The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Raider-class corvette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Raider-class corvette Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Raider-class corvette Reply with quote

So a new class of corvette has been created.

Here is the article http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5274

Any one want to take a stab at the stats?
KeldorKatarn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I love this ship. Looks like an perfect ship for Pirates
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take a crack at it, though not much information to go on.

Raider-class Corvette
Craft: Kuat Drive Yards Raider-class Corvette
Affiliation: Galactic Empire, Imperial Remnant
Era: Rise of the Empire, Rebellion, New Republic
Source: FFG X-Wing Miniatures Games, stats by +Oliver Queen
Type: anti-fighter corvette
Scale: Capital
Length: 150 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: raider-class
Crew: 182; gunners: 48, skeleton: 52/+10
Crew Skill: Astrogation 3D+2, capital ship gunnery 4D+2, capital ship piloting 4D+2, capital ship shields 4D, sensors 4D+1
Passengers: 40 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 300 metric tons
Consumables: 3 months
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D+1
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 km/h
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
-- Passive: 50/1D
-- Scan: 90/1D+2
-- Search: 100/2D+2
-- Focus: 5/3D+1
Weapons:
4 Double Turbolaser Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 2 front, 1 left, 1 right
-- Crew: 3
-- Skill: Capital ship gunnery
-- Scale: capital
-- Fire Control: 3D
-- Space Range: 3-15/35/70
-- Atmosphere Range: 300-1.5/3.5/7 km
-- Damage: 5D
12 Turbloaser Cannons Turrets
-- Fire Arc: 3 front, 3 left, 3 right, 3 rear
-- Crew: 1
-- Skill: Starship gunnery
-- Scale: starfighter
-- Fire Control: 4D
-- Space Range: 3-15/35/75
-- Atmosphere Range: 300-1.5/3.5/7.5 km
6 Ion Cannon Turrets
-- Fire Arc: 3 front, 1 left, 1 right
-- Scale: starfighter
-- Fire Control: 2D+2
-- Space Range: 1-5/10/15
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.5 km
2 Tractor Beam Projector
-- Fire Arc: 1 front, 1 left, 1 right
-- Scale: Starfighter
-- Fire Control: 4D
-- Space Range: 1-8/15/20
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-800/1.5/2 km
Starfighter Complement: 5 externally mounted fighters (TIE/in, TIE/x1)

Capsule: Kuat Drive Yards began manufacturing the Raider-class corvette in 6BBY as a dedicated anti-fighter vessel after it was successfully pitched by Lira Wessex, the designer of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer. She recognized that the Imperial Navy lacked a small, modern craft to reinforce the TIE fighter squadrons deployed by Star Destroyers, and she designed the Raider-class corvette as a durable, 150m vessel that featured multiple hardpoints and would excel at suppressing Rebel fighter attacks.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeldorKatarn wrote:
d*mn! I love this ship. Looks like an perfect ship for Pirates

Contrary to the name, it's actually an Imperial vessel, but military vessels sometimes do fall into the hands of pirates.

Yeah, I'm loving this new ship.
Very Happy

shootingwomprats wrote:
I can take a crack at it, though not much information to go on.

Craft: Republic Sienar Systems Raider-class Corvette
Affiliation: Galactic Empire, Imperial Remnant
Era: Rise of the Empire, Rebellion, New Republic
Source: FFG X-Wing Miniatures Games, stats by +Oliver Queen

Thanks for rising to the occasion.

That said, criticism:

While it clearly does have some Sienar components, the announcement clearly says that it's a Kuat Drive Yards ship. You wrote this in your capsure - so, why do you have it listed as a Republic Sienar Systems vessel?

Also, it came into service 6BBY. In my book that's well after the Rise of the Empire era.

Given its small size, I doubt that it will actually have the capacity to carry fighters, much less 12 of them.

Last edited by Mikael Hasselstein on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
While it clearly does have some Sienar components, the announcement clearly says that it's a Kuat Drive Yards ship. You wrote this in your capsure - so, why do you have it listed as a Republic Sienar Systems vessel?

Just an oversight on my part, correction made.

Also, it came into service 6BBY. In my book that's well after the Rise of the Empire era.

Rise of the Empire period is from 1,000 to 0 BBY. I have no idea why that is. In my games I break it down as:

1,000 to 23 BBY Galactic Republic
22 to 19 BBY Clone Wars
18 to 0 BBY Rise of the Empire
0 to 4 ABY Rebellion
5 to 25 ABY New Galactic Republic

Given its small size, I doubt that it will actually have the capacity to carry fighters, much less 12 of them.

I had not realized it was so small. I would at most give it 4-5 externally carried TIE's. So noted and changed.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description on the FFG website states that the ship has six double heavy laser turrets along with ion cannon, but does not mention turbolasers. Not that I think it shouldn't have turbolasers, mind...

In addition, the FFG write-up pairs the Raider with the TIE Advanced for raiding purposes. This may just be a way to introduce the TIE Advanced model for the game, as the TIE Advanced was never hugely common. I would suggest, rather, that the ship be equipped with external TIE racks as standard, but not normally be equipped with TIEs to go with them, save for particular missions.

Apart from that, this is a great ship. Its design as an anti-starfighter platform fits well with the mission of the Skirmish Lines described in the ImpSB. Mikhael, this would be a good one to add to the ship list in the Sector Group / Naval Missions threads...

EDIT: My bad; the article does include turbolasers. As such, my recommendation for armament would be 4 turbolasers (Cap scale), 6 dual heavy laser cannon (SF-scale) and 2 ion cannon (Cap scale)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Rise of the Empire period is from 1,000 to 0 BBY. I have no idea why that is. In my games I break it down as:

1,000 to 23 BBY Galactic Republic
22 to 19 BBY Clone Wars
18 to 0 BBY Rise of the Empire
0 to 4 ABY Rebellion
5 to 25 ABY New Galactic Republic

Sure, I suppose there are different ways to categorize it. I suppose that you could say that the Empire was complete when the Senate was disbanded. I just always thought of it as more narrowly around the prequels - but according to the Wookiee, you're right. It just seems odd to me to have a 1000 year 'rise' period for something that lasts just a few decades at most.

crmcneill wrote:
The description on the FFG website states that the ship has six double heavy laser turrets along with ion cannon, but does not mention turbolasers. Not that I think it shouldn't have turbolasers, mind...

Well, the game will allow you to adjust the weapons load-out. With the CR-90, it comes with a primary turbolaser turret, but you can put turbolasers and/or quad laser cannons on its two hardpoints (representing, actually, four hardpoints, two on each side). With the Raider, there will also be ion cannons, which I presume you will also be able to put on the CR-90 if you have the cards and models of both ships.

Long-story short: the minis game doesn't have a standard weapons complement for these ships, the way we do in the D6 RPG.

crmcneill wrote:
In addition, the FFG write-up pairs the Raider with the TIE Advanced for raiding purposes. This may just be a way to introduce the TIE Advanced model for the game, as the TIE Advanced was never hugely common. I would suggest, rather, that the ship be equipped with external TIE racks as standard, but not normally be equipped with TIEs to go with them, save for particular missions.

Yes, it comes with the TIE Advanced, but that's really just because the TIE advanced was underpowered/overpriced in the game, and was generally uncompetitive. So, they're including it in order to fix the gamepiece. It doesn't imply that it has a mounting rack for it. The GR-75 (Gallofree) Transport also comes with an X-Wing, but I don't think it's ever been written that it has a docking mechanism for X-Wings.

crmcneill wrote:
Mikhael, this would be a good one to add to the ship list in the Sector Group / Naval Missions threads...

Done. Please find the direct link to that page here.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the game will allow you to adjust the weapons load-out. With the CR-90, it comes with a primary turbolaser turret, but you can put turbolasers and/or quad laser cannons on its two hardpoints (representing, actually, four hardpoints, two on each side). With the Raider, there will also be ion cannons, which I presume you will also be able to put on the CR-90 if you have the cards and models of both ships.

Long-story short: the minis game doesn't have a standard weapons complement for these ships, the way we do in the D6 RPG.

The FFG description states that the Raider was "made specifically for anti-fighter warfare", and also lists specific weapon types as well as some numbers. While a variable weapons loadout would be appropriate for a ship like the Corellian Corvette, IMO, something like this would be more specific. In fact, given the similarity of mission, the loadout would likely mirror that of the Corellian Gunship, with ion cannon and tractor beams subbing in for concussion missile launchers.

Quote:
Yes, it comes with the TIE Advanced, but that's really just because the TIE advanced was underpowered/overpriced in the game, and was generally uncompetitive. So, they're including it in order to fix the gamepiece. It doesn't imply that it has a mounting rack for it. The GR-75 (Gallofree) Transport also comes with an X-Wing, but I don't think it's ever been written that it has a docking mechanism for X-Wings.

Fair enough. I may have been reading too much into it, then. However, seeing as how part of the mission of Skirmish Lines is to support TIE operations, retaining the TIE racks themselves would not be amiss, even if the ship wasn't equipped with them as standard.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks a lot like a little brother of the Vindicator-class heavy cruiser: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vindicator-class_heavy_cruiser

Wookieepedia lists Sienar Fleet Systems as manufacturing the Vindicator. The Raider's "wings" just scream SFS to me. Do you think FFG may have been wrong in saying it was KDY ship?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions as to why a capital ship has TIE wing panels?

Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Any opinions as to why a capital ship has TIE wing panels?

to quote Ralph Dibny, "Because it looks cool..."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, but that is just a reason to include them. The question then becomes a technical one, to justify the reasoning behind including them in the first place.

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Wookieepedia lists Sienar Fleet Systems as manufacturing the Vindicator. The Raider's "wings" just scream SFS to me. Do you think FFG may have been wrong in saying it was KDY ship?

I imagine that not unlike our own military-industrial complex, there's a lot of cross-manufacturing.

I kind of feel like I have to get the model in my hands before I start imagining its innards, as well as the why/what/how/etc. Luckily for me, I have it on pre-order, and I expect to have it in March (my guess).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solar panels could allow the ship an increase in consumables, as it absorbs energy to keep its systems running. It is able to run longer between refueling and recharging than other ships because it is constantly absorbing solar energy and storing it.

Just an idea, I suppose.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking ran more in the direction that the ship was too small to have a fully fledged solar ionization reactor (as found on the ISDs and other, larger ships), so the panels were included to provide supplemental power.

Another possibility (which I actually like more) is that the panels essentially serve as a solar panel / backup battery which allows the ship to run silent and avoid detection for extended periods of time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: