The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alliance TIE Fighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Alliance TIE Fighter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 1846
Location: Tacoma, WA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Were you still planning on filling in the hollows of the rear cone?
It's mostly full of hyperdrive slab, but I could put in some radiating fins or something like that if you want.
crmcneill wrote:

First, I have no problem with the existing wing-roots being bulked-up to make room for a vertical housing for the landing gear.
I might go that route.
crmcneill wrote:
However, if that is not a workable option for you, what I suggest is that, just as the lower wing segments fold out 90 degrees to land, the landing struts swing in 180 degrees (or evenly slightly further) to extend for landing. They would be mounted on the same hinge, but would fold up flush (or close to it) against the inside of the wing, with one leg in front of the wing root and the other behind.

Still not able to put it together from words... Can you post a sketch or something, maybe?
_________________
Or that excessively long "Noooooooooo" was the Whining Side of the Force leaving him. - Dustflier

Complete Starship Construction System
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11591
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Were you still planning on filling in the hollows of the rear cone?
It's mostly full of hyperdrive slab, but I could put in some radiating fins or something like that if you want.

I was referring more to how the cone extension still appears to have gaps in it, and I would prefer that it be filled in completely.

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
First, I have no problem with the existing wing-roots being bulked-up to make room for a vertical housing for the landing gear.
I might go that route.

Excellent.

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
However, if that is not a workable option for you, what I suggest is that, just as the lower wing segments fold out 90 degrees to land, the landing struts swing in 180 degrees (or evenly slightly further) to extend for landing. They would be mounted on the same hinge, but would fold up flush (or close to it) against the inside of the wing, with one leg in front of the wing root and the other behind.

Still not able to put it together from words... Can you post a sketch or something, maybe?

I'm not really skilled at drawing, and I'm at a loss as to how I can explain it more clearly. Since you are going to attempt my original suggestion, I will keep this one on the back burner in case it is needed.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 1846
Location: Tacoma, WA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, I'm not dead. Volume is up at work, and I've got a lot of other stuff going on keeping me busy. Work on your TIE has not totally ground to a halt, but progress is slow and sporadic—as initially promised, I supposed... I'm just letting you know that I haven't forgotten you.
crmcneill wrote:
I was referring more to how the cone extension still appears to have gaps in it, and I would prefer that it be filled in completely.
OHHHHhhhh! You mean the six indentations at the rim, not the hollow space in between! Yeah, I can fill those in with detail work.
crmcneill wrote:
Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
First, I have no problem with the existing wing-roots being bulked-up to make room for a vertical housing for the landing gear.
I might go that route.

Excellent.
This is working. It's just taking time to engineer.
_________________
Or that excessively long "Noooooooooo" was the Whining Side of the Force leaving him. - Dustflier

Complete Starship Construction System
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11591
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
You mean the six indentations at the rim, not the hollow space in between! Yeah, I can fill those in with detail work.

I actually meant both the hollow space and the indentations. The more internal volume available, the easier it will be to justify inclusion of additional systems, like life support.

Also, as a possible cool-factor, might it be possible for the wings in landing mode to fold past horizontal? As in angled slightly in toward each other at the edges opposite the hinged end?
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 1846
Location: Tacoma, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Also, as a possible cool-factor, might it be possible for the wings in landing mode to fold past horizontal? As in angled slightly in toward each other at the edges opposite the hinged end?
It'd take some rebuilding, but it can be done. I think, though, the hinges may need to be rebuilt anyways...
_________________
Or that excessively long "Noooooooooo" was the Whining Side of the Force leaving him. - Dustflier

Complete Starship Construction System
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11591
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon?
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11591
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Does anyone know where Fallon Kell vanished to? He was working on this for me when he went off the radar, and I'd like to give him a chance to wrap it up before I see if anyone else wants to take a stab at it.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0