The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How I deal with the blaster-proof Wookie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How I deal with the blaster-proof Wookie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: How I deal with the blaster-proof Wookie Reply with quote

There are few rules topics that had so much written about them as the “blaster-proof Wookie” – the ability of characters with 4D+ Strength to just shrug off damage.

There have been many discussions here on this problem, and many possible solutions and house-rules presented. And seeing as in all this time I haven’t shared yet, here are my ways to make the game a little more deadly, for everyone, and high strength characters in particular. Maybe it’ll be useful to someone.

In my game:
One: Damage bonus on a good hit. Each 3 points by which the attack roll beats the difficulty or defense roll provides +1 to the damage roll.

Two: It’s easier to get stunned. The “Stun” result on the damage table is no longer “0 - 3”, but “–7 –3”, meaning that to avoid all damage, the soak roll must beat the damage roll by at least 8 points, and not just 1 or more as per RAW. Also, damage results of “Wounded” and higher also count as “Stunned” at the same time.

Three: And most important for the ”blaster-proof Wookie” problem: strength roll cap. For character-scale creatures, regardless of how many natural strength dice a character has, the strength roll to resist damage is capped at 16 (this number works for me, but could be adjusted up or down easily, depending how deadly you want the game). The only ways to go above this cap are to wear armor or other damage-resisting equipment or rolling a “6” on the wild die. Bonus dice and points gained from equipment and re-rolling the wild die may be added above the 16 point cap.

And there it is.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So an 8d rancor maxes out on his resistance roll with only getting a 2 on each die?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what we've done (with our rule of 'dazed'), but I really like some of these ideas, Leon!
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So an 8d rancor maxes out on his resistance roll with only getting a 2 on each die?

Is a Rancor character-scale by RAW? I don't know, never looked up it's official stats. If it is, that's stupid, and I happily ignore it. Unless it's a small, young one. The adult, huge beast we see in RotJ? Definately not character-scale in my game.

DougRed4 wrote:
I like what we've done (with our rule of 'dazed'), but I really like some of these ideas, Leon!

Thank you.
- Tom Lehrer
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How I deal with the blaster-proof Wookie Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Three: And most important for the ”blaster-proof Wookie” problem: strength roll cap. For character-scale creatures, regardless of how many natural strength dice a character has, the strength roll to resist damage is capped at 16 (this number works for me, but could be adjusted up or down easily, depending how deadly you want the game). The only ways to go above this cap are to wear armor or other damage-resisting equipment or rolling a “6” on the wild die. Bonus dice and points gained from equipment and re-rolling the wild die may be added above the 16 point cap.

I would be tempted to make the maximum dice roll something like half the potential maximum roll without wild dice. Do a 6D strength wookiee can roll a maximum of 18 rather than 16 so that the number of strength dice still has an actual impact. Especially given that wearing standard armour just isn't possible for a large number of species.

That said I tend to favour letting people have characters with high strength ratings and rolling full dice for soak. It means that while they may be able to shrug off the blaster fire from people that aren't expecting to deal with something so tough they're ultimately going to cause everyone to start carrying heavier firepower or using other methods to subdue them.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How I deal with the blaster-proof Wookie Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I would be tempted to make the maximum dice roll something like half the potential maximum roll without wild dice. Do a 6D strength wookiee can roll a maximum of 18 rather than 16 so that the number of strength dice still has an actual impact.

I'm not sure what you mean? The number of dice absolutely still has impact. That's why I went with a result cap, instead of limiting the number of dice rolled, like some house rules on this I've seen. And the cap is the same for everybody exactly so that it's more limiting for 4D+ strength characters without completely screwing everybody else.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rancors are listed in the main rule book at 7d (with +3d from a thick hide), but no mention of whether they are character scale or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: