The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Campaign ideas I'm kicking around
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Campaign ideas I'm kicking around
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Campaign ideas I'm kicking around Reply with quote

My D&D group has been meeting only sporadically, and for our last scheduled meet-up, our DM took ill and couldn't make it. One other guy knows how to DM, but doesn't have anything prepared. I've been wanting to, but I've never DMed before, and the campaign I'm working on is nowhere near ready.

So, it occurred to me I could also try running 1e or 2eREUP d6 Star Wars. nobody would really know the system, and I gather it's less finicky to run than even 5e D&D, so now I'm trying to come up with ideas for campaigns and/or one-shots to play with folks if the DM gets sick or wants a break or needs time to draw up maps or whatever.

Towards that end, I'm coming up with campaign ideas, and I figured I'd post them here and bounce them off the assembled rancors (pitters? However you guys want to be collectively referred to.) and maybe tweak them based on feedback.

Option 1: The "Alistair MacLean Chronicles"

The theory here would be that I basically steal the plot of a range of old Alistair MacLean novels/films and adapt them to Star Wars. The Guns of Navaronne, Where Eagles Dare, etc. It wouldn't be strictly MacLean stuff; I could rip off any number of classic WWII era commando stuff. (Norsk Hydro raid, The Great Raid, the Dirty Dozen, etc.)

The campaign would begin with the players having been selected to be part of a commando unit. I could either give them pregens, a list of archetypes that will make a good team, or let them come up with their own characters completely, but they'd end up as part of a Rebel commando team that would be tasked with all manner of expeditions, all with the vibe of infiltrating enemy territory, accomplishing their task, and occasionally falling victim to a plot twist or somesuch. The very start of the campaign would have them go through training exercises using non-lethal rounds, meaning that they could play through a mission or two without losing their characters permanently as they train up a bit. After that, it's the real deal. I think this would work well because they'd be able to get used to the game system in that time (not that it seems particularly hard to grasp). The downside is that I'd need to figure out how to work in space combat for this stuff. I guess I could slot in something like The Dam Busters, 633 Squadron, The Battle of Britain, etc.

Option 2: Tramp Freighter campaign

This one is a bit more amorphous for me at the moment, but basically, they'd be part of a crew that operates a tramp freighter. Maybe initially, they'd all be brought on board by the captain, who would work with them through their first mission or two, then be killed/captured/retire and leave them the ship. There'd be more interaction with the Star Wars underworld, and less with the Empire specifically. I might set it in the Corporate Sector, or have them encounter some similar local police force that is officially sanctioned by the Empire to run a region of space. I'd set this either during the Post-ROTS/pre-ANH period, or just after the events of ANH.

Option 3: Module series

Run a set of modules (I own Starfall and the Campaign Pack, as well as the IAG, but might get more), and just string them together. Pros: most of the work is already done for me. Cons: I'd need to actually learn the modules. Additional con: I'd be less able to play and enjoy the module as a player down the road if I know what's coming.

Option 4: wing it!

Let the players dictate who they want to play, and then I come up with a setting that suits them. Although I'd probably end up adapting either Option 1 or Option 2 for either of those.

Anyway, that's what I've come up with so far. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had good luck winging it, but we did play most of the published adventures too.

Having said that, I love your Alistair McLean idea. Run with it. If you're concerned about working in space combat, that's an easy fix. The team has to fly to wherever their mission is and presumably that will involve trips through space (both infil and exfil) so there are plenty of opportunities for space combat. Also, you could move some of the mission targets or objectives into space or another hostile environment.

Don't forget Force 10 from Navarone (a Harrison Ford favorite) and Where Eagles Dare. Both had insertions that went wrong and caused all sorts of mayhem for the commandos.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I've always had good luck winging it, but we did play most of the published adventures too.

Having said that, I love your Alistair McLean idea. Run with it. If you're concerned about working in space combat, that's an easy fix. The team has to fly to wherever their mission is and presumably that will involve trips through space (both infil and exfil) so there are plenty of opportunities for space combat. Also, you could move some of the mission targets or objectives into space or another hostile environment.

Don't forget Force 10 from Navarone (a Harrison Ford favorite) and Where Eagles Dare. Both had insertions that went wrong and caused all sorts of mayhem for the commandos.

Where Eagles Dare is definitely on the list. Force 10 I'd probably skip if only because I think it borrows a bit much from Where Eagles Dare (e.g., the whole "Who is on whose side" thing).

I'm thinking the Where Eagles Dare analogue will have to happen a while after the players have been in the campaign, for two main reasons. (1) I want them to trust their handler pretty implicitly. (2) I want them to have gotten to know -- if only casually -- some of the NPCs who would feature on the mission. That way the whole double-and-triple blind twists of the story could really grab them.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign ideas I'm kicking around Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
So, it occurred to me I could also try running 1e or 2eREUP d6 Star Wars. nobody would really know the system, and I gather it's less finicky to run than even 5e D&D

Um, yeah. Now I must admit that I haven't played D&D 5e yet, but I do have the PH for it and just from looking at that, yes, Star Wars R&E is a good amount less crunchy. Good call on running Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Campaign ideas I'm kicking around Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
So, it occurred to me I could also try running 1e or 2eREUP d6 Star Wars. nobody would really know the system, and I gather it's less finicky to run than even 5e D&D

Um, yeah. Now I must admit that I haven't played D&D 5e yet, but I do have the PH for it and just from looking at that, yes, Star Wars R&E is a good amount less crunchy. Good call on running Star Wars.

So far, I've played one session of 5e, and it actually kinda felt like what I'd expect a Star Wars game to run like. The PHB includes similar concepts like coming up with a difficulty score against which you have to roll your ability. What's different about 5e (as I recall) is that you roll and then add this or that modifier to your roll, and it's all done on a single D20. It's the modifiers that make things tricky like "Well, I did XYZ, so I should have advantage, plus I used ABC ability which gives me a bonus to my attack rolls and to my damage rolls if I hit." My sense of at least 1e Star Wars is that it's just "Roll your dice against the difficulty rating that I just determined," with fewer modifiers, but I haven't pored over the 1e handbook enough to really be sure.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d6 is simpler, but it's also because it's got fewer options, and fewer moving parts.

In d6, your character is defined by pretty much two things... your species and your skills. You don't have much in the way of special abilities beyond that, or mechanical differentiation. Personalities can be wildly different, sure, but the mechanics are pretty similar for all characters.

In 5e, your character is determined by a number of factors. Race, class, background, with your race breaking into subraces, and your classes into subclasses. Two different gnome bards can have significant differences mechanically, even out of the Player's Handbook options, even moreso as levels advance.

I would also note that 5e tends to be more bounded in numbers. A beginner at something has a +2 proficiency bonus. An absolute master of it has a +6. Now, some other numbers will play into that (the 20th level master will likely have better attributes and equipment), but you're still looking at a relatively small range or number. A beginner with a high attribute can equal a master with merely average attributes (i.e. 18 gives a +4 from attribute, +2 proficiency, whereas a 10 attribute and 20th level gives a +6 proficiency bonus). Compare this with d6, where an absolute beginner MIGHT have 6D in a skill, whereas a master can be swinging 12D or more.

Converting 5e to Star Wars would work, and I think you could make a good game of it. I'd probably lean towards something closer to Saga Edition for powers, than the standard 5e, though defining Jedi as Bladelocks would work pretty well. Have to come up with a "Force" patron for them.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
d6 is simpler, but it's also because it's got fewer options, and fewer moving parts.

In d6, your character is defined by pretty much two things... your species and your skills. You don't have much in the way of special abilities beyond that, or mechanical differentiation. Personalities can be wildly different, sure, but the mechanics are pretty similar for all characters.

In 5e, your character is determined by a number of factors. Race, class, background, with your race breaking into subraces, and your classes into subclasses. Two different gnome bards can have significant differences mechanically, even out of the Player's Handbook options, even moreso as levels advance.

I would also note that 5e tends to be more bounded in numbers. A beginner at something has a +2 proficiency bonus. An absolute master of it has a +6. Now, some other numbers will play into that (the 20th level master will likely have better attributes and equipment), but you're still looking at a relatively small range or number. A beginner with a high attribute can equal a master with merely average attributes (i.e. 18 gives a +4 from attribute, +2 proficiency, whereas a 10 attribute and 20th level gives a +6 proficiency bonus). Compare this with d6, where an absolute beginner MIGHT have 6D in a skill, whereas a master can be swinging 12D or more.

Converting 5e to Star Wars would work, and I think you could make a good game of it. I'd probably lean towards something closer to Saga Edition for powers, than the standard 5e, though defining Jedi as Bladelocks would work pretty well. Have to come up with a "Force" patron for them.

Oh, to be clear, I'm not interested in converting D20 5E to D6 Star Wars or vice versa. If we end up playing Star Wars, it'll be D6 all the way.

I just found the "roll against a DC that I, the DM, have determined based on my gut sense of what's appropriate" to be similar to D6. The rest of it is a good bit crunchier, thanks to this or that modifier. I'm new to 5e, and much more familiar with 1e and, to a lesser extent, 2e. And I've never played any D20 games aside from 5e.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: