The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's do Star Wars comic books!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Let's do Star Wars comic books! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 658
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what issue and year, but I remember one scene from one story from comic book like it is tattooed to my memories.

WHat ever the story was about, it was a story involving Leia and a stormtrooper that happened not only to come from Alderaan, but the trooper actually had a rock from the then destroyed aldreaan as an amulet or necklace and this necklace was part of the scene between him and leia.

I wish i knew what issue it was, and could read it again.

All i can think of is it was old, early 80s sometime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanDarkstar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 117
Location: Chambersburg, PA, USA, Earth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I wish i knew what issue it was, and could read it again.


Star Wars #86: The Alderaan Factor

_________________
Currently playing AD&D 5E, The Old Republic, Neverwinter and Star Trek Online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5596
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
it was a story involving Leia and a stormtrooper that happened not only to come from Alderaan, but the trooper actually had a rock from the then destroyed aldreaan
RyanDarkstar wrote:
Star Wars #86: The Alderaan Factor

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Unidentified_Alderaanian_stormtrooper

Whoa, an Alderaanian Stormtrooper TIE Pilot!
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 984
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:


Whoa, an Alderaanian Stormtrooper TIE Pilot!


What, you can't multi-class in the EU?!? Laughing
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5596
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
Whoa, an Alderaanian Stormtrooper TIE Pilot!

What, you can't multi-class in the EU?!? Laughing

Apparently you can. I have just never heard of this character, or at least have no memory of him if I did read that comic in my childhood. I usually had to go with my mom on the weekly trips to the grocery store and it was the routine for me to go straight to the comic rack where I read as many comics as I could before she was done shopping, because we never bought any comics. I do not remember this issue.

The character sounds kinda like a PC that a player might want to make: A former stormtrooper/TIE pilot from Alderaan who deserted the Empire after Alderaan was destroyed (A player in my very first campaign played a retired Imperial captain from Alderaan). I think that by my teen years when I started playing this game, I probably would have said no the character having been both a stormtrooper and a TIE pilot - I probably would have told the player to pick one. Of course that was pre-EU and even when the EU formed, the Marvel comic was left out of it at first. I remember my first campaign players and I reminiscing one time about silly stuff we remembered from the comics (and the Droids and Ewok cartoons).

Now, if the player came up with a plausible explanation for how his PC had been both, I may allow the player to sell me on the concept.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 658
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Awesome gusy, yes this seems like the comic i was thinking about, very very cool and thanks a lot to you all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5596
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Darth Vader: Burning Seas [comic] Reply with quote

I deleted this post from above in the thread to not break up the other conversation and reposted it here. More spoilers...

Sutehp wrote:
Tangentially related question: In the story, does Vader actually rise up out of the water like that or is it another case of Covers Always Lie? Because I'd figure that with all the electrically powered life-support systems in Vader's armor keeping him alive, he wouldn't do so well in water. Then again, we did see Artoo get fully immersed in water at Dagobah's swamp and was none the worse for wear after that. If a droid like Artoo could survive that with no ill effects, then Vader's suit likely would too...

No, Vader doesn't rise out of the water like that, but he was fully submerged against his will and he was fine, although it was not at a high pressure depth.

The reason Vader got his iconic appearance is because the original film's script had some stormtroopers and Vader invading Leia's captured ship without showing how they transitioned between vessels, and concept artist Ralph McQuarrie envisioned Vader as having a spacesuit. In his view, stormtrooper armor could function as a spacesuit, and they all just floated between ships then blasted their way in. Lucas had envisioned a docking tube with a universal airlock but thought it was better not to show it, but then when he saw art he loved it and Vader's normal everyday costume was based on the "spacesuit" version of the character. (And stormtroopers were shown standing on the outside of the Death Star later in the film.) Vader's breathing was added for effect without any explanation for why he wears the suit and breathes like that all the time.

In the final battle of the film, TIE fighter pilots were shown wearing full body spacesuits suggesting they do not have an artificial atmosphere in the cockpit like the Rebel starfighters do, but Vader appears to wear the same suit he always does with no additional gear visible. It is not an unreasonable presumption that Vader's suit is likewise spaceworthy until his air supply runs out. Rebel pilot suits are presumably able to become spacesuits in an emergency where breathable atmosphere runs out or they have to eject. (I always envisioned the pilot suits are self-sealing - The collars open up and something pops out to seal up the open parts of the helmet.) The chest device on Vader's suit is similar to the Rebel pilot suit chest pieces. In the same TESB scene you refer to where Artoo is submerged in swamp water and swallowed by a monster, Luke jumps into the water after he gets out of his ship and his pilot's suit chest piece is fully submerged. I feel it does not seem too much of a stretch for Vader's suit to be submersible at shallow depths. The SW cartoons and comics even have lightsabers functional underwater!

Sutehp wrote:
But yeah, having Ackbar reduced to an extra in Raddus' shadow disappoints me as well. Raddus was awesome, but Ackbar (IMHO) was a greater character and seeing him playing second fiddle (even to Raddus) is a bit of a letdown.

To be fair, Ackbar is in the story more than Raddus. Ackbar continues his role from TCB as the king's chief of security (until the end where the king is imprisoned by the Empire and Ackbar escapes with Raddus). In the story, Ackbar is ranked Commander while Raddus is already ranked Admiral. Ackbar presumably wasn't a Rebel admiral until after Raddus' death or Ackbar would have been in Rogue One. Raddus seems to be the Admiral of the Fleet in RO, which was Ackbar's same position several years later in RotJ. Raddus is logically a little older than Ackbar, so I find that I wasn't bothered by Raddus' superiority to Ackbar. It makes sense in the timeline. There are both very important characters to film continuity, and honestly I would have liked both characters to have been used more in this story than they were.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 658
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
Whoa, an Alderaanian Stormtrooper TIE Pilot!

What, you can't multi-class in the EU?!? Laughing

Apparently you can. I have just never heard of this character, or at least have no memory of him if I did read that comic in my childhood. I usually had to go with my mom on the weekly trips to the grocery store and it was the routine for me to go straight to the comic rack where I read as many comics as I could before she was done shopping, because we never bought any comics. I do not remember this issue.

The character sounds kinda like a PC that a player might want to make: A former stormtrooper/TIE pilot from Alderaan who deserted the Empire after Alderaan was destroyed (A player in my very first campaign played a retired Imperial captain from Alderaan). I think that by my teen years when I started playing this game, I probably would have said no the character having been both a stormtrooper and a TIE pilot - I probably would have told the player to pick one. Of course that was pre-EU and even when the EU formed, the Marvel comic was left out of it at first. I remember my first campaign players and I reminiscing one time about silly stuff we remembered from the comics (and the Droids and Ewok cartoons).

Now, if the player came up with a plausible explanation for how his PC had been both, I may allow the player to sell me on the concept.



But isn't actually TIEfighter pilots really "nothing more" than specialized stormtroopers.
What few legends and eu books that delve into "training" or Stromtrooper "skill packs" often include piloting to at least a well trained level, as well as walker and speeder piloting etc.

To me it seems, and here i can be way off, that both the tie fighters and the stormtroopers hve the same basic trianing, leaning the basic skills that include basic combat, as well as piloting, and then later specialize to their "named job"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5596
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
But isn't actually TIEfighter pilots really "nothing more" than specialized stormtroopers.
What few legends and eu books that delve into "training" or Stromtrooper "skill packs" often include piloting to at least a well trained level, as well as walker and speeder piloting etc.

To me it seems, and here i can be way off, that both the tie fighters and the stormtroopers hve the same basic trianing, leaning the basic skills that include basic combat, as well as piloting, and then later specialize to their "named job"

I agree TIE pilots and stormtroopers would have some similar or same basic training in common, but I would think the Empire military machine would be good enough at identifying potentials in candidates and direct them to one or the other. If a stormtrooper candidate shows good enough piloting potential they would be moved to the naval academy before they would become a stormtrooper. I personally don't see someone being assigned to one, serve for a while in one, and then "transfer" to the other.

It also depends on your concept for stormtroopers. In my SWU they stopped being exclusively clones but were still raised from a very young age to be stormtroopers not unlike the Republic clonetroopers, the Jedi, and First Order stormtroopers. If a stormtrooper shows mechanical aptitude, they might be directed into the specializations that need that like scout troopers or patrol troopers. In my SWU, the Imperial naval academy doesn't start until adulthood (maybe as low as age 16 for humans) like Biggs, so potential TIE pilots would already be too old to begin training as stormtroopers.

Now I can see a stormtrooper/TIE pilot as more likely in the post-RotJ setting when the Empire is cast into chaos, but I'm not concerned with that setting right now. If another GM wants to have a stormtrooper TIE pilot in the Dark Times or Classic Rebellion Era, more power to them.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 658
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Will.

My point in the same training, is that while you are correct imo about the candidate being sent to flight school, this in now way barrs the trooper or even troopers to have some skills in piloting, setting them above the "common" trooper, but still they are not actual pilots, to me in this particular story it seems the stormies did in dee know how to plit and fly a tie, but they were not "pilots" but from the looks of things, simply "rplacement" or reserve pilots if needed.

I can see it reasonable that in a SW setting, where "everyone" knows basic flying, that some may have a knack for flying but performing much better as a trooper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 658
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something is wrong here my prior post was filed 3 times, and i have no option to delete it as i can't delete a post that i respond to or something, ??????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5596
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
something is wrong here my prior post was filed 3 times, and i have no option to delete it as i can't delete a post that i respond to or something, ??????

You can only delete a post if there are no replies to it yet. So you could have deleted the oldest post first, and then after that was gone the second post (new oldest post) leaving the original post only. It won't let you delete any post that already has a reply after it. Admins and mods can delete any post, so I took care of it. No problem.

Mamatried wrote:
My point in the same training, is that while you are correct imo about the candidate being sent to flight school, this in now way barrs the trooper or even troopers to have some skills in piloting, setting them above the "common" trooper, but still they are not actual pilots, to me in this particular story it seems the stormies did in dee know how to plit and fly a tie, but they were not "pilots" but from the looks of things, simply "rplacement" or reserve pilots if needed.

I can see it reasonable that in a SW setting, where "everyone" knows basic flying, that some may have a knack for flying but performing much better as a trooper.

That makes sense.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 984
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only special forces would get any sort of meaningful cross training, because of the effort and cost involved. While Stormtroopers and some Imperial Army infantry might have a bit of repulsorlift or ground vehicle training, I don't see them having much idea about piloting, just because it's complicated. The same would hold true for pilots.

Really I only see Royal Guards, Storm Commandos, and the various intelligence agents having any real idea of how to fly in combat, because they might have to (well, the Royal Guards will anyway).
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12213
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty stand-offish about new Disney comics material, but I have to say that two characters have made me reconsider this: 0-0-0 and BT-1. They are, essentially, the evil twins of Artoo and Threepio. Admittedly, my rather warped sense of humor makes me appreciate them a bit more, but a lot of the things these two pull off are just laugh-out-loud funny. Thoughts?
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 984
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore those two. Triple Zero and BeeTee are my favorites and a big reason for the Doctor Aphra title's success. They're an even more entertaining outgrowth of what began with HK-47 and a true pleasure to read.

EDIT: I see Hasbro is releasing these two as action figures this Spring. Going to buy them.
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0