The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Please suggest some decent Yuuzhan Vong stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Please suggest some decent Yuuzhan Vong stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Please suggest some decent Yuuzhan Vong stats Reply with quote

Yeah, yesterday I ran a bit of NJO for some friends since a really flaky GM had basically flaked on the game (no suprise), so although I the game was pretty much played for laughs and run off the cuff it was entertaining for all.

In any event, I need to be pointed in the direction of some semi-balanced Yuuzhan Vong stats (probably misspelling that). Should I just use the stuff on StarwarsRPGNetwork? Or is their something better, your opinons please. Oh and since he's the master/teacher of one of the PCs any clue as to Kyle Katarn's stats are (or should I ask in the character section?)
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want I can look through my SWD20 stuff on the Vong and try to convert them using the conversion guidelines on Wizards' site and the first edition D20 Star Wars corebook.

I don't know how accurate they'll be, but it's a place to start...

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure that would be great, and if its not too much trouble send me a copy of the Noghri jedi apprentice from yesterday's game.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuuzhan Vong Warrior

Yuuzhan Vong

Wanted Poster
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is, don't use them... not for a long while. Because they are extremely deadly. And introducing them into the galaxy. While it makes for a solid story direction. I would definately wait until I'm absolutely sure that the players can take them on. Because the Vong aren't the type to retreat. Just make sure the players have some means of escape. Or come up with Evironmental means to kill the Vong. (High voltage cables on a wet floor... ect.)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the "Far Orbit Fleet". They threw a bloody suicidal Juggernaught at us and we still won the day!

Admittedly, it was by retreating, but we still performed in a manner that ensured victory, and got us paid.

I can believe that we would come out of retirement for the Vong incident.

Heck, it'd be interesting enough that we'd take a pay cut: "OK, you maintain us, and pay us one credit a day." "Each?" "No. Total. This sounds like *FUN*!!!" "Are you sure the crew agreed to this?" "145% agreed." "Huh?" "They brough friends." "Oh." "It'd have been unanimous, but Lac Nars disagreed. So we're paying him out of our pocket."

'Course, we'd need to get our hands on some more Capital ships...
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray (and I figure your the same Ray as from the Peginc boards) your really cool but what are you talking about? I assume its a game you played in, in which case it sounds neat but from what you've posted I have no idea whats going on Confused

Oh and thanks Hellcat
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
My suggestion is, don't use them... not for a long while. Because they are extremely deadly. And introducing them into the galaxy. While it makes for a solid story direction. I would definately wait until I'm absolutely sure that the players can take them on. Because the Vong aren't the type to retreat. Just make sure the players have some means of escape. Or come up with Evironmental means to kill the Vong. (High voltage cables on a wet floor... ect.)

Honestly I think they are one of the least fun, and dumbest foes in the Starwars universe, I miss the good old days of fighting the Imperials, and the Imperial reminant...but eh. EDIT: they're basically a really boring rehash of a bunch of cliches such as three tiered alien societies, biotechnological threats (Zerg come to mind), and their tactics limits the possible options of fighting them...as they poison the every world they find with an alien biosphere, recapturing such worlds becomes nearly impossible and often outside the scope of a game). And the big reveal about them in relation to the Force even seemed tired (from what I've heard as I doubt I'll ever read another NJO book again).

As for adventure design I always try to play loose, I'm a fan of Warren Specter's Deus Ex where you always had a bare minimum of three ways out of everything. Retreat is often the best solution. And I fully intend to tempt the characters with a dark side solution if it means there's a chance to run a redemption game.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Sounds like you've already got things in mind. And it sounds like it would be a fun game to play in... even with the Vong. Thinking back to the games that I've played a jedi in. The ever looming temptation wasn't always there. I don't ever remember feeling remotely pressured into falling to the darkside, ever... I almost feel a little robbed, since with a new character I've been tempting jedi left and right to fall... and due to the environment that everything is taking place... well... things aren't exactly stacked in favor of the GMC jedi. I think if I were ever to run an NJO game again, I would make sure that if not every session, every other session there would be the lure there. I wouldn't have it stand out too much, but the aftermath would be immense... I don't really see the game as having a decent system for enforcing the darkside points that characters recieve... since someone can get up to 6 without falling to the darkside, and it seems most players don't roleplay that fact out. So, I think I would play it from behind the screen. Based on how many darkside points they've earned, roll a 1D... if I get as many or fewer, I'd have them lose control perhaps. Or have them roll a willpower or something to resist the urge to take the easy way out, and it would be immensly easier... (looks up) Sorry, I'm rambling.
Back to the Vong, I've only faced them once in a "Starwars" game, and that was... *gulp* D20... in a 1 shot wonder game, 2nd level characters taking on all sorts of crazy stuff. It was terrible... barely survived... and the Vong are very creepy. But, they also leave the lure there... very easily in fact... some times survival instincts are more than everything a jedi learns...

I think I'm going to leave it at that... before the meaning of my post is lost.

Looks like you have stuff in hand. Laughing Embarassed

Obi-Wan Kenobi
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I'd rather not deal with the Vong much. If you want to deal with the Remnant or the CorpSec or whatever more go for it. The Vong tend to just annoy me, for basically all the reasons previously stated.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xzil Maru wrote:
Ray (and I figure your the same Ray as from the Peginc boards) your really cool but what are you talking about? I assume its a game you played in, in which case it sounds neat but from what you've posted I have no idea whats going on Confused

Yep, I'm the same guy. I'm also Ray on the WEG board as well.

And I forgot we have new people here, hadn't had for a bit.

My GM played us in the "Far Orbit" campaign from "Pirates & Privateers".

Eventually, it became known as the "Gods of the Universe" campaign, as we pretty much Pwned anything he threw at us.

A small FLEET of ships which we destroyed (Except for the Interdictor Cruiser, which surrendered after watching us go to town on the rest of the fleet.).

Escaped from having the entire crew captured as Slaves with nothing more than Rocks as tools and weapons. Then went forth with captured equipment and rescued the rest of the planet from it's enslavement.

Facing an entire CARGO HOLD of a Medium Freighter of Stormies (A good number of which were Veterans!) and still capturing the freighter. (We still made a good profit thanks to the sale of Blaster Rifles. Twisted Evil ).

Captured an Imperial Planet in exchange for a (small) percentage of the Global Domestic Profit (This basically paid for our maintence, which was starting to become a problem.).

Having one of our number fight, and *BEAT* "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBACCA!!!" The Five-Time Galactic Fighting Championship Titleholder (Think Wookiee version of Hulk Hogan.).

And a lot of other stuff. All the while, getting paid lots, and lots of money. We have, however, been known to work at a loss. Mostly when the job seems interesting and we're really, really, really bored.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xzil Maru wrote:
Crell Damar wrote:

Honestly I think they are one of the least fun, and dumbest foes in the Starwars universe, I miss the good old days of fighting the Imperials, and the Imperial reminant...but eh. EDIT: they're basically a really boring rehash of a bunch of cliches such as three tiered alien societies, biotechnological threats (Zerg come to mind), and their tactics limits the possible options of fighting them...as they poison the every world they find with an alien biosphere, recapturing such worlds becomes nearly impossible and often outside the scope of a game). And the big reveal about them in relation to the Force even seemed tired (from what I've heard as I doubt I'll ever read another NJO book again).

As for adventure design I always try to play loose, I'm a fan of Warren Specter's Deus Ex where you always had a bare minimum of three ways out of everything. Retreat is often the best solution. And I fully intend to tempt the characters with a dark side solution if it means there's a chance to run a redemption game.

I agree. I stopped reading the books when they got to that. They just don't seem to fit the Star Wars Universe at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: