The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

PDF WEG books from the net
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> PDF WEG books from the net Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't strictly a method of posting your books online, but http://www.yousendit.com allows for someone to send files of up to 1GB. It'll send the recipient a link to go and download the file in a certain amount of time. It might be possible to do some sourcebook sharing this way, if anyone's interested.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this might just do the trick! Thank you!

So, anyone got any requests?

...or anything they might send me?....
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind acquiring a few...but I don't have any I could trade to you, though I might have something else you'd be interested in. For example, I could trade you a gmail invitation, if you'd like. Let me know if you're interested.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a gmail account, so thanks. But you don't need to give me something in return for these books, I'll gladly share them with anyone interested.

I only have these books because someone, somewhere, went to the trouble of scanning their books and PDFing them, and then was kind enough to share them with everyone. So this is my chance to return the favor, by passing them on to the community, and maybe adding some of my own.

However, sending these PDFs via YouSendIt takes a little while. But anyone interested can send me your e-mail and a list of what you want, and I'll try to send it over... Just don't overtax me...
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry: Are you scanning and OCRing or leaving them image scans? What resolution if they're image scans?

I'm interested in Galaxy Guide 9, and I'm very very happy that you're going to the trouble of scanning books.

By the way, you can usually get a book printed and bound at your local copy shop for a fairly reasonable rate if you bring them a CD (or Zip disc, or whatever) with the book in PDF format.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just leaving them as scanned images, I don't see the point in OCRing them, since it's more work and it usually ends up looking funky. The pages are being scanned at 150 dpi, which looks great and is not that heavy. I clean the images the best I can to make a quality looking book. The PDFs aren't turning out too heavy. Stock Ships is 15mb, GG9 is 24mb and SotE is 40mb.

I print my books at home and then get them bound at a local copy shop. It's not very cheap, but at least they come out the way I like it.

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just didn't want to feel like a leech, is all, though if I do get ahold of something you don't have, I'll make sure you know! Smile We might as well make this a thread for making sure others can get PDFs.

I'll be sending you a PM shortly.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose we move this issue to a new thread then. Dedicated to the sharing of PDFs.
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded emule and am working on getting some of these books.

I used to own them at one point (and will again soon).

I am running a campaign this summer, and I'd like to thank whoever is responsible for scanning these (as well as you all for showing me where to find them).

Smile
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error, try the Official PDF-Sharing Thread.

Wanted Poster
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Error, try the Official PDF-Sharing Thread.

I will. Thanks a lot Smile
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF WEG books from the net Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I hope this isn't frowned upon, but I have the world to thank for the PDF books people release on the net. I know downloading scanned books is actually illegal, but these books have been off the print for a long time, WEG does not hold the license anymore and this kind of used books is nowhere to be found in Brazil, where I live.

Yes, technically it is illegal, but it's what's known as "abandonware". There are no official channel to get the books anymore. Any store you buy them at they count legally as "used" even if they are in fact new. Since West End no longer publishes them, they no longer get any money for their sales, nor therefore lose money for you downloading a copy instead. Therefore, the only company that MIGHT have a gripe with it is Wizards of the Coast, but they can't do anything... Only West End can, and they seem to know about alot of these "d6" sites... They even referred me to one that was very good for "conversion of d20 to d6"... They even said thank you for continuing to support West End Star Wars...

So, what it all boils down to is that while it's illegal technically, the only company able to prosecute is 100% ok with it.

Also, West End IS stilla around... They have a totally original fanstasy world called TORG using the same system... so if you think you might like it... check it out, just be sure to actually support them and not get PDFs of the TORG books because they actually exist currently.
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, ¿what did it happened to this thread? I am trying to find PDF-Sharing Thread, cause there's some books I need in order to complete my collection, but I can't find it. ¿Could anybody help me?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a week too late. After over a year of full activity, the PDF-Sharing Thread as been discontinued by the forum administrator due to fear of a Lucasfilm legal action.

But when there's a will, there's a way....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: