The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

inspirations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> inspirations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaytonH
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: inspirations? Reply with quote

What do you all use as inspiration for your games?

I personally have been using Interstellar and The Expanse as some motivation lately.

My list of regulars:

Farscape
Hercules the legendary journeys
Xenia

I use alot of ideas from books and video games as well but I prefer tv/movies as they seem to be self contained and have a defined start/stop as opposed to books that seem to be epics in their own right. I find books to be a good general overture of the story I am telling while being the GM but bad for actual missions.

I am not a great GM and am terribly uncreative however I am trying to improve (for 30 some years.) I have found if you just constantly change a few "facts" about whatever you are blatantly ripping off nobody ever puts it together. For the most part it comes out successful except when you get completely scatterbrained and clusterF the story/background you are typing out and confuse everybody and yourself in the process.

I have been watching a few youtube channels with GM's as well and they seem to be really intelligent and great storytellers but have little that I can actually put downrange.
ClaytonH
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for as far as roll20 goes is it pretty good for d6? I was looking at that earlier and thinking I might try to run a weekly in the same campaign that I run with my kids. For fun and to polish things off for my static RPG group when we play something other than D&D.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: inspirations? Reply with quote

ClaytonH wrote:

I personally have been using Interstellar and The Expanse as some motivation lately...

Great topic idea. And I'd love to hear more about how Interstellar is providing inspiration to your game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swipe a lot from video games: Star Wars Galaxies, The Old Republic, X-wing Alliance, Empire at War, Galactic Battlegrounds, Force Commander, Tomb Raider series, and Resident Evil. Essentially, I grab a mission or quest and expand it to act more like a TV show with more opportunities for role-playing.

TV/Movies I mine: Alien series, Terminator, Predator series, Indiana Jones series, Firefly, Farscape, Star Trek, Jurassic Park, and the original Battlestar Galactica. Sometimes it's whole scenes; other times, it's just dialog, a location, an item, or a theme.

I also like to re-purpose episodes of Rebels and The Clone Wars.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I draw most of my inspiration from books, movies, comics and even real history.

Think of a mission like the heavy water sabotage operation, a small band of commandoes forced to endure while scouting out a way to penetrate a military research facility that basically can't be stormed, and can't be bombed.

eventually they find a way, a dangrous one, they get their assualt team together from recent reinfocements, they strike, sneak about, plant the charges, sneak out and then all hell breaks out and they have to escape while being chased by enemy forces.

history is maybe of all the various scourses of inspiration where I get the most
ClaytonH
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: inspirations? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ClaytonH wrote:

I personally have been using Interstellar and The Expanse as some motivation lately...

Great topic idea. And I'd love to hear more about how Interstellar is providing inspiration to your game.

Ah, it wasn't interstellar, I will have to look at amazon again to see what I was watching. I have been playing interstellar space so that may be where the confusion came from. Interstellar the show is a dumpster fire. It was a show from 2007-2010 ish that was very similar to the expanse with higher tech but the same quality of intrigue but was cancelled after 2 seasons.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: inspirations? Reply with quote

ClaytonH wrote:
Whill wrote:
ClaytonH wrote:

Ah, it wasn't interstellar, I will have to look at amazon again to see what I was watching. I have been playing interstellar space so that may be where the confusion came from. Interstellar the show is a dumpster fire. It was a show from 2007-2010 ish that was very similar to the expanse with higher tech but the same quality of intrigue but was cancelled after 2 seasons.

Never heard of that show. I thought you were talking about the 2014 Interstellar movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: