The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Heroes and Rogues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Heroes and Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Heroes and Rogues Reply with quote

On page 202 of the R&E corebook, I noticed that it has some advice on playing Imperial games and mentions a supplement called Heroes and Rogues. Does anyone have this book who posts here? If so, would they be willing to comment on it?

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be getting it in a few weeks, hopefully. I'll comment on it then.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a book chock full of Templates. Good read, but most of the comments on the alternative character histories are self-explanitory for experienced ROLE players.

Basically, the Empire's Citizens aren't wholely evil, even if the Empire is. There are basic, decent people, even Tie Fighter Pilots and Imperial Army Troopers. They're just defending their family in their minds, that sort of thing.

It's a good grab if you're hunting for character ideas, or have a GM that only allows character creation from Templates.

Most are fairly good ideas, but some are right funny... And my GM won't let me play 'em. (Including an insane Jedi Wannabe.).
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, not only for character ideas (I don't think I'd ever really use a template outright) but the first chapter (Character Development) is very good for fleshing out who your character was before the game. It includes things to consider like homeworld (with capsules on a good number of famous homeworlds), family, growing up, past occupations, romance, significant events, friends, rivals, etc.

Basically I think it's a gread resource for character ideas!
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the comments. I was hoping it had some rules for tweaking some mechanics slightly for playing darker characters than usual (something I'd also hoped from the Lords of the Expanse set) but I guess not. I'm already set for character ideas. Smile

I guess I'll be passing this by for other things. I still have to track down the all-elusive Galaxy Guide 6 (revised). *sigh*

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not so fast... there are about 10-11 pages before the "Imperial" templates talking about roleplaying Imperials... if that's what you're looking for. Sorry if this complicates things.

Hey if anybody else has H&R, look at the picture on page 40. Doesn't the guy on the right kneeling before the governor kinda look like a fat Qui-Gon Jinn?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the book, and I've written a review of it over at my website. I like the book, and find it useful for both new, as well as experienced GMs to look at. You can find my review of the book at http://www.geocities.com/grimace997/StarWars/hero.html

Mind you, you're going to have to do some tweaking of the rules in Star Wars if you plan on running a dark side game, as the game wasn't originally designed to be played that way. People are supposed to play the "good guys", not the bad guys.

Hope this helps.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grimace. I'd like to note about your review of the Death Star Technical Companion though:

The main use I have for it isn't NPCs, it's the station layouts. As the book helpfully notes, almost all Imperial installations use modular pre-fab designs and the Death Star is no different. You can easily lift whole map sections and use them for your local planetary garrison, for example.

I basically use the book as my own "build your own Imperial base toolkit." Smile

I have Star Wars stuff!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that RedFox. And really not just for imperial base, any official building could be conceived as a variant of those maps.
Just the other adventure I used the Sublight Drive Station as a Coruscant Planetary Shield Operating Room and it worked wonderfully.

This is one of the most misleading books around. At first I thought "What the hell am I supposed to do with a book that details the Death Star?!" But it proved very useful for bothe the good maps and the plethora of imperial personell.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got heroes and rogues last year. Primarily for a few of the templates in there, and the character expanded backround generator in there. But all of it is great. Especially the sectoin on rping imperials... well IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: