The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D-Wing Strategic Reconnaissance Starship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> D-Wing Strategic Reconnaissance Starship Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought something like that might be appropriate - or perhaps even slightly more effective than that. But yes, that was the general gist of it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Just because the RAW allows silly situations like that doesn't mean I'm going to dumb down the sensors on a massively expensive dedicated recon platform.

As is though, your craft is TOOO good. With its 20 speed, even top of the line fighters will struggle to keep up with it and thus combat is practically nullified, and with its great sensors it can see even cap ships before they are in range to do anything.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that sounds exactly like the SR-71. I'd seriously consider making the ship more fragile, and downgrading the stealth a little, but the SR-71 couldn't just outrun enemy interceptors, it could outrun missiles, and it had a seriously powerful sensor suite. I read up on the details before I posted the stat, and while I'm willing to negotiate on some of the details, you haven't convinced me that the speed is too fast, or that the sensors are too powerful, because if I am doing this an homage to the SR-71, it needs both an incredibly high top speed and a powerful and highly capable sensor suite (i.e. better than the one installed in 20+ year old Clone Wars-era fighter bomber modified as a scout ship).

Here are the changes I'm considering:
    Maneuverability: 0D
    Hull: 2D
    Shields: 1D (can still be used in stealth mode)
    Sensors:
    Passive 60/2D
    Scan 75/3D
    Search 90/4D
    Focus 6/5D
    Stealth +1D (Sensor Baffling external layer)
The sensor ranges compare favorably to the sensors on the MRX-BR armed scout ship.
    Passive: 30/1D
    Scan: 60/2D
    Search: 120/3D
    Focus: 10/3D+2
The Pacifier has greater range in Search and Focus modes while the D-Wing is better in Passive and Scan modes and has more discerning sensors all around, but there is precedent for mounting powerful, long-range sensors on something space transport sized.

With these changes, the D-Wing is still blisteringly fast with excellent sensors, but is much more fragile and less maneuverable. This, IMO, is more in keeping with the spirit of the SR-71 than downgrading the speed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shares a lot of appearance features with the Svelte-class imperial shuttle.

I share reservations with the others concerning speed and sensors.
20 seems really high, especially with a positive Maeuverability code. Yes, the SR-71 was fast, but it's not going to turn on a football field, let alone a dime... especially when moving at a good clip. A reduction IS sensible while still being beyond the speed range of other top-of-the-line.
Shields would seem like something that would need to be dropped entirely to specialize so heavily too.

The sensor ranges are super long. They should be long, you're right... but it should come at a cost, and not be, well, ridiculous. Perhaps some of the compromises needed for having such a powerful sensor system is that the sensor platform needs to be stationary to be effective... that while in motion the sensors are more akin to those of a standard x-Wing. When powered down, the sensors can be used more powerfully without interference from other ships systems, etc. If you're using the sensors and are detected and need to make a hasty retreat, you're going to have to shut them puppies down and reboot the rest of the ship. Need to do it faster, just cut em off hot and risk damaging them in order to start the ship faster.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see something like that. Maybe having the drives at Full and All-Out actually have a jamming effect on the ship's own sensors, since it's already part of the stat that they put out a massive signal. It would be another justification for having the D values on the sensors that high...

EDIT: Maybe something like +10 to Sensor Difficulty at Full and +20 to Sensor Difficulty at All-Out. The sensors are practically on top of the engines, after all...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just to make it interesting, to insure the D-Wing gets a good sensor read, it would have to run into its target at maximum speed, drop to Cruising Speed for several rounds to get a good sensor sweep of the target area, and then run back out. With that in mind, what would be a good Space that would make it difficult but possible to intercept the ship at Cruising, yet still allow it to outrun anything and everything at Full or All-Out?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I picked the Baudo design for this ship because I couldn't any other model that tickled my fancy. If anyone has an alternate image for a stealth ship that works, I'm taking suggestions.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought nothing was faster than an A-Wing's Space: 12.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we're getting technical, the only reference I could find for that is in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, where it describes the A-Wing as the "fastest starfighter in known space." Since the D-Wing is a Space Transport, not a Starfighter, the statement about the A-Wing is still technically accurate.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also at least one WEG statted ship that is actually faster than the A-Wing; the Plexus Droid Vessel (Imperial Sourcebook, page 33) has a Space of 15.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Yes, I thought something like that might be appropriate - or perhaps even slightly more effective than that. But yes, that was the general gist of it.

I have mixed feelings about including the baffled drive. Not that its a bad idea, but because I'm trying to make this ship something of a Star Wars parallel to the SR-71, and there was nothing slow about the SR-71. Personally, I could see the baffled drive being a feature of a different strategic recon platform that went completely the other direction, with slow speed but massive stealth, that could drift through a system without ever being detected, much as you described in your write-up.

You mentioned the Loronar Skyblind elsewhere, and I can't help but think that a Skyblind, even with its already formidable stealth, might benefit from this or some of the other stealth mods mentioned in Pirates and Privateers. Imagine the existing sensor mask augmented with sensor baffling and a baffled drive. Plus, throw a few copycat decoys into the proton torpedo launcher...

Also, if you're interested, the Deckplans Alliance did this for the Skyblind. Someday, I'm gonna find an excuse to use it in a game.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As is though, your craft is TOOO good. With its 20 speed...
crmcneill wrote:
I read up on the details before I posted the stat, and while I'm willing to negotiate on some of the details, you haven't convinced me that the speed is too fast, or that the sensors are too powerful, because if I am doing this an homage to the SR-71, it needs both an incredibly high top speed...

I'm forced to agree with garhkal. You said "if". Does Star Wars need a version of the SR-71? Star Wars doesn't have to have a space analog of every aircraft we have on Earth. Just sayin'.

But thanks for sharing your stuff in general. I like a lot of it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even knocking it down to a 13-14 still puts it faster than an A-wing, The T65AC4 X=wing (the New republic version from the Jedi academy onwards) the A9 interceptor, the SH-66 Shadow droid fighter (Imperial from the dark empire saga), The super Tie/IN (jedi academy on).

The only 2 ships i find with faster were the TIE/advance at 15 and the TIE Defender at 17, both you have said in the past you hate.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because those two ships were extremely fast but also carried heavy armament and shields. This ship gives up almost everything to be extremely fast. Now I already gave you one opening in last night's posts to give me a different incentive to bring the Speed down. If you really want to convince me, go find it...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did. BY existing ships, other than the Defender and Advanced, this craft will even at a 14 or 13 space, still outrun everything else, even at cruise. Let alone all out speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: