The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's do Star Wars comic books!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Let's do Star Wars comic books! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2015 Marvel SW #1 (minor spoiler) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Whill wrote:
I'm definitely going to buy the new Marvel Star Wars #1 next month, but it's going to have to be pretty good for me to continue collecting it after that.

I went to my FLGS/CS Wednesday after work and picked up the new Star Wars #1. It is an action filled story with pretty good artwork. (Spoilers...) Ugh.

Whill!!!!!! Spoilers man, somebody here might not have read that comic yet!

I started off with the Star Wars comics in the 70s, I remember the one with Jaxxon, another with Valance and the time that the Jawas found Boba Fett and thought he was a droid...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Subject to my post and yours above. I did post "minor spoiler" there. But I can see that you didn't see that, so I do apologize. I don't mind putting the warning in the body of the post too. I went back and edited it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel SW Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
I started off with the Star Wars comics in the 70s, I remember... the time that the Jawas found Boba Fett and thought he was a droid...

Was that the post-RotJ story where Fett escapes the Sarlaac only to be dumped back in it at the end? I remember it having something to do with Jawas but it's very vague.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel SW Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Bobmalooga wrote:
I started off with the Star Wars comics in the 70s, I remember... the time that the Jawas found Boba Fett and thought he was a droid...

Was that the post-RotJ story where Fett escapes the Sarlaac only to be dumped back in it at the end? I remember it having something to do with Jawas but it's very vague.

That's the one...
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2015 Marvel SW #1 (minor spoiler) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And the story canon group is being vague about timeline placement with these new comics and novels taking place in between ANH and TESB. This time period was always a chaotic continuity cesspool in the EU, and now they seem to be making all the same mistakes of the EU when this is their chance to do things right this time. Ugh.

Without having read the comic, and without repeating your spoiler,

[in an abundance of caution]

your interpretation sounds pretty spot on. At the very least, one would think that they wouldn't undermine pretty obvious aspects of a canon film, and as you say that one thing is a real important story point for ESB. (Notwithstanding, of course, that Splinter undermined it too, right?).
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splinter and the original Marvel comic confrontations came out before TESB, so they only undermined TESB later when they were retroactively awarded C-canon status and designated an official part of the EU. Now was their chance to not repeat the mistakes of the past, but it appears Disneyfilm's story canon group is equally blowing it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Splinter and the original Marvel comic confrontations came out before TESB, so they only undermined TESB later when they were retroactively awarded C-canon status and designated an official part of the EU. Now was their chance to not repeat the mistakes of the past, but it appears Disneyfilm's story canon group is equally blowing it.

Elevating Splinter was kind of a weird choice; I'm reading "Secret History" right now and he hasn't said anything about that retcon. As I noted in your fiction thread I never made it very far into Splinter.

It will indeed be interesting to see what else they pick up, and what else they run over, from the other six films.s
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the comic, as I find that artist, John Cassaday, to be brilliant at cinematic scenes.

SPOILERS BELOW:

The story was decent, but I too was wondering about the bit with Vader. Who knows, though, we haven't seen how it's resolved. And Vader clearly doesn't know who Luke is yet...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh... SPOILER ALERT

Although how you haven't already spoiled Splinter of the Mind's Eye for yourself, I just don't know...

Interesting fan theory about SOTME:

Palpatine had secretly grown multiple clones of Vader. For his own twisted reasons, Palpatine tortured the first clone so badly that it had to wear a life support suit just like Vader's. He subsequently sent that same clone on the mission to Circarpous, where he encountered and was defeated by Luke Skywalker. Meanwhile, the real Vader discovered Palpatine's clone program and, in a towering rage, killed all of the remaining clones, most of which were still growing in the cloning tanks.

I like this theory a lot, since I enjoyed Splinter of the Mind's Eye a great deal, and this theory ties up nearly all of the loose ends that are needed to fit the novel back in with the canon, including how "Vader" didn't know who Luke was, and was weak enough in the Force that Luke could defeat him even prior to training with Yoda.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(ISSUE #2 SPOILERS)

I haven't read either issue yet, but I assume the preview pages for #2 are the reason for all the SOTME talk, but...

I'm really not cool with the confrontation taking place in those preview pages taking place in this timeline, or the amount of information spilled there. SOMTE had the excuse of TESB not having come out yet- this series has no such excuse, and none of this feels like things that actually could have taken place when you watch the tone of the confrontation is ESB. Worse, the voices of the characters are off- neither participant sounds like their movie selves at all. And someone was watching a bunch of prequels before writing the dialogue... because 'Master Kenobi' may be how a PT padawan would refer to him, but to Luke, he is ever and only 'Ben.' The wrong-style invokation here just adds to the 'this is not how Luke talks' vibe... though the artwork is quite good!

Hard core OT, all the way!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS...

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
none of this feels like things that actually could have taken place when you watch the tone of the confrontation is ESB. Worse, the voices of the characters are off- neither participant sounds like their movie selves at all. And someone was watching a bunch of prequels before writing the dialogue... because 'Master Kenobi' may be how a PT padawan would refer to him, but to Luke, he is ever and only 'Ben.' The wrong-style invokation here just adds to the 'this is not how Luke talks' vibe... though the artwork is quite good!

I agree with every word!

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I'm really not cool with the confrontation taking place in those preview pages taking place in this timeline, or the amount of information spilled there. SOMTE had the excuse of TESB not having come out yet- this series has no such excuse

I agree that at the time of its release, SotME had the excuse of TESB not having come out yet. Like I said earlier in the thread, the first inexcusable thing was in the 90s (long after the classic films) when the EU was formed, SotME was retroactively designated as canon, when not everything that had been released before was made canon (for example, at the time, the beloved original Marvel SW comic series was not made canon while SotME was). That was a mistake then because they very easily could have just said, No SotME is not canon.

But that was yesterday's mistake because the entire EU was categorically demoted from the new canon. So they have removed old contradicting continuity just to replace it with new contradictory continuity. They just haven't learned, SMH.

crmcneill wrote:
Interesting fan theory about SOTME:

Palpatine had secretly grown multiple clones of Vader. For his own twisted reasons, Palpatine tortured the first clone so badly that it had to wear a life support suit just like Vader's. He subsequently sent that same clone on the mission to Circarpous, where he encountered and was defeated by Luke Skywalker. Meanwhile, the real Vader discovered Palpatine's clone program and, in a towering rage, killed all of the remaining clones, most of which were still growing in the cloning tanks.

I like this theory a lot, since I enjoyed Splinter of the Mind's Eye a great deal, and this theory ties up nearly all of the loose ends that are needed to fit the novel back in with the canon, including how "Vader" didn't know who Luke was, and was weak enough in the Force that Luke could defeat him even prior to training with Yoda.

So, if you ignore the original Marvel SW comic series, this Vader-clone thing does restore TESB as the first time Luke confronts the (real) Vader.

Since you like SotME, I'm curious how is it that Leia doesn't know how to swim but Luke does? They have bodies of water on Alderaan. They do not on Tatooine. That didn't even make sense in 1978.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Luke is a moisture farmer, he just learned to swim in the Larrs family moisture silo. Leia... Um, give me a sec... The Hair! She spent so much time on elaborate hair styles, that she wasn't about to take part in a leisure activity that would mess it up!
Best I got. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Since you like SotME, I'm curious how is it that Leia doesn't know how to swim but Luke does? They have bodies of water on Alderaan. They do not on Tatooine. That didn't even make sense in 1978.

Hey, I never said it cleared everything up. If I had to come up with an answer, I'd say that Luke had to at least learn the basics of swimming as a pilot during escape and evasion training.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Simplicity itself: these were actually Luke and Leia clones, too. (From different batches, of course). There were, in fact, no OT characters actually in SOTME; even the droids were copies built out of old hard-drive backups. Very Happy This special Rebllion decoy team was designed to draw the heat off of our heroes... but they didn't count on the fact that the Empire had the same idea! Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI guys, there's an easy way to do spoilers. Highlight below to read:

If you look at the top of your post, just below the {B} {i} and {u} buttons, there is a Font colour: If you change it to white, you have to highlight the text in order for the spoiler to become visible on the forum's default white background.

Just thought that might help. If not, then do what you were doing before. Smile

Highlight above to read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: