The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A brand new D6 supplement... Galaxy Guide: The Old Republic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> A brand new D6 supplement... Galaxy Guide: The Old Republic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress Check... how is this comming along, will we have an expected ETA soon?? Very Happy
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress report!

Almost all the editing is done, and now I'm on to hunting for images for each item. I also reversed an earlier decision on equipment and included a rudimentary chapter with 30-40 pieces of starting equipment to get players going. The big equipment guide is still forthcoming though.

It was awesome to be mentioned again in the Shooting Womprats podcast! One thing they'd mentioned was the lack of a Force section, so I wanted to broach the subject again:

Basically, there are very few if any new Force powers for TOR. However, this book is intended to function as a standalone, much like the Tales of the Jedi book, which reprinted many of the basic Force powers. Having read through Forceally's excellent Force Compendium, I've noted that it's 150 pages. My options for the TOR book:

1) Print only new powers, and perhaps a primer on how the Force works.
2) Print new powers, a primer, and a LIST of other powers (but not a complete guide)
3) Reprint ALL available powers for this era. This is a true standalone guide, but will add ~120 pages to a book that is already 350. But it's the most complete.

Thoughts??
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT^^

I lied. To reprint all powers available in the TOR era would add 30-50 pages, tops, bringing the TOR guide to around 400 pages (410 with index)
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you recall the Darkstryder Campaign? The box had three books in it. One had the background story and the adventure arcs for the first part. The second had stats on the characters, vehicles, creatures, etc. Maybe you should do something like that. You have the main book. Then you have a follow-up that deals with the Force. I do think though that you should publish everything at the same time.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
I lied. To reprint all powers available in the TOR era would add 30-50 pages, tops, bringing the TOR guide to around 400 pages (410 with index)

If that is the case and hopefully to have as much as possible in one place I think I would add it. The book is a stand alone, your going to want to keep as many extra books out of the mix as possible and still keep the book at a reasonable count.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
EDIT^^

Oh wow, what TOR powers did you decide to convert? I started digging through wikis and the mechanics seemed to be either repeats of what we had or REALLY hard to represent in a pen and paper game.

Granted, the wiki I was looking at was really funky, so I might have missed something... or a lot. Smile
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I should have clarified -

Forceally's Compendium includes maybe 3-4 powers from TOR (Forcewalking, some Voss mystic stuff), but also runs the gamut of Dathomirian Nightsisters and other obscure force magic.

If I cut out all the ancillary stuff (obscure shamanism), and limit to ONLY the default powers available at the time (most of which are reprints from 2ERE - Affect Mind, Concentration, etc), it's about 30-50 pages. But very little is new, it's just edited down to what's available at the time.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummm.... i'd keep to whats available in the period... buut sprinkle a few, just a few new ones in, in force powers.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mojomoe with the new storyline that was introduced on 12-5 what are you going to do? I would suggest just pressing on unless you think the additional information will not ruin your current layout. Could release that storyline and information as a much smaller companion book later.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
So Mojomoe with the new storyline that was introduced on 12-5 what are you going to do? I would suggest just pressing on unless you think the additional information will not ruin your current layout. Could release that storyline and information as a much smaller companion book later.

Hmm... maybe we need a new embedded reporter. Sign up for an account Daniel, play through the new story, and live stream your screen cap!

Though seriously, with an ongoing game, there is no way to avoid the fact that something will continue to develop on top of what you've already written. If it wasn't released the 5th, it would have been release sometime later. I don't know if a smaller splatbook covering the new material would be in Mojome's vision, but it would certainly be more than WEG or WotC ever did in their forays into continually expanding materials. That is to say, the TOTJ Companion was a document of its day, and was never revsitied as more comics came out, or was the New Jedi Order Sourcebook, or the Clone Wars Campaign Guide.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Though I really like the idea of continued expansion statbooks.

The funny thing was, I set out to initially document literally every item and being in the game. Even thought I had it in hand too. However, by the time if statted all ~60-70 creatures, I found a list of TWENTY more. They had literally produced content faster than I could stat it! And don't get me started on the TENS OF THOUSANDS of weapons and armor Smile. At that point I decided that 90% coverage was better than an ever-expanding book that never releases.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I know lol, I haven't played MMO but have herd about the crapload of weapons/armor
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm going to propose something radical -

If I were to include and promote a quick saber combat/saber forms/saber construction system in the Force section, are there any that have strong fan support? Or are they all just variants?

Does anything really stand above the rest and add something?
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a solid saber form rubric that I think really works for D6.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we see this by the holidays as planned? How goes the Picture hunt?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: