The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Ring Theory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Ring Theory Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Ring Theory Reply with quote

George Lucas (2005) wrote:
The interesting thing about Star Wars... there's a lot going on there that most people haven't come to grips with yet. But when they do, they will find it's a much more intricately made clock than most people would imagine.

Today I have gained a new appreciation for the film saga and somehow love Star Wars even more than I did yesterday. George Lucas is an utter cinematic genius, and his six-part Star Wars film saga is a literary masterpiece (even despite its shortcomings).

Star Wars Ring Theory

I found this in my Facebook news feed a week ago and saved the website until I could dive into it. My nephew's birthday party today got cancelled and postponed, so I took a couple hours to read this. After reading it, I read all the footnotes and reader comments, then added a comment, then posted it to my Google+, Facebook and Twitter accounts. Then I came here to post this.

This is must-read thesis for all fans of (any of) the Star Wars films. If you can find the time, I highly recommend reading it, even if you have to break it up into increments and take a week. Then please come back here and share your thoughts!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Ring Theory Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Today I have gained a new appreciation for the film saga and somehow love Star Wars even more than I did yesterday.

This is the worst opening for a Penthouse Forum letter I've ever read :p

Whill wrote:
George Lucas is an utter cinematic genius, and his six-part Star Wars film saga is a literary masterpiece (even despite its shortcomings).

Very true, as much as enjoy making fun of his dialogue and plots (well, I guess those are Kurosawa's Laughing) I am often struck at the inventive universe he made. Really transformed film and fiction.

Whill wrote:
I took a couple hours to read this.

Looking forward to doing the same, thanks for posting it.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had time for the first four pages and can say only one thing....

Shocked

Holy Crap, The Flannelled one is a genius
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I only had time for the first four pages

Me too.

On the one hand, I agree that Red Letter's review was overly dismissive of Lucas' "poetry" comments. I noticed, and enjoyed, many of the little visuals that harked back to some other scene earlier in the trilogy. I've listened to the commentaries for all the films (I think) and read the Secret History, so I've appreciated his intent in filling out the saga. And he did a fine job of it; I certainly couldn't. And of course his sheer imagination really is beyond reproach I think.

But there's an awful lot of really poor plot and dialogue overlooked here. It's fine to defend child Anakin as a conscious choice to emphasize the tragedy of Vader. I didn't hate that aspect of TPM, although I'd have traded that for more awesome Obi-Wan/Jedi adventure in Episode I of the saga. That doesn't excuse "Yippeeee!" and "I'm going to miss you mom".

It's also fine to defend the child-Anakin choice as a way to make a movie more "light", but that doesn't explain why TPM is then leadened with a obtuse tax controversy and goofy tactical choices by supposed military masters. The Red Letter scene with the two kids staring at the galactic C-Span debates was right on, IMO.

And I'm not picking on TPM per se, I've watched it many times and really love the characters, and the world-building. I like Qui-Gon (although again I like Red Letter's "Qui-Gon Gin" character better, I wonder if Lucas WAS channeling the immortal Failed Jedi template when he wrote him) and young Obi-Wan and Padme.

The AotC plot is even more obscure, with the unfortunate "mystery" that makes little sense, the 1000m "toxic dart" murder of a bounty hunter by another bounty hunter, etc. And the love scenes are just indefensible. Those in ESB are very much like the serials; those in AotC are worse than telenovelas.

So, that's my .02. It's a very eloquent and impassioned revelation of the depth and genius of Lucas' skill at cinematography and story structure, and (although the author didn't touch on this) reminded me again that lots and lots of things in the PT were impossible for filmmakers at the time he started filming the OT. ILM and Lucasfilm and Skywalker Sound all have unbelievably changed fillmmaking. But this defense really does conveniently overlook the real shortcomings of plot and dialogue in the PT, and some unfortunate casting choices that really need not have been made.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never listened to/watched this Red Letter review thing. I really don't even understand the mindset of having a negative reaction to an aspect of a franchise that you love, and then seeking out additional and more formalized criticisms of it. But then again I am a very critical person myself with very high standards, so I don't need any help with criticism. Cool

Barrataria wrote:
But there's an awful lot of really poor plot and dialogue overlooked here. It's fine to defend child Anakin as a conscious choice to emphasize the tragedy of Vader. I didn't hate that aspect of TPM, although I'd have traded that for more awesome Obi-Wan/Jedi adventure in Episode I of the saga. That doesn't excuse "Yippeeee!" and "I'm going to miss you mom".

It's also fine to defend the child-Anakin choice as a way to make a movie more "light", but that doesn't explain why TPM is then leadened with a obtuse tax controversy and goofy tactical choices by supposed military masters. The Red Letter scene with the two kids staring at the galactic C-Span debates was right on, IMO.

And I'm not picking on TPM per se... (although again I like Red Letter's "Qui-Gon Gin" character better, I wonder if Lucas WAS channeling the immortal Failed Jedi template when he wrote him) and young Obi-Wan and Padme.

The AotC plot is even more obscure, with the unfortunate "mystery" that makes little sense, the 1000m "toxic dart" murder of a bounty hunter by another bounty hunter, etc. And the love scenes are just indefensible. Those in ESB are very much like the serials; those in AotC are worse than telenovelas.

So, that's my .02. ...But this defense really does conveniently overlook the real shortcomings of plot and dialogue in the PT, and some unfortunate casting choices that really need not have been made.

I realize the critical review was referenced, but the Star Wars Ring Theory is not really a "defense" at all, and there is nothing "overlooked". I think that people reading your comments here before reading the document may get the wrong idea. The Star Wars Ring Theory document is what it is. All the observations it makes are factual, and the commentary about them is insightful. No, it purposefully doesn't go into everything there is to say about the films, and truly addressing the criticisms of the prequels is outside the scope and focus of this work.

FYI, at the end of the document or in the comments, the author states that the next Star Wars work he is working on will address the common criticisms of the prequels, and it seems clear that will be the big "defense" sort of document. I'm looking forward to that too, but this is totally different.

Anyway, now that you've got your ".02" off your chest, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts after you finish the article. It gets really deep the last few pages.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I only had time for the first four pages and can say only one thing....

Shocked

Holy Crap, The Flannelled one is a genius

I know, right?!

Barrataria wrote:
jmanski wrote:
I only had time for the first four pages

Me too.

On the one hand, I agree that Red Letter's review was overly dismissive of Lucas' "poetry" comments. I noticed, and enjoyed, many of the little visuals that harked back to some other scene earlier in the trilogy. I've listened to the commentaries for all the films (I think) and read the Secret History, so I've appreciated his intent in filling out the saga. And he did a fine job of it; I certainly couldn't. And of course his sheer imagination really is beyond reproach I think...

TPM... I've watched it many times and really love the characters, and the world-building. I like Qui-Gon...

It's a very eloquent and impassioned revelation of the depth and genius of Lucas' skill at cinematography and story structure, and (although the author didn't touch on this) reminded me again that lots and lots of things in the PT were impossible for filmmakers at the time he started filming the OT. ILM and Lucasfilm and Skywalker Sound all have unbelievably changed fillmmaking.

Respected
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I never listened to/watched this Red Letter review thing. I really don't even understand the mindset of having a negative reaction to an aspect of a franchise that you love, and then seeking out additional and more formalized criticisms of it. But then again I am a very critical person myself with very high standards, so I don't need any help with criticism. 8)

It is rather worth watching, IMHO- it's as eye-opening as people seem to be describing this article... only, in another direction. Wink (I've got this on my kindle and will be reading it soon.)

In terms of not understanding this mindset, though, I think you do; just substitute the word 'EU' for the word 'Prequels.' Wink It is true, as you point out, that it is not very logical for fans of a franchise that find an aspect of it disappointing to wallow in that disappointment... but I think there are a number of reasons...
-To understand it. To take the vague feeling of 'that didn't work' or distaste and analyze WHY it didn't work for them.
-To post-portem a disappointing work and get a critical perspective ('critical' as in 'the process of a critique; a literary or stylistic analysis', rather than 'criticizing') on what worked and didn't work, from another perspective.
-For validation of their own perspective; to discover that there *are* others out there that still feel as they do. It can be maddening to feel like you're the only one that feels a certain way about something, and validation that your belief is shared can be reassuring. (I feel this way after most of the PT/EU conversations on this thread, incidentally. Wink )
-Because sometimes we enjoy seeing what we dislike lambasted (and just as those closest to us can hurt us most, nothing earns a stronger dislike than a 'disappointing' entry in something we really like); conversely, sometimes we, bizarrely, enjoy seeing what we really LIKE mocked (hence celebrity roasts, parody films, etc.)- so, love or hate, sometimes human beings do, for whatever reason, gravitate toward the lambasting of what they have strong feelings for.

I suspect there are other reasons as well, but those are the first four that come to mind. I think a lot of it really does come down to a simple, almost-childlike 'I feel this way about X, but no one else seems to, ad it's making me crazy. I am the only one that feels this way? Am I wrong? Am I alone in this?', which I think is a sort of universal human undercurrent- albeit expressed in many different life-areas, from faith to political beliefs to opinions on media. People probably listen to talk radio for the same reason- partly to educate (as good film criticism does educate on story structure and filmic technique; rather than just saying 'this sucks!', it delves into the 'why' if something works or doesn't, based on the conventions of the craft), and partly to find reinforcement for their own viewpoint- a sense that it is valid and shared; if not universally, at least by SOMEONE else.

Dunno if that makes things any clearer.

Incidentally, Barrataria, well-said; I feel much the same way a lot of times. I see elements of artistry or talent or skill that do legitimately impress me... but by the same token, there are still some things that a purely-positive viewpoint ("It's all brilliant!") just doesn't account for. Smile

But, knowing now that this article is not an 'apologetic' in that sense, but rather a factual analysis related to the Ring Cycle (thanks for the clarification, Whill), I eagerly look forward to reading it!

Hard core OT, all the way!
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I never listened to/watched this Red Letter review thing.
You should. Well, maybe you should watch his review of Avatar, since I imagine you're not as invested in that as with SW. The PT reviews are pretty similar, but longer. Which brings us to...

Whill wrote:
I really don't even understand the mindset of having a negative reaction to an aspect of a franchise that you love, and then seeking out additional and more formalized criticisms of it.
"Criticism" is discussion of the merits AND faults of something, no? So, in my case, the Red Letter reviews were helpful in understanding the things I didn't like about the PT, as well as noticing what I thought he was unfair about, or overly critical of. I like the Robot Chicken cartoons too.

I find one-sided, overly hagiographic criticism of anything rather tedious. I participate on baseball fan boards too, and the same thing happens. The SF Giants have won three world series in five years, so for some fans that means the ownership, general manager, and manager are all infallible and not to ever be questioned for everything, because that makes you a "bad fan" who doesn't support the team.

Apparently, that's what Mike Klimo thinks too. His Google+ page features a few posts about "prequel haters" and this image which "made him laugh":

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KiCMJwpnRB4/VLC3XdwVvUI/AAAAAAAABlE/kzU3hn57KDo/w433-h483/15%2B-%2B1[/img]

I disagree. So, I can enjoy something like the RL reviews, which are a good example of something I can like a lot and criticize at the same time. He made IMO a very unfortunate choice to deliver his insightful reviews "in character", in the persona of a demented Vietnam vet that commits violence against women, even on camera.

It's possible too that as to SW my view is skewed by things like the California Jedi Order and the Temple of the Jedi Order. (BTW, the Jedi Temple site references a bunch of Joseph Campbell just like this essay). I don't mean any disrespect to those folks, but I don't see the films as they do, and this essay reminded me more than a bit of some of the materials from these groups.

Whill wrote:
I realize the critical review was referenced, but the Star Wars Ring Theory is not really a "defense" at all, and there is nothing "overlooked".
RL wasn't "referenced", he's 5 of the 30 footnotes. You may not think of it as a defense of the films, but technically that's what's happening. As you note, he will follow up with an article specifically targeting criticisms of the prequels, which I guarantee will reference this essay more than once. And why will it need to, if the way has already been paved with this article? If you write a nine page essay about what pure genius is on display in the prequels, you probably need to at least consider that, say, noting that there was a love story in both AotC and ESB as part of a grand master plan really whitewashes over the... differences in the particular love stories may make your grand point a little less shiny. It is indeed a defense against negative criticism to say "look at this great deep and elaborate structure" without citing or acknowledging any faults therein.

Whill wrote:
I'm really looking forward to your thoughts after you finish the article. It gets really deep the last few pages.

Thanks, but I saw the Jung and the Joseph Campbell and the Tao Te Ching, and I don't think it resonated for me as much as it did for you. You may (or may not) be surprised to know how many times in a yoga class I've heard something very, very reminiscent of things articulated about the Jedi/Force in the movies, and it's not coincidental. A cynic would say Lucas appropriated Eastern themes to fill out the Jedi belief structure (and without looking I'm sure there are any number of hater-ade sites that do just that), but Mr. Klimo has made a much more eloquent articulation of the ways in which Eastern/New Age philosophy are present in the structure of the saga, and the tightness of that structure.

I certainly don't mean to dissuade anyone from reading the essay, or frankly anything I've quoted in this post. And I am appreciative that you shared it, even if I've managed to make you think otherwise. The d6 board has been sadly quiet lately, and I've really appreciated your efforts the last few months to bring up stuff around here.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
He made IMO a very unfortunate choice to deliver his insightful reviews "in character", in the persona of a demented Vietnam vet that commits violence against women, even on camera.

Plinkett was a Vietnam vet? I did not know that. Yeah, his persona was a bit much; by ROTS, things were getting excessive, even to wade through for the nuggets of humor and filmmaking insight- by Titanic, it was bad enough we couldn't make it through the whole thing. Which is a shame- his Trek and Wars reviews contained some pretty intelligent stuff. (I can never watch First Contact anymore without finding myself wondering "Yeah, what WAS that doorless room for?" Smile

Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Plinkett was a Vietnam vet? I did not know that. Yeah, his persona was a bit much; by ROTS, things were getting excessive, even to wade through for the nuggets of humor and filmmaking insight- by Titanic, it was bad enough we couldn't make it through the whole thing. Which is a shame- his Trek and Wars reviews contained some pretty intelligent stuff. (I can never watch First Contact anymore without finding myself wondering "Yeah, what WAS that doorless room for?" Smile

I thought I heard something about "going to the VA for meds" or some such, so I suppose I surmised from that and the age of the pictures he used. I haven't watched those other reviews, but the SW ones are easier to watch now because I know how long the interludes are and can skip. It's stranger because he does other movie reviews with someone else without the character.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Yeah, I've seen some of those (that they exist; haven't actually watched).

Every time we talk about story characters now, my wife and I reference them as 'Protuh-gonists.' Wink

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I just finished the article.

Wow.

The first few pages I was sort of like... ok, but after the comparisons between Clones and Empire and Sith and Hope.... I was blown away. Then you add the similarities with each respectively (Menace to Hope, Clones to Empire, Sith to Jedi) and it all makes more sense and I saw the beauty of the whole thing.

I now feel like I need to watch the entire series again (in order) to look for the similarities.

I've felt a disconnect with the movies for a time now, especially with VII coming out in December, but this has made the movies exciting again.

ALL of them.

Great read! Thanks Whill!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Every time we talk about story characters now, my wife and I reference them as 'Protuh-gonists.'

Oh, that brings back a memory. I'm pretty sure I did watch the first episode/video of that series. I may take a look for discussion of that in my posts over at D6 Online. IIRC, I didn't think the reviewer's characterization helped his cause, nor did I find it entertaining. But to each his own.

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Whill wrote:
I really don't even understand the mindset of having a negative reaction to an aspect of a franchise that you love, and then seeking out additional and more formalized criticisms of it. But then again I am a very critical person myself with very high standards, so I don't need any help with criticism. 8)

In terms of not understanding this mindset, though, I think you do; just substitute the word 'EU' for the word 'Prequels.'

Respectfully, that's simply incorrect. I have never sought out "validating" criticisms of the EU. I am fairly well-versed with the EU (at least certain corners of it), I have amassed plenty of experience dealing with it, and I feel confident in forming my own criticisms.

And your statement seems prejudice. Please don't lump me into an overly simplified stereotype of "EU-basher" (or even EU-extremely-disappointed-er). There are many EU products I love, that totally positively enhance my experience of the Star Wars franchise as a whole. My only overarching opinion of the EU as a whole is its utter lack of consistency of quality and continuity.

Also, I could cite threads where I have actually been on a mission to seek out solutions to my own criticisms of aspects of publishing canon. Remember how very strongly I feel that the post-2005 franchise giving Anakin an apprentice fundamentally flies in the face of the continuity of the entire film saga? Remember how happy I was when I thought that was getting flushed in the new canon, and then how sad I was to find out that TCW is being ported over to the new canon? I tried, very hard, for an extended period of time, to seek aid from the rest of the forum in finding supportive reasoning that Anakin getting an apprentice doesn't take a dump on the pre-2008 films, just so I could get past that instrumental premise of TCW to maybe be able to accept it in my personal SW canon, or maybe even enjoy them an entertainment.

I have never once sought out "validating" criticism of TCW. (But when I was searching the internet for support of Anakin getting an apprentice, I did happen to run into much more educated opinions by huge fans of TCW that were slowly after several seasons starting to realize to various degrees that the TCW seems to disregard film continuity, when I was actually searching for the opposite).

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
-For validation of their own perspective; to discover that there *are* others out there that still feel as they do. It can be maddening to feel like you're the only one that feels a certain way about something, and validation that your belief is shared can be reassuring. (I feel this way after most of the PT/EU conversations on this thread, incidentally. Wink )

...I think a lot of it really does come down to a simple, almost-childlike 'I feel this way about X, but no one else seems to, ad it's making me crazy. I am the only one that feels this way? Am I wrong? Am I alone in this?', which I think is a sort of universal human undercurrent- albeit expressed in many different life-areas, from faith to political beliefs to opinions on media. People probably listen to talk radio for the same reason- partly to educate (as good film criticism does educate on story structure and filmic technique; rather than just saying 'this sucks!', it delves into the 'why' if something works or doesn't, based on the conventions of the craft), and partly to find reinforcement for their own viewpoint- a sense that it is valid and shared; if not universally, at least by SOMEONE else.

Dunno if that makes things any clearer.

Yes, I'm not like that and don't agree personally, but that does make sense. It does seem like an almost childlike need to fit into a junior high click (hey you said "childlike", I'm only agreeing).

However I am extremely incredulous of the suggestion that prequel-bashers (or prequel-extremely-disappointed-ers) have any trouble finding like-minded, validating opinions and criticisms. Since I have been involved with the Star War online community in the past decade plus, I have been unrelentlessly inundated by prequel-bashing. On Facebook, it is still literally a weekly experience for me to this day. It has thankfully lessened in recent years, but prequel-bashing used to be much more common here on the Pit, and I felt like the outcast. Heavy prequel criticism is nearly ever-present in the world of Star Wars fandom. Among my original generation of Star Wars fans, prequel-bashers are a very vocal majority. I laugh at the image of prequel-detractors timidly searching-out another like-minded fan in validation of their 'rare' and 'controversial' views!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:
I never listened to/watched this Red Letter review thing.
You should. Well, maybe you should watch his review of Avatar, since I imagine you're not as invested in that as with SW.

I love Avatar, but I have no interest in watching or reading any reviews, be they positive, negative or balanced. Avatar is just a movie to me. Thanks anyway though.

Barrataria wrote:
"Criticism" is discussion of the merits AND faults of something, no? So, in my case, the Red Letter reviews were helpful in understanding the things I didn't like about the PT

I think I have a pretty good grip on understanding what I personally didn't like about the prequels. I contemplate Star Wars a lot, and I'm fairly experienced in introspection. But I certainly do believe that you (and Zarm) may have needed help in understanding and formulating your negative reactions to the prequels.

Barrataria wrote:
I find one-sided, overly hagiographic criticism of anything rather tedious...

Apparently, that's what Mike Klimo thinks too. His Google+ page features a few posts about "prequel haters"...

It's possible too that as to SW my view is skewed by things like the California Jedi Order and the Temple of the Jedi Order. (BTW, the Jedi Temple site references a bunch of Joseph Campbell just like this essay). I don't mean any disrespect to those folks, but I don't see the films as they do, and this essay reminded me more than a bit of some of the materials from these groups.

Whill wrote:
I realize the critical review was referenced, but the Star Wars Ring Theory is not really a "defense" at all, and there is nothing "overlooked".
RL wasn't "referenced", he's 5 of the 30 footnotes. You may not think of it as a defense of the films, but technically that's what's happening. As you note, he will follow up with an article specifically targeting criticisms of the prequels, which I guarantee will reference this essay more than once. And why will it need to, if the way has already been paved with this article? If you write a nine page essay about what pure genius is on display in the prequels, you probably need to at least consider that, say, noting that there was a love story in both AotC and ESB as part of a grand master plan really whitewashes over the... differences in the particular love stories may make your grand point a little less shiny. It is indeed a defense against negative criticism to say "look at this great deep and elaborate structure" without citing or acknowledging any faults therein.

Respectfully, Star Wars Ring Theory is not a one-sided, overly hagiographic criticism. It is not a defense against criticisms. Lucas being a genius was my response, not a conclusion of the work. And Klimo nor I were venerating Lucas as a saint. Specifically, Lucas' use of ring narrative structure in the film saga is genius. It doesn't mean that negative things don't also exist in prequels (outside the scope of this work).

I certainly don't feel that every 9-page article on a film series has to address all possible aspects of the films or else be branded as one-sided. And by you researching the author's online presence outside of Star Wars Ring Theory, you seem to be prejudicing yourself against the author as a whole and drawing hasty conclusions about this work. But of course, that's your prerogative. If referencing Joseph Campbell merely reminds you of other Star Wars sites you don't like, then it probably would be best if you didn't bother to finish reading Star Wars Ring Theory. It seems clear you are not going to get into it.

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:
I'm really looking forward to your thoughts after you finish the article. It gets really deep the last few pages.

Thanks, but I saw the Jung and the Joseph Campbell and the Tao Te Ching, and I don't think it resonated for me as much as it did for you.

I don't doubt that. Jung and Campbell are both spiritual fathers of mine, and man how I aspire to be more Tao in life!

Barrataria wrote:
You may (or may not) be surprised to know how many times in a yoga class I've heard something very, very reminiscent of things articulated about the Jedi/Force in the movies, and it's not coincidental.

I'm not surprised at all. My wife is into Yoga. I'm an armchair religious scholar (I only have a minor in Philosophy and Religion).

Barrataria wrote:
A cynic would say Lucas appropriated Eastern themes to fill out the Jedi belief structure (and without looking I'm sure there are any number of hater-ade sites that do just that)

Although Lucas is no stranger to fan criticism, if I were him I would be offended by those accusations of mere appropriation. The Jedi philosophy is very general so it includes Eastern ideas, but at least by the late 90s Lucas became a neo-Buddhist (That's my term - Lucas says the whole San Francisco movie scene are all Buddhists). Lucas' personal affinity for Buddhism is obvious in TPM alone.

Barrataria wrote:
Mr. Klimo has made a much more eloquent articulation of the ways in which Eastern/New Age philosophy are present in the structure of the saga, and the tightness of that structure.

I certainly don't mean to dissuade anyone from reading the essay, or frankly anything I've quoted in this post. And I am appreciative that you shared it, even if I've managed to make you think otherwise. The d6 board has been sadly quiet lately, and I've really appreciated your efforts the last few months to bring up stuff around here.

Sure. A lot of my threads came out of a long private conversation with Zarm in November.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Ok. I just finished the article.

Wow.

The first few pages I was sort of like... ok, but after the comparisons between Clones and Empire and Sith and Hope.... I was blown away. Then you add the similarities with each respectively (Menace to Hope, Clones to Empire, Sith to Jedi) and it all makes more sense and I saw the beauty of the whole thing.

I now feel like I need to watch the entire series again (in order) to look for the similarities.

I've felt a disconnect with the movies for a time now, especially with VII coming out in December, but this has made the movies exciting again.

ALL of them.

Great read! Thanks Whill!

You're very welcome, jmanski. That's so awesome that you've become more excited about the films!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: