to not have the whole story before seeing how it began. I prepped them by showing them sections of From Star Wars to Jedi: The Saga Behind the Saga, particularly at how the monsters from Jabba's palace were created, how the cast was costumed, and how the rancor was really only 18" high. I was kind of frightened by the Jabba scenes when they came out in the theater, and maybe I was projecting... but I thought if they saw the reality behind the fantasy it would make it an easier sell. That worked. They'd asked to see the making of again after that, now that they had the fantasy in the forefront of their minds, but things went well.

Then they saw TPM in the theater. They must have been 6 and 7. They loved it. They wanted to see it again and again on video, and I acquiesced. They would ask me questions on plot holes I couldn't answer, but that's fine. However, in the end, their exposure to RoTJ and TPM wound up being a good thing. Last year our dog died. Well... he had bone cancer and it'd metastasized everywhere before we'd found it. So, we made him comfortable as long as it was humane to do so. I told the kids that the dog would probably die soon, and yadda yadda yadda. I gave them as many answers as they had questions, but didn't volunteer too much info. After he'd been euthanized, one of the girls asked, "What did the vet do with his body?" And you just don't tell a 6 year old, "Ever heard of an incinerator?" Instead, I drew parallels for how Jedi show respect for their fallen comrades and how the Jedi do their funerals. That answer seemed pretty useful to them.

I showed them AotC just recently. they must have been 7 and 8 at the time (our eldest just turned 9). The Clone Wars tv series is on, and I thought it was reasonable to give them the movie background. They handled it well, though I'm still hesitant to show them RotS, as it has some REALLY intense scenes, and I know my youngest will not handle it particularly well. I get the sense that it will frighten the ever loving crap out of her to watch Padme die of... of... well, whatever. And I think the killing younglings thing will probably be too much for her, particularly as Anakin is still a good guy in the cartoons. I don't think she'll much understand that transition. Especially since both of them currently have a hard time distinguishing between the Rebellion and the Republic.

I'll be previewing EVII when it comes out, and am withholding judgement until that time.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I showed them to my kids very young, but I don't know the exact ages. In retrospect, and while I very much appreciate the desire to protect one's kids (and find that admirable), I think the more important part is to make sure you're there to discuss troubling scenes with kids afterwards. Another thing that is there, for those that need it, is the fast-forward button. If you know your child has trouble handling certain stuff (and I agree that each child is completely different), you could always fast-forward over that scene with Anakin getting horrifically burned, etc.

This discussion (especially Cheshire's last post) reminds me of this, which - especially if you haven't seen it before - will give you a chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

This discussion (especially Cheshire's last post) reminds me of this, which - especially if you haven't seen it before - will give you a chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY

Seen it. Love it.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These kid stories are great.

I don't have kids, for I am 22 years old. However, i am an aspiring teacher and I regularly work with kids.

I used the Jedi Code as a behavior management plan with one of the students in my afterschool program. He behaved indifferently to others and was sometimes sadistic. He was also an avid Star Wars fan (instead of getting gifts from Santa, they came from Luke Skywalker). So to help him manage himself, I made him my padawan and taught him the Jedi Code. Once a week during freeplay, he would ask for a Jedi lesson. I would use one of the tenets of the Code to teach a behavioral skill that I thought he needed to work on at the time. It was quite fun.

When the kids made posters about why they love the YMCA (which my program is part of), he wrote that he likes his Jedi master and nothing else. It's the little things....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: