The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Training in the field, with a Master (suggestions)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Jedi Training in the field, with a Master (suggestions)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Jedi Training in the field, with a Master (suggestions) Reply with quote

I'm currently running a NJO starwars game with a Noghri and Chiss apprentices to Jedi 'Master' Kyle Katarn. The players are Redfox, and another player (lets call 'em Vader) anyway their basically assisting evacuations of planets in the way of the Vong invasion. I figure Kyle would be a very hands on sort of guy, and that he might stress a sort of SpecOps training but other than that I'm having difficulty coming up with training senarios that don't seem to be screwing with the characters.

Could someone suggest some lessons for the two apprentices, one is a stealthy martial artist who has poor technical skills and 4D in control, while the Chiss is Redfoxes character from http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=506

Mind you he didn't make the character for my game, I ran it because his Chiss loving GM flaked on him. Still their both decent characters.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad she's decent! Very Happy

Have you played Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

You basically do a bunch of jedi missions while apprenticing under Kyle Katarn. This includes some training grounds training on Yavin as well as real-world practice missions throughout the Galaxy that keep you busy and learning before the main plotline about a hidden Sith cult ripens enough to follow it.

Those busy-work missions are those requests for assistance given to the Academy from around the Galaxy. Luke can't possibly handle them all himself, so he delegates them as "learn by doing" exercises to the Jedi teachers, who in turn take the students out with him or send them out alone to accomplish them.

Sample missions from the first part of the game:

• Go through the training grounds on Yavin IV under Kyle Katarn's direction. The training exercises here are more active and less cerebral than Luke's training exercises in the previous game. In some ways, it feels like a spec-ops training gauntlet with proper use of Force powers thrown in.
  • Rescue mission: A merchant ship got tangled up with an interdictor cruiser and crash-landed on a planet with very little information (save "uninhabited") in the New Republic archives. Take a shuttle to the planet and rescue the stranded merchants. This turns out to be a jumping-puzzle area with hostile native sandworms. The merchants are all dead, but the Jedi apprentice has crashed and must salvage repair parts from the other crashed vessels to get off the planet.
  • Tatooine: Check smuggler contacts for information on Plot-important Sith Cult. Kyle and a student land at Mos Eisley. Kyle goes off to talk to contacts and leaves the pupil to guard the ship. All hell breaks loose as the pupil and Chewbacca (the Milennium Falcon is also parked here, apparently for a diplomatic mission by Leia Organa) end up getting jumped by mercenaries and Sith cultists.
  • Tatooine: A moisture farmer's protocol droid may have overheard a conversation about a Sith cult, but sold the droid to jawas. Kyle and pupil must negotiate with the jawas to secure the droid. But the jawas themselves have been attacked by raiders...
  • Bakura: A city has lost contact with the local power station, which has gone inactive and was built on top of an inactive volcano. If the power station were to be destroyed, the volcano could erupt and destroy the nearby city. Kyle is busy but sends the pupil on ahead with instructions to "wait until he gets there before doing anything." Katarn however never arrives, and the student discovers Imperial Remnant troops setting up bombs at strategic points all throughout the facility...

Etc.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the beta at Comic Con. It didn't have the mission briefs implemented yet, so they were missions with no objective beyond what the booth bait, and the developer guys could tell you but it was fun. Never got around to buying it. Probably should.

I played through early versions of the Sand Planet/sand worm one with no victory conditions, a corscant one, and the tatooine mission with a cool Chewie npc character.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already have them, then you probably should see if you can find some stats for Kyle, especially NJO stats if possible. Also if you have Jedi Knight and/or Jedi Knight Outcast, particulary any saved games on either where Kyle is using the Force, take a look at what Kyle is able to do. He gets pretty good at being able to perform Force jumps, Force speed, using the Force to heal himself, using the Force to pull people and/or objects towards him or push them away, and using his lightsaber. So he may focus on such things.

The Lightsaber Dexterity skill and the Lightsaber Combat Force skill are probably some of areas he'd focus on. Look at who Kyle is and what he's able to do, that will probably give you an idea of some of the non-Force skills he might teach. According to the NEGtC Kyle eventually became one of the combat instructors at the Jedi Academy, so you should keep that in mind. Skills like blaster, dodge, lightsaber, brawling parry, melee combat, melee parry, gernade, missile weapons, running, survival, tactics, brawling, search, sneak, blaster repair, lightsaber repair, and demolitions might be some that Kyle might teach his students. Force skills he might teach could be telekinesis, accelerate healing, reduce injury, remain concious, resist stun, control pain, lightsaber combat, magnify senses, affect mind, combat sense, and danger sense.

Wanted Poster
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before he used to be a military sort of guy and I would bet a pretty sum that he is a follower of the "a weak body can not house a strong mind" principle. So, before teaching anything even remotely force related, he'd give them some sort of fitness drill. Stamina, running, jumping, etc.

How did you integrate a Noghri and a Chiss into the same campaign? I mean, Noghri are not exactly a player character race. 4d more attributes (!) and a host of special abilities as well as max stats beyond the roof. I would definately disallow that if a player suggested it.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not have the warning at the bottom of the page.

(It is strongly reccomended that players do not play this race)

Noghri have a lot of their background things affecting how they interact with the rest of the galaxy. Knowledge, Mechanical, and Technical skills are extremely lacking. Which this Noghri jedi is going to run into issues with because the jedi teachings integrate balance between all attributes, especially knowledges. If I were running the game with the Noghri attempting to be a jedi. I would continually remind him that he has a very closed mind about said subjects and such. He would do well to roleplay that out whenever it comes up. It's going to be something that Kyle and the Chiss are going to have to work through. I believe it could make for some very interesting story. Especially if the two apprentices are "working to gain the favor of their master". Most people don't realize it when they do. But there will always be the competitive thing going on between the two apprentices. Which may lead to temptations of the darkside. The Noghri is for sure going to be blowing the Chiss away in the physical aspects of being a jedi. But the Chiss has an advantage on the Noghri in having an open mind to the ways of the galaxy and the skills behind that. I wouldn't be suprised if they even get a little jealous about one another's strong points. Just a suggestion though. It makes for interesting roleplaying.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noghri character is really fun, he's an insanely capable fighter with little to no knowlege of how anything operates or how the galaxy works.

In the game he got stuck in a shuttle, he was able to first hide from the crew, and later incapacitate them but couldn't fly it, and had difficulty contacting anyone else.

He also has a worshipful attitude toward Darth Vader and all the Skywalkers. I look forward to the characters interactions.

As far as Kyle goes, I've played the entire Dark Forces series, Jedi Knight and its sequels and expansion packs including Mysteries of the Sith. I've also beat Outcast. I never got around to playing (as was mentioned) the Academy game. I've also a graphic novel that details Kyles backstory, how he joined up with the rebelion and his training in the Imperial Military. If I remember correctly he was a Stormtrooper commander or somthing...I need to review this stuff. Thankfully springbreak is next week.

I wish I could simply find workable Kyle Katarn d6 statistics but I guess I'm going to have to work them out myself.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take an Imperial commando's statistics and Jedi Master it up.

Anyway, as to the Noghri... I was a little concerned at first when I saw the stats but then realized: My character's niche is starfighter pilot jedi. That isn't really trampled by a physically super-capable character who can rip the arms off a wookiee and thinks that a hydrospanner is a toothbrush. Smile

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B.O.B. crew met Luke Skywalker once.

Gave him some gourmet "Cream of Womprat Soup" from our Five-Star Chef Droid. Very Happy

Not on topic, but I was reminded of this.
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo I've been poking swamps of Starwars sites looking for Kyle related stuff and found the following...

CHARACTER NAME - Kyle Katarn
SPECIES - Human (born on Sulon)
GENDER - Male
AGE - 40
WEIGHT - 132 Pounds
HEIGHT - 1.8m
MOVE - 10

DEXTERITY: 4D
            Blaster: 7D
            Brawling Parry: 6D
            Dodge: 9D
            Blaster Artillery: 6D
            Grenade: 7D
            Melee Combat: 5D
            Melee Parry: 5D
            Missile Weapons: 5D
            Thrown Weapons: 5D
            LightSaber: 9D

PERCEPTION: 3D
            Bargain: 5D
            Command: 4D
            Con: 6D
            Gambling: 4D
            Hide: 7D
            Investigation: 8D
            Persuasion: 5D
            Search: 6D
            Sneak: 7D

KNOWLEDGE: 2D
            Intimidation: 4D
            Languages: 5D
            Planetary Systems: 6D
            Streetwise: 8D
            Survival: 7D
            Tactics: 6D
            Willpower: 6D

STRENGTH: 3D+2
            Brawling: 8D
            Climbing/Jumping: 6D
            Swimming: 5D

MECHANICAL: 3D
            Space Transports: 6D
            Astrogation: 6D
            Capital Ship Piloting: 5D
            Repulsorlift Operation: 6D
            Sensors: 5D+2
            Communications: 5D
            Starship Gunnery: 5D+1
            Starship Shields: 4D

TECHNICAL: 2D
            Demolitions: 7D
            First Aid: 6D
            Medicine: 5D
            Security: 6D

SPECIAL ABILITIES
            Control: 9D
            Sense: 10D

Has most force powers, uses Lightsaber Combat, Force Speed, Force Jump, Telekinesis, Affect Mind

EQUIPMENT
            CREDITS - 1,500
Lightsaber (5D), Bryar Blaster Pistol 4D (also known to use whatever weapons he can lay his hands on).
Personal Force Shield (Absorbs 15D of damage which is allocated as needed, however loses one pip every round it is active.)
"Moldy Crow" Transport Vessel, and later "The Ravens Claw" Transport Vessel.

FORCE SENSITIVE - Y
FORCE POINTS 19
DARK SIDE POINTS 3
CHARACTER POINTS 25

Since force jump, and force speed are Enhance Attribute (as far as I know), I figure its not perfect but should provide a good place to start. I also found his official Power of the Force d20 stats.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES! That's a lot of Force Points.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have these from the SWRPGNetwork:

Kyle Jedi Knight

Kyle

Sith influenced Kyle

However, they are all out of place for Kyle as of the NJO

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: