The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Rebels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Rebels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I've finished it. The whole thing.

Gratz on finishing Star Wars Rebels! What did you think of the whole thing?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't watch much television at this time (mental health issue preventing being able to, not "I don't have enough time", long story), and Rebels was, happily, one of the things I could watch.

I enjoyed the series, and loved watching the last season again for the very, very subtle hints as to the ending.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I've finished it. The whole thing.

Gratz on finishing Star Wars Rebels! What did you think of the whole thing?

I enjoyed it a lot. Like Ray, my choice TV time is limited, since either my kids or my wife have it most of the time, but I've been able to carve out Sunday and Monday mornings as "my time" for TV. Rebels was the better part of that the last two months (I defaulted to TNG on Netflix when I didn't have the DVDs from the library).

In a lot of ways, I relate it to both Avatar and Clone Wars... Shows directed at a tween to teen audience that, nonetheless, don't shy away from issues surrounding war. Rebels was a good Star Wars story, and watching its connections to the OT, Rogue One, and Clone Wars was great. I liked how it expanded the Imperial era, bringing to the fore a lot of what made the Empire hated, and how people on the ground lived and resisted.

One of the strengths of Star Wars was a relatively focused canon... All that mattered was the movies. But that also lead to a distinct shallowness, that I think gets reflected in the WEG game... Everyone we see on the screen is a representative of the average member of their species. Greedo is a bounty hunter, so all Rodians are bounty hunters. The Gamorreans are thugs, so that's what they all are. Television series, with their tens of hours to work with, can provide the breadth that the movies lack, and the depth that movies don't get to explore.

I really think Rebels stands among some of the best Star Wars media.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
One of the strengths of Star Wars was a relatively focused canon... All that mattered was the movies. But that also lead to a distinct shallowness, that I think gets reflected in the WEG game... Everyone we see on the screen is a representative of the average member of their species. Greedo is a bounty hunter, so all Rodians are bounty hunters. The Gamorreans are thugs, so that's what they all are. Television series, with their tens of hours to work with, can provide the breadth that the movies lack, and the depth that movies don't get to explore.

That's a good point about WEG species fluff being expanded from the film character roles, but RPGs are not the same kind of media as the linear narratives of film, TV, books, etc. The great thing is, as GMs we are not limited to adhering to stereotypical view in our games. Not only do I like having individuals characters that play against the type, I sometimes expand that to having entire alien colonies with divergent cultures. It's a very large galaxy. If you want an entire planet of Rodian pacifists or Gamorrean technicians, then poof - It's there. TV shows might have some good ideas but GMs are only limited by their imaginations.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

That's a good point about WEG species fluff being expanded from the film character roles, but RPGs are not the same kind of media as the linear narratives of film, TV, books, etc. The great thing is, as GMs we are not limited to adhering to stereotypical view in our games. Not only do I like having individuals characters that play against the type, I sometimes expand that to having entire alien colonies with divergent cultures. It's a very large galaxy. If you want an entire planet of Rodian pacifists or Gamorrean technicians, then poof - It's there. TV shows might have some good ideas but GMs are only limited by their imaginations.

Of course not, but the published works form the common language of gaming communities. The further afield you go, the less you wind up talking everyone else's language.

For example, take the New Republic Ewoks I wrote up a while ago. Perfectly reasonable creation, not unlike the Gamorean technicians (or the Gamorean scholars of the adventure creation section in R&E). But, the more I start using things I've created, the less intelligible whatever I'm talking about becomes without a bunch of scaffolding. I mean, sit down to read some of CR's extensive changes... a lot of it is an arguable improvement on the RAW, but that's a separate language you have to master to keep talking about his material.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I mean, sit down to read some of CR's extensive changes... a lot of it is an arguable improvement on the RAW, but that's a separate language you have to master to keep talking about his material.

Δεν έχω ιδέα για τι μιλάς.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I mean, sit down to read some of CR's extensive changes... a lot of it is an arguable improvement on the RAW, but that's a separate language you have to master to keep talking about his material.

See? Once he gets technical, it's all Greek to me. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

It's also about RPG's as a whole in 1987. Lots of games back then told you what professions each sentient species tended to gravitate towards, Star Wars didn't stand out at the time for doing so. I also think the percentage of a population which WEG implied leaned towards bounty hunting or whatever has been magnified in the retelling. An innocent background line like "A lot of [species] during the Clone Wars distinguished themselves as [job from movie]" gets magnified into WEG telling us that all of them do that job. But I'd have to re-read my books to be sure.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I see what you both did there. 8)

I had to use Google Translate to figure it out, but I see it. Razz
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I see what you both did there. 8)

I had to use Google Translate to figure it out, but I see it. Razz

TBH? I didn't even think about translating it. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: