The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh the movie will likely suck..... is my fear....... if anyone knows anything trailers are normally better looking then the movie.
_________________
The Empire: We'z Ownz ALL yer'z Star Destoyerz!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12160
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that trailer was rather subpar for me.
_________________
Confucious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Actually that trailer was rather subpar for me.

Which says a lot in my mind.
_________________
The Empire: We'z Ownz ALL yer'z Star Destoyerz!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5581
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzerjedi wrote:
eh the movie will likely suck..... is my fear....... if anyone knows anything trailers are normally better looking then the movie.

Interesting. If trailers normally look better than the movie, may I ask what are your favorite movies, and how you felt about the trailers compared to the films?
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KPeterson
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 13 May 2014
Posts: 25
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a neat little trailer. Not very revealing, and kind of a weird start to the trailer... but it looks like there'll be some tense scenes and some sweet spaceship dogfights in SW-VII. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Panzerjedi wrote:
eh the movie will likely suck..... is my fear....... if anyone knows anything trailers are normally better looking then the movie.

Interesting. If trailers normally look better than the movie, may I ask what are your favorite movies, and how you felt about the trailers compared to the films?

i havent been to see movie regularly in a long time, long, time, but i remember being disapointed by a number, trailer some times hype it up to to be something ya dont really see. one was godzilla 2014, nice trailer, bad movie.
_________________
The Empire: We'z Ownz ALL yer'z Star Destoyerz!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5581
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzerjedi wrote:
Whill wrote:
Panzerjedi wrote:
eh the movie will likely suck..... is my fear....... if anyone knows anything trailers are normally better looking then the movie.

Interesting. If trailers normally look better than the movie, may I ask what are your favorite movies, and how you felt about the trailers compared to the films?

i havent been to see movie regularly in a long time, long, time, but i remember being disapointed by a number, trailer some times hype it up to to be something ya dont really see. one was godzilla 2014, nice trailer, bad movie.

I don't disagree that many movies do not turn out as good as the trailer makes them look in advance. However, in my opinion there are still a significant percentage of movies that do turn out good. For those films, the trailer does not serve to provide any advance indication of whether the film will be good or bad. And you have no way of knowing if the film will be good until you see it.

Therefore, logic dictates that a movie with even an awesome trailer can still turn out good or bad when you see it. The only way I can imagine that wouldn't be true is if you feel there are no good movies at all (or at least they stopped making good movies after a certain cut-off year), which is why I asked what your favorite movies are to try to understand your association between trailers and movies. I'm assuming that even if you feel that all movies are bad nowadays, there does exist some good movies that were released in the past (I don't think you'd come to this website and be interested in WEG SW if you didn't like at least one Star Wars movie). But then again, if there are no good movies nowadays, then associating the trailer to the film is pointless. I would think you would just skip any discussion of the quality of the trailer and instead say this movie will probably be bad regardless of the trailer.

So Godzilla had a trailer that made the movie look good, but you didn't end up liking it. What was the last film you saw that was good? And how did that compare to the expectation you had from the trailer? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DougRed4
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 1803
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the trailer was pretty good, though of course it was quite short. Only 1.5 minutes, and a considerable portion of that time is actually black screen showing us nothing.

One of my beefs with trailers is when they show you too much of the movie (especially when they spoil a major portion of the plot or a twist). Another is comedies where they show you all the funny parts (I just watched "A Million Ways to Die in the West" today, for instance, and most of the funny parts were in the trailer).

That said, I see a LOT of movies. Many in the theater, and still more via cable (HBO, Starz, Encore, or on regular TV) as well as many more via Netflix or VUDU. Besides that I watch a lot of trailers. I scroll through and watch dozens of them via my On Demand service, watch them when they come out on the net, visit Traileraddict.com, and even DVR a show called "All about Trailers". All the trailer can really do is give you a taste of the flavor of a movie. So it's extremely difficult to judge the quality of the movie itself (things like the plot, editing, pacing, music, etc.). The trailer gives you a few indications of things like cinematography, but it doesn't really show you the true quality of the film itself, usually.

I'm sure there'll be a ton more for this movie as the date gets closer (it's still over a year away, in any event). Remember that they're still working on post-production, so the movie is nowhere near truly finished at this point. So it's way, way, way too early to "judge" it in any way.
_________________
Currently running Villains & Vigilantes (campaign now 24 years old), d6 Star Wars, The One Ring, and occasionally Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Volar the Healer
Jedi


Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Posts: 661
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very disappointed with the trailer. The first twelve seconds was nothing but black screen. It looked like about half the trailer was black screen. Then what? Three five second shots of three random individuals that told me absolutly nothing, followed by a shot of a Sith with a stupid sword walking through some woods in New Jersey, and three seconds of some storm troopers? Oh, and each one seperated by more black screen. What was that? Made me think this movie is going to be a flop. Maybe in a few months they'll release a trailer.
_________________
Know Jesus, Know Peace.
No Jesus, No Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Panzerjedi wrote:
Whill wrote:
Panzerjedi wrote:
eh the movie will likely suck..... is my fear....... if anyone knows anything trailers are normally better looking then the movie.

Interesting. If trailers normally look better than the movie, may I ask what are your favorite movies, and how you felt about the trailers compared to the films?

i havent been to see movie regularly in a long time, long, time, but i remember being disapointed by a number, trailer some times hype it up to to be something ya dont really see. one was godzilla 2014, nice trailer, bad movie.

I don't disagree that many movies do not turn out as good as the trailer makes them look in advance. However, in my opinion there are still a significant percentage of movies that do turn out good. For those films, the trailer does not serve to provide any advance indication of whether the film will be good or bad. And you have no way of knowing if the film will be good until you see it.

Therefore, logic dictates that a movie with even an awesome trailer can still turn out good or bad when you see it. The only way I can imagine that wouldn't be true is if you feel there are no good movies at all (or at least they stopped making good movies after a certain cut-off year), which is why I asked what your favorite movies are to try to understand your association between trailers and movies. I'm assuming that even if you feel that all movies are bad nowadays, there does exist some good movies that were released in the past (I don't think you'd come to this website and be interested in WEG SW if you didn't like at least one Star Wars movie). But then again, if there are no good movies nowadays, then associating the trailer to the film is pointless. I would think you would just skip any discussion of the quality of the trailer and instead say this movie will probably be bad regardless of the trailer.

So Godzilla had a trailer that made the movie look good, but you didn't end up liking it. What was the last film you saw that was good? And how did that compare to the expectation you had from the trailer? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.


Ghost and the Darkness... it was a good film, not what the trailer made it out to be, but good....... as for the the prequels they were hit and miss...... on one hand there was much stuff to mine for my games, on the the other, the story while not bad in its self, was executed....... poorly. another is i have a full on disney hate. so... eh.....
_________________
The Empire: We'z Ownz ALL yer'z Star Destoyerz!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
griff
Commander
Commander


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 479
Location: Tacoma, WA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove from Tacoma to north Seattle a little over forty miles, saw the trailer and had wished there was more. But principle photography only a few weeks ago, so finalshots won't be much. But with all that wasn't there LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN.

The scene with th x-wings over water, maybe Mon Cal?

The desert world if it is not tatoonie, maybe kessel?

It would be nice to see places we have heard of but not seen.
_________________
"EXECUTE ORDER 67. Wait a minute, that doesn't sound like order 67..... No, wait. Yes, yes it does. EXECUTE ORDER 68" Palpatine's last moments - robot chicken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DougRed4
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 1803
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that sandy planet was Tatooine.

I think it's cool that we see evidence of there still being symbols for each of the original "sides" of the OT (the helmet with the Rebel insignia, and of course the stormtroopers).

griff, were you a little bummed that you traveled that far, only to find the trailer was released to the public the very same day? Or was it worth it to you to see it on the big screen?
_________________
Currently running Villains & Vigilantes (campaign now 24 years old), d6 Star Wars, The One Ring, and occasionally Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
griff
Commander
Commander


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 479
Location: Tacoma, WA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forty miles throught icy roads and freezing temps(not normal for the Seattle area), a two hour wait for the penguins (i took my daughter with me), but on the big screen was totally worth it.

And yes the desert planet will more than likely be tatooine but I will be throwing out random thoughts for the next year.
_________________
"EXECUTE ORDER 67. Wait a minute, that doesn't sound like order 67..... No, wait. Yes, yes it does. EXECUTE ORDER 68" Palpatine's last moments - robot chicken.


Last edited by griff on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DougRed4
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 1803
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Forty miles throught icy roads and freezing temps(not normal for the Seattle area), a two hour wait for the penguins (i took my daughter with me), but on the bog screen was totally worth it.

And yes the desert planet will more than likely be tatooine but I will be throwing out random thoughts for the next year.


I love the Penguins, so just seeing them would be worth some of the trouble! Plus daddy/daughter time is always good! Very Happy
_________________
Currently running Villains & Vigilantes (campaign now 24 years old), d6 Star Wars, The One Ring, and occasionally Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5581
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: re: Trailer Reply with quote

This is funny, the George Lucas Special Edition of the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

If you've got 5 minutes, you've got to watch this perspective on the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9hd950-9I#t=32
"Confused? Well you'll understand in two weeks when you catch up with where I'm at."
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0