The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ka-Rataan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ka-Rataan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Ka-Rataan Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of Ka-Rataan?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it’s a Jedi martial art.
Though it counts as a force power.
I’m not sure if it is official or not so don’t quote me on it.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think it is official... i've seen a crapload of doc files out there with supposed full lists of powers and crap, but i think most of them are bull, like jedi gun combat and stuff like that... i don't know if it actually is official, but most of it seems highly unlikely to me
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the “something” paladins, I hear about some sort of lightgun thing.
The idea sounded pretty stupid to me, supposedly those paladin guys where both light and dark Jedi. But Ka-Rataan whether official or not seems ok to me. Its powerful, but not overly so. Most of the moves are not designed to kill as opposed to knockout or immobilize.
Either way, the only way the game can be updated is for the player to keep tweaking the system or add new bits, the tough part is sifting the wheat from the chaff.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's also true
a little while back i created my own little custom power because so many people in my group wanted to play saiyan style characters and such so i made "Martial Arts Combat" which functioned exactly like lightsaber combat, only with martial arts... (this being before i bought the specforce book and found the already made martial arts rules) but it kinda got out of hand when someone could do like 16D damage with a fist if they got their control up high enough... so i kinda scrapped the power
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-Raatan works similarly to lightsabre combat as well. But the damage bonus added in from control or whatever is only stun as far as I’m aware. Yeah it can get pretty nuts, but so can lightsabre combat. I think that’s why Jedi kick so much butt, they where designed to.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s right, the Ka-Rataan thing is just a Jedi ability, it adds a bit more flavour but it’s hardly incumbent to the game.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, maybe you could post up the stuff you've got on it?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-Rataan
Control + Sense
Sense Difficulty: Mod
Control Difficulty: Mod
Required Powers: Combat Sense, Emptiness or Rage

Notes: this Power may be kept up. Learning Ka-Rataan takes much longer than learning other Force Skills/Powers. Learning Ka-Rataan requires several months (at least 3) of resolute study at a Praxeum. In addition the Power Ka-Rataan may not be learned until the student first learned the skill Ka-Rataan lore.

Effect: Ka-Rataan is more than just a Power, it is a philosophy and a code that can describe and dictate all influences in a Jedi’s life. Every moment, kata, and breath tells a story and teaches a lesson. When activated, a Jedi enters a state similar to Lightsabre Combat where he extends his senses and control of the Force around him to enhance his effectiveness in hand-to-hand combat. While keeping this Power up the Jedi receives several bonuses:
-Brawling Parry becomes a free action with no penalties for multiple actions
-Add Sense to Brawling
-Add ½ Sense to Brawling Parry
-Add Control to Strength for stun damage (through striking an opponent’s pressure points, weak areas, etc. This can add modifiers to the damage roll depending on location and knowledge of the target species, although a successful Alien Species or Sense Life may reduce/negate the penalty).
-Add control to Strength to resist blunt damage
-Add control to Brawling following a successful Brawling Parry to use the opponent’s energy against him in a throw, trip, etc. doing damage equal to the target’s Strength (difficulty equal to Brawling Parry difficulty +10). This manoeuvre requires an extra action but if successful there is no defence

Well there it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: