The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's do Star Wars comic books!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Let's do Star Wars comic books! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Awesome gusy, yes this seems like the comic i was thinking about, very very cool and thanks a lot to you all
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Darth Vader: Burning Seas [comic] Reply with quote

More spoilers...

Sutehp wrote:
Tangentially related question: In the story, does Vader actually rise up out of the water like that or is it another case of Covers Always Lie? Because I'd figure that with all the electrically powered life-support systems in Vader's armor keeping him alive, he wouldn't do so well in water. Then again, we did see Artoo get fully immersed in water at Dagobah's swamp and was none the worse for wear after that. If a droid like Artoo could survive that with no ill effects, then Vader's suit likely would too...

No, Vader doesn't rise out of the water like that, but he was fully submerged against his will and he was fine, although it was not at a high pressure depth.

The reason Vader got his iconic appearance is because the original film's script had some stormtroopers and Vader invading Leia's captured ship without showing how they transitioned between vessels, and concept artist Ralph McQuarrie envisioned Vader as having a spacesuit. In his view, stormtrooper armor could function as a spacesuit, and they all just floated between ships then blasted their way in. Lucas had envisioned a docking tube with a universal airlock but thought it was better not to show it, but then when he saw art he loved it and Vader's normal everyday costume was based on the "spacesuit" version of the character. (And stormtroopers were shown standing on the outside of the Death Star later in the film.) Vader's breathing was added for effect without any explanation for why he wears the suit and breathes like that all the time.

In the final battle of the film, TIE fighter pilots were shown wearing full body spacesuits suggesting they do not have an artificial atmosphere in the cockpit like the Rebel starfighters do, but Vader appears to wear the same suit he always does with no additional gear visible. It is not an unreasonable presumption that Vader's suit is likewise spaceworthy until his air supply runs out. Rebel pilot suits are presumably able to become spacesuits in an emergency where breathable atmosphere runs out or they have to eject. (I always envisioned the pilot suits are self-sealing - The collars open up and something pops out to seal up the open parts of the helmet.) The chest device on Vader's suit is similar to the Rebel pilot suit chest pieces. In the same TESB scene you refer to where Artoo is submerged in swamp water and swallowed by a monster, Luke jumps into the water after he gets out of his ship and his pilot's suit chest piece is fully submerged. I feel it does not seem too much of a stretch for Vader's suit to be submersible at shallow depths. The SW cartoons and comics even have lightsabers functional underwater!

Sutehp wrote:
But yeah, having Ackbar reduced to an extra in Raddus' shadow disappoints me as well. Raddus was awesome, but Ackbar (IMHO) was a greater character and seeing him playing second fiddle (even to Raddus) is a bit of a letdown.

To be fair, Ackbar is in the story more than Raddus. Ackbar continues his role from TCB as the king's chief of security (until the end where the king is imprisoned by the Empire and Ackbar escapes with Raddus). In the story, Ackbar is ranked Commander while Raddus is already ranked Admiral. Ackbar presumably wasn't a Rebel admiral until after Raddus' death or Ackbar would have been in Rogue One. Raddus seems to be the Admiral of the Fleet in RO, which was Ackbar's same position several years later in RotJ. Raddus is logically a little older than Ackbar, so I find that I wasn't bothered by Raddus' superiority to Ackbar. It makes sense in the timeline. There are both very important characters to film continuity, and honestly I would have liked both characters to have been used more in this story than they were.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
Whoa, an Alderaanian Stormtrooper TIE Pilot!

What, you can't multi-class in the EU?!? Laughing

Apparently you can. I have just never heard of this character, or at least have no memory of him if I did read that comic in my childhood. I usually had to go with my mom on the weekly trips to the grocery store and it was the routine for me to go straight to the comic rack where I read as many comics as I could before she was done shopping, because we never bought any comics. I do not remember this issue.

The character sounds kinda like a PC that a player might want to make: A former stormtrooper/TIE pilot from Alderaan who deserted the Empire after Alderaan was destroyed (A player in my very first campaign played a retired Imperial captain from Alderaan). I think that by my teen years when I started playing this game, I probably would have said no the character having been both a stormtrooper and a TIE pilot - I probably would have told the player to pick one. Of course that was pre-EU and even when the EU formed, the Marvel comic was left out of it at first. I remember my first campaign players and I reminiscing one time about silly stuff we remembered from the comics (and the Droids and Ewok cartoons).

Now, if the player came up with a plausible explanation for how his PC had been both, I may allow the player to sell me on the concept.

But isn't actually TIEfighter pilots really "nothing more" than specialized stormtroopers.
What few legends and eu books that delve into "training" or Stromtrooper "skill packs" often include piloting to at least a well trained level, as well as walker and speeder piloting etc.

To me it seems, and here i can be way off, that both the tie fighters and the stormtroopers hve the same basic trianing, leaning the basic skills that include basic combat, as well as piloting, and then later specialize to their "named job"
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
But isn't actually TIEfighter pilots really "nothing more" than specialized stormtroopers.
What few legends and eu books that delve into "training" or Stromtrooper "skill packs" often include piloting to at least a well trained level, as well as walker and speeder piloting etc.

To me it seems, and here i can be way off, that both the tie fighters and the stormtroopers hve the same basic trianing, leaning the basic skills that include basic combat, as well as piloting, and then later specialize to their "named job"

I agree TIE pilots and stormtroopers would have some similar or same basic training in common, but I would think the Empire military machine would be good enough at identifying potentials in candidates and direct them to one or the other. If a stormtrooper candidate shows good enough piloting potential they would be moved to the naval academy before they would become a stormtrooper. I personally don't see someone being assigned to one, serve for a while in one, and then "transfer" to the other.

It also depends on your concept for stormtroopers. In my SWU they stopped being exclusively clones but were still raised from a very young age to be stormtroopers not unlike the Republic clonetroopers, the Jedi, and First Order stormtroopers. If a stormtrooper shows mechanical aptitude, they might be directed into the specializations that need that like scout troopers or patrol troopers. In my SWU, the Imperial naval academy doesn't start until adulthood (maybe as low as age 16 for humans) like Biggs, so potential TIE pilots would already be too old to begin training as stormtroopers.

Now I can see a stormtrooper/TIE pilot as more likely in the post-RotJ setting when the Empire is cast into chaos, but I'm not concerned with that setting right now. If another GM wants to have a stormtrooper TIE pilot in the Dark Times or Classic Rebellion Era, more power to them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Will.

My point in the same training, is that while you are correct imo about the candidate being sent to flight school, this in now way barrs the trooper or even troopers to have some skills in piloting, setting them above the "common" trooper, but still they are not actual pilots, to me in this particular story it seems the stormies did in dee know how to plit and fly a tie, but they were not "pilots" but from the looks of things, simply "rplacement" or reserve pilots if needed.

I can see it reasonable that in a SW setting, where "everyone" knows basic flying, that some may have a knack for flying but performing much better as a trooper.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something is wrong here my prior post was filed 3 times, and i have no option to delete it as i can't delete a post that i respond to or something, ??????
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
something is wrong here my prior post was filed 3 times, and i have no option to delete it as i can't delete a post that i respond to or something, ??????

You can only delete a post if there are no replies to it yet. So you could have deleted the oldest post first, and then after that was gone the second post (new oldest post) leaving the original post only. It won't let you delete any post that already has a reply after it (so you have to delete them in reverse-order). Admins and mods can delete any post, so I took care of it. No problem.

Mamatried wrote:
My point in the same training, is that while you are correct imo about the candidate being sent to flight school, this in now way barrs the trooper or even troopers to have some skills in piloting, setting them above the "common" trooper, but still they are not actual pilots, to me in this particular story it seems the stormies did in dee know how to plit and fly a tie, but they were not "pilots" but from the looks of things, simply "rplacement" or reserve pilots if needed.

I can see it reasonable that in a SW setting, where "everyone" knows basic flying, that some may have a knack for flying but performing much better as a trooper.

That makes sense.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only special forces would get any sort of meaningful cross training, because of the effort and cost involved. While Stormtroopers and some Imperial Army infantry might have a bit of repulsorlift or ground vehicle training, I don't see them having much idea about piloting, just because it's complicated. The same would hold true for pilots.

Really I only see Royal Guards, Storm Commandos, and the various intelligence agents having any real idea of how to fly in combat, because they might have to (well, the Royal Guards will anyway).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty stand-offish about new Disney comics material, but I have to say that two characters have made me reconsider this: 0-0-0 and BT-1. They are, essentially, the evil twins of Artoo and Threepio. Admittedly, my rather warped sense of humor makes me appreciate them a bit more, but a lot of the things these two pull off are just laugh-out-loud funny. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore those two. Triple Zero and BeeTee are my favorites and a big reason for the Doctor Aphra title's success. They're an even more entertaining outgrowth of what began with HK-47 and a true pleasure to read.

EDIT: I see Hasbro is releasing these two as action figures this Spring. Going to buy them.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Marvel Star Wars: Mutiny at Mon Cala (spoilers) Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187806#187806
https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187836#187836

Comic book spoilers below.

After completing the comic story of the subjugation of Mon Cala one year after RotS, I discovered that the current Marvel Star Wars main title had a story arc showing how the Rebel Fleet gained the Mon Cal star cruisers one year after ANH, and this arc was also compiled into a trade paperback so I bought it.

The premise is that after the Mon Cala king was imprisoned, the sector was forced into the Empire, and Mon Cala planet began producing parts for the Imperial War machine, the Empire allowed "Mon Cala Mercantile Fleet" to continue operating as the (demilitarized) "Mon Cala Imperial Trade Fleet" so they could make "war reparations" to the Empire (apparently "owed" to the Empire for their rebellion in 18 BBY). The Grand Admiral of the Mon Cala mercantile fleet was also considered to be the regent representing the Calamarian throne during the king's absence. Ackbar is already in the Alliance at this point. The Heroes of Yavin are shown going on Special Ops type of missions, in this one trying to convince the mercantile fleet grand admiral to throw his support in to the Rebellion, the Alliance really needing the Mon Cal star cruisers. He said he could only do that with the support of the king, so of course the heroes have to break into a maximum security prison. But first they have to break into a different prison to enlist the aid of an incarcerated changeling con man to pose as the Moff of the Calamari Sector at a public event (coached by Threepio), while the heroes capture the real Moff and use him to break in. They find the king and see he is barely kept alive by life support and dying. They can't free him without killing him so Leia gets the king to record a message, completed just as stormtroopers rush in and shoot at everyone, missing the heroes but killing the king and their own moff (oops). The heroes get the message (which includes the king's death) back to the regent admiral guy, but he refuses help them without the king, stating they are doomed to fail. But after the heroes give up and leave, the regent changes his mind and broadcasts the message to entire system, which sacrifices his life after Imperials come in and kill him for it. The message simultaneously reaches the star destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers. The Calamarians are inspired to rebel, subduing all the Imperials on board their ships and sparking a space battle between hardly armed Mon Cal cruisers and the Empire, and the heroes on the Falcon are of course in the middle of it. The Mon Cal ships try to escape but are blocked. Ackbar leads a Rebel attack force that arrives out of hyperspace to help and the battle really begins. One of the Mon Cala trade cruisers is hauling a full load of coaxium and they sacrifice themselves by charging into some Imperials in an exit corridor which light up the MC ship before realizing which ship that was. The coaxium epically explodes taking out a star destroyer and creating a hole for the remaining ships of the Rebel and Mon Cal trade fleets to escape.

I had thought this was the story of Mon Cala overthrowing the Empire on their planet, but the planet seems to still be under Imperial control at the end of the story. This is the story of how the Rebel Fleet begins to take its shape as it appears in RotJ, even though no Mon Cal cruisers appear at the end of TESB. The artist's strength is in making the film characters really have the facial likeness of their actors. The Rebel base scene featured all of the surviving leaders from RO intermingled with the ANH generals. Some of the Rebel pilots from TESB appear in the story too. The non-film characters are pretty well-drawn too, but overall I didn't enjoy the art quite as much as the art in the Burning Seas story. Overall this comic was ok, better than the Burning Seas story.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel Star Wars: Mutiny at Mon Cala (spoilers) Reply with quote

http://web.archive.org/web/20180309215519/https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-kieron-gillen-interview-rebel-alliance-admiral-ackbar/

Here is a good interview with the author of the arc of the above post.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else reading the Age of Rebellion miniseries?

The Tarkin issue gives some spectacular insight into his youth and the Yoda cover has three short tales about IG-88 (great!), Yoda (pretty good!), and Biggs and Porkins on shore leave (thoughtful and funny). Really looking forward to the upcoming Han & Boba issues.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 5 issue TIE Fighter limited series started out well. I like the concept and am interested about the Alphabet Fighters crossover novel. Anyone else read it?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Anyone else reading the Age of Rebellion miniseries?

No, I hadn't heard of these series.

I recently found out about this one shot from last fall about Cassian and K-2SO, so I ordered it and it is on the way to me now.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rogue-Cassian-Annual-ebook/dp/B0719W6BXV

I've only been going back to the comic shop for the past few months to get the Shazam series, but it's always been in a rush with my family in the car waiting for me on our way to dinner, so I haven't had time to look around. I'd rather go the comic shop on a weekend without my family to take my time but if I don't go on Wednesday nights then my first choice Shazam cover variant is sold out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: