The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

R-22 Spearhead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> R-22 Spearhead
View previous topic :: View next topic  
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: R-22 Spearhead Reply with quote

Came across this ship while tooling around on Wookiepedia http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R-22_Spearhead. Apparently it was supposed to retcon the appearance of A-wings in the Droids TV series and various video games before their stated invention after the battle of Yavin but, at least to my mind, you could also use it to settle the A-Wing size discrepancy. With official sources claiming a length of 9.6m and onscreen and studio model evidence showing a length of around 4.65m, handwaving the onscreen appearances as R-22s instead of RZ-1s with the explanation that Dodonna/Blissex based their design on the R-22 but required a larger hull to house the RZ-1's specialized systems seems like an elegant solution to me. Bearing all that in mind and borrowing some ideas from CRMcneil's ASC thread http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I decided to try my hand at coming up with some stats.

Spearhead
Craft: Hoersch-Kessel Drive, Inc. R-22 Spearhead Starfighter
Affiliation: Rebel Alliance, General
Era: Rise of the Empire, Rebellion
Type: Interceptor, Multi-purpose Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 4.65 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: Spearhead
Crew Skill: Varies
Crew: 1
Cargo Capacity: 25 kilograms
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 120,000
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x3
Nav Computer: Yes (limited to two jumps)
Maneuverability: 3D+2
Space: 9
Atmosphere: 400; 1,150 kmh
Hull: 2D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 20/0D
Scan: 40/1D
Search: 60/2D
Focus: 3/3D
Weapons:
2 Medium Blasters (fire linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1km/1.7km
Damage: 3D
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire (May be applied to Damage or Fire Control, but Gunner must declare which before the shot. Can only be applied to Fire Control at Long Range, and only 1D may be applied to Damage at Medium Range).

2 Concussion Missile Launchers
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: Varies by missile type
Space Range: Varies by missile type
Atmosphere Range: Varies by missile type
Damage: Varies by missile type

So there's my first attempt at homebrewing my own stats, let me know what you think.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: R-22 Spearhead Reply with quote

That1guy wrote:
So there's my first attempt at homebrewing my own stats, let me know what you think.

I'd like to hear your reasoning for why the stats are so much lower, especially the speed.

Also, for the Concussion Missile Launchers, if you are going to say "Varies by Missile Type" for every stat entry, it would help to include stats for the Missile Types, so that people know what they are working with.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same about the low stats. Best guess is that he's accounting for experimental or lower tech.
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to hear your reasoning for why the stats are so much lower, especially the speed.

Mostly I was thinking that with a Space speed of 9 and maneuverability of 3D+2 the R-22 would be the fastest most maneuverable ship of its era in the Alliance inventory thus being the natural choice for A-wing type missions pre RZ-1 introduction, while at the same time providing enough of a performance deficit in comparison to the RZ-1 to explain why Dodonna felt that the RZ-1 was necessary in the first place. In retrospect I could probably bump the speed up to 10 and the same would still apply. I do think it should be slower than the TIE Interceptor though.

All the other stats are pretty much just my justification for how all the necessary ships systems like hyperdrive, shields, sensors and such get crammed into a ship that's less than half the size of an A-wing. I'll freely admit that I may have low-balled this ship. I find myself prone to munchkinism when I design my own ships, it's possible I overcompensated Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Stat design definitely has an intuitive aspect to it, and for a craft with so few hard numbers to go on, stats for the R-22 would be hard to criticize. I'd suggest a speed of 10, which puts it equal to TIE Fighters, but still slower than TIE Interceptors.

Also, since you used my system for the blasters, I'll note that the damage I listed for a Medium Blaster was for a single weapon. Since you have two of them fire-linked together, the damage would go up 1D.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: